Having spent 10 memorable nights at Huvafen, I have to share the experience;
Flying with Emirates was a good choice; no worries about strikes etc, good flight (via Dubai and great ICE IFE on board). Arriving at Male we were met immediately by the Per Aquum rep, baggage collected and directed to the Movenpick cafe for a welcoming glass of freshly squeezed orange, bliss!
After a short rest, we were then shown to our luxury speedboat (fast and clean), to be ferried to our ultimate destination of Huvafen Fushi. The sea was like glass, smooth ride and beautiful views to match, complimented by the beautiful sunshine.
At Huvafen we were met by the General Manager, Noel and the Resort Manager David, along with our Thakaru, Nahula. It was personalised for us, so we felt truly special from that first step onto the island. Nahula then showed us to our accommodation explaining all the facilities the room had to offer (lighting, Bose system, TV, Ipod etc) followed by a tour of the island at our preferred time later that day.
Room:- Spacious, light, plasma TV, Bose sound system, Ipod, large comfy bed that could have slept 3 easily, separate area for tea making, mini bar, then through to the outer courtyard. Well! Day bed, plunge pool, waterfall shower and his and hers washing basins and an additional shower and toilet, completely private so skinny dipping in the pool was such fun! From what I saw, I preferred the bungalows on the beach rather than the water bungalows but that’s just a personal preference.
Food:- The main restaurant, Celsius had a lovely breakfast selection, all presented beautifully. You could also take evening meals here with a good selection on the menu. The staff were very sweet and looked after us well; a real asset to the Management. We ate at Salt one evening, the food was delicious with a fantastic ambiance, very attentive staff and a clear difference to Celsius (but Celsius was still a lovely experience). At the Umbar you have ‘Sundowners’ cocktails at 6:30 every evening, just great to chill and watch the beautiful sunsets, great service also (Conrad gets a special mention).
Trips:- Celebrating birthdays on holiday is always fun, on my partners birthday we were invited to spend a relaxing hour cruising around the island on a traditional Dhoni (accompanied by Azleef who was a perfect host), the sea was like glass, the sunset magnificent; we saw dolphins, flying fish and had the moon on the other side of the sky so what more could you ask for? For my birthday we hired a speedboat for 2 hours, went snorkelling and then had a picnic on a sandbank somewhere yonder, just surreal but I have the pics to prove it! We also went on the House Reef snorkel trip with the resident Marine biologist named Uli, she is so knowledgeable and worth taking some time to talk to her to find out more about the island and the reef. Snorkelling was great, really good conditions on most days so the pics turned out well, especially those of Nemo! The water centre gives a good brief on the reef and the channels that should be used to gain access.
I have to say that you really do have to visit Huvafen to get the full effect. With 43 bungalows it never feels crowded, if you want to do something you just ask your Thakaru (think Girl/Man Friday rather than butler), OK so you will have to pay but it’s all individual to you. That’s the difference; instead of fitting in with the island, you can make the island fit in with you. Unfortunately I now have a headache to try to match this holiday next year :( , but I guess I could always go back.........
Special thanks to all of the Huvafen staff and Management Team, I’d like to say good luck but I don’t think you’ll be needing it. Happy to answer any questions for those of you lucky enough to be booked to travel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Float at infinity's edge. Descend stairs for underground wine. Come out of your shell in the depths of an underwater spa room - the first and only in the world - where colour fish glide past the floor-to-ceiling-windows that reveal the beauty of the reef. Huvafen Fushi, a multi-award winning island resort located only 35 minutes by speedboat from Male, offers 44 naturally modern bungalows and the luxury of 'suites at sea,' traditional Maldivian sailboats fitted out with modern indulgences and the chance to escape and relax in a secluded island paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Huvafen Fushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Huvafen Fushi Island
- Huvafen Fushi Male
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Male
- Huvafen Fushi Huvafen Fushi Island, Maldives