“Paradise found............” 5 of 5 bubbles

PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi
Surrey
“Paradise found............”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from 2 weeks at Huvafen Fushi and before we even left we were planning our return trip next year!

This resort is simply stunning.......not in a "over the top" "gold tap", "bells and whistles" kind of way but in a natural bare foot luxury, utterly relaxing kind of way.

On arrival we were met by the residential manager Shaun and our thakaru Ayshath with a cold fruit cocktail, cold towel infused with lemon grass, we stepped off the speed boat and were addressed by our first names ....instantly we felt like we had come home....Shaun has a warmth which makes you feel at ease and relaxed, safe in the knowledge that he has everything undercontrol.....all that is left for
you to do is to enjoy every second of your holiday.....and we did!

The staff are, without exception, wonderful....so friendly and helpfull with a real "can-do" attitude, nothing is too much trouble and like most things in life, the more you put in, the more you get out. Our thakaru Ayshath was wonderful, and at one point we wondered if she had secretly tagged us when we arrived as she seemed to appear every time we got lost or needed something as if by magic! The bar staff in the UmBar were also fabulous...they remembered our names from day one and Abbu (Ali) kept my husband up to date with the football scores....and the pair of them enjoyed daily discussions about the merrits of Liverpool over Spurs!

The accommodation (we were in a lagoon bungalow) was perfect, lacking nothing and needing nothing.....huge 7ft bed, ipod, tv with dvd player
and surround sound, posh coffee machine,state of the art lighting systems in every room (which took me a couple of days to get to grips with.....due to the fact that I had checked my brain in when I arrived
....as it simply wasnt needed for the 2 weeks we were there!) and speakers on the deck and in the bathroom so the music could follow you
where-ever you went.....lovely! The bathroom was huge with a wonderful
monsoon shower and designer bath which is probably the most comfortable bath I have ever sat in!

Outside there was a huge plunge pool (12ft square) which although was
"refreshing" in its temperature....was essential to cool you down when
the sun got too hot.

The island is surrounded by its own reef and because of this we saw more fish, sharks (only babies!) and stingray than we have ever seen in our lives....the resident Marine Biologist took us snorkling (my first time as I have a fear of what lurks beneath!) and I was captivated...she is so passionate and knowledgable and made me feel completely safe.

And then there was the food.....in a word.... "delicious". We went on a bed and breakfast basis because we wanted to feel like we could eat when we were hungry as apposed to eating because we had already paid for it. The menu in Celcius was interesting and varied from fish and chips (posh....no newpaper here!) to butter chicken curry with the most delicious flat breads, in addition, on most occasions they would have a themed buffet with hot and cold dishes. As if this wasnt enough, they have a beach pizzeria which serves the most delicious pizzas from its own wood burning kiln, Salt which is their luxury dining restaurant and Raw which produces a healthier menu option. Then
there are an array of dining experiences from a lobster bbq to dinner in the vinum which are incredible and we would recommend them particularly the vinum dinner which is held in their underground wine cellar .... 6 courses of divine food plus 8 wines during the evening for you to taste and enjoy.....and you can't not enjoy it as the resident somellier Sonny is there to educate you and enthuse about the
merits of each of the wines....he is hilarious his passion for wine is
infectious!

Finally the spa....I had been really looking forward to the underwater spa and I was not disappointed. The treatment options were endless and the little relaxation room a perfect way to "come to" after whatever you have just had done! I have to admit to never having heard of many of the treatments that they have on offer and have plently more to try on subsequent visits!

I have read some of the other review on Huvafen Fushi and some of them make interesting reading.....well at the end of the day you cannot please all of the people all of the time....but if you want understated luxury, total relaxation, excellent food and peace and quiet....this is for you! If however you need constant entertainment, over the top luxury, and dress up dining for dinner then perhaps you should choose somewhere else.

I have never left a hotel holding back the tears feeling that we were leaving old friends before......but i did this time....as my husbands sunglasses were clamped over his eyes, I suspect he may have experienced a similar sensation....but he'd never admit it of course..
...

P.S. I have written a review on Anantara ....so if you are reading this and thinking that I am someone who is easy to please or never has a bad word to say.....think again and read the other review.....I am fussy and difficult to please and I make no apology for it.... :-)

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
14 Thank MrsTokes01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

This is the last hotel we stayed in the Maldives, after Soneva Gili and Naladhu, and was the one we most looked forward to staying.

It was a short trip to the hotel and as we arrive, we explored the island on a buggy. The island is of a reasonable size, not too large and you can circle around the island in approx 30-40 minutes.

The room we had was the Ocean Bungalow, although they had some mix up with the room type and put us at the Beach Bungalow, it was resolved within 30mins. The Beach Bungalow is smaller in size, with a sitting area facing the ocean, and a private enclosed 'garden' area with bath tub and shower - however this has no view.

Our room has a small living area as you walk in, and with a glass bottom floor which you can look down to the ocean. To the other side of the room there's the bedroom and continue down the corridor the bath room. You can go out to the pool from all 3 areas.

The pool is a lap pool, so you cant really swim in it. However you can step down from your room and then jump into the ocean. It was a great location for snorkelling but when you snorkel around you can look into other's rooms... and vice versa.

The hotel is funky with quite a number of dining options, food is expensive at their fine dining restaurant or their optinal gala dinner night. Would recommend you to go for the full-board or half-board option.

We loved the hotel, though we found it a bit over-rated. Of all 3 hotels we stayed... this would probably be on the bottom of the list, not that it wasnt good but we've had better! The spa is definitely worth seeing, but you can only do massage or facial down there.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank QTSBee
Stourbridge, West Mids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2007

WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE
Perhaps I am a little bias as this wasn't any 'normal' holiday booking. This destination was booked for our Honeymoon.

Expectation was always going to be high as we wanted our Honeymoon to be the holiday of a lifetime, and Huvafen Fushi did not disappoint.

Having used Trip Advisor over many years I did the usual research to make sure we were booking the right place. I compared Huvafen Fushi with many other resorts, and LIKE YOU ARE PROBABLY DOING RIGHT NOW, I read some conflicting reports.

If your planning a trip to the Maldives you are probably booking a Honeymoon, or 'trip of a lifetime'. Do bear in mind that these islands require a level of understanding - they are gorgeous but are never going to compete with towns, cities etc with their facitlities.

Aren't I sounding the expert!

In fact I've only ever been to Huvafen Fushi - but I'm so glad we chose this truely wonderful 'dream' island.

Okay we had fantastic weather - and only one night of rain. But it probably wouldn't have mattered if it had rained more. The facitilites in the SPA are amazing - and the underwater spa massage is a must (don't travel all that way not to experience it).

Beaches are immaculate and serviced many times a day. The staff discretely do their magic rakeing the sand so it's always perfect.

SERVICE is unfaultable. Everyone is so friendly and happy to help where-ever it may be required. The 'butler' service ensures you always have one particular person on hand that knows who you are, where your staying and organises your holiday as YOU want it.

It is not only the butler that helps though. ALL the staff at Huvafen are well trained in customer service. They are smile, say hello when passing and eagerly tend to your needs - DISCRETELY.

My wife and I have stayed at some amazing places over the years, including the Savoy, St Andrews Golf and Spa, and eaten well at The Ivy etc etc, BUT service at Huvafen tops the lot.

FOOD is generally mixed with some evening being themed. I loved the curry whether Maldivian or Sri Lankan. My wife loved the seafood which is probably the best i have ever eaten or seen. Huge Prawns, Lobster, Oysters, etc all amazing.

We stayed in a BEACH BUNGALOW for the first five nights of our stay which was apponted much better than I had expected. The SEMI out-door bathrooms are out of this world. Not just well designed but clean! and cleaned TWICE a day. Extra's like the IPOD's sound great thru the BOSE speaker system. Beds are HUGE - I have never slept in such a comfortable bed in all my life (all 34years of it so far!)

For our last five nights we moved on to the OCEAN BUNGALOW. Words can not describe the beauty or size of such accomodation - OVER WATER. Appointments are greater still in comparison to the Beach bungalow, and just as well maintained.

For us the OCEAN BUNGALOW had the edge, but we would have been just as happy at the beach.

If you want true luxury this is the resort. If you want excellent service, this is the resort.

Any down falls? Well just one. The bottled water in the restaurants is very expensive! $11 when we were there (effectively £6.50). Our total drinks bill over the ten days of our stay totalled £750, of course this wasn't all water - we really enjoyed the wine, which I mustn't forget to mention comes from the MOST INCREDIBLE wine cellar (do try the tasting sessions!!)

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about Huvafen Fushi, just email me!

• Liked — The extremely well appointed bungalows, both those at beach and over water
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
18 Thank AdamPritchard
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

Simply paradise, went on our honeymoon and it was perfect. Stayed at the Ocean Bungalow, with a lovely view of the ocean. Service was discreet and it felt like that we had the whole island for ourselves. Would go back again.....

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sahgal
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stay in 5 and 5+ star hotels throughout the world , and this is excellent, in all aspects . One of the best in the Maldives. Mark (the general manager) was superb - very in touch with what his guests are looking for in a first class hotel. Shame the rest of the staff don't smile as much as he does - because at the Banyan Tree (see our report!!) they all smile all of the time . Very little to find wrong with this place except I would suggest they get the dive boats fixed as the one they are using makes it very diifficult , to get back onto the boat as the steps are not designed for divers , with heavy tanks on their backs. Food very good. The cellar gourmet meal is a must. In all, a great island resort. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Wardrobe space
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HelenFe
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

Loved the Maldivian staff we encountered. The food was good especially the Raw bar but not what I have come to expect in the Maldives. If you are a discerning traveller and interested in the ethics of the company who own this property you it's worth Googling Per Aquum and the shareholders. I got the impression that making money was their only concern. I will be spending ours elsewhere in the future.

• Liked — we were given VIP treatment but did not pay for this. If we had I'd have to say the fibre optics in the pool excited us for a night and the entertainment systems were as good as we have at home. It was great to be able to pop your own Ipod in.
  • Disliked — the hairy rugs because creatures lived in them!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank zanzibartrip
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

If you are a high-end person, then this resort is not for you. It is a small resort that does have all the amenties, such as a spa, and water sports center, however, if you yearn to be pampered then I suggest you stay at Reethi Rah. I think the highlight of this resort is the spa with a wellness center. The resort is in strong need of a facelift and a strong brush of color, since the spa is called 'Lime', of lime with a touch of tourqoise blue would be my choice. I would redo all the pillows throughout the resort which would quickly transform the look of the resort. The main restaurant called Celcius needs to have the main buffet station remodeled and the furniture must go. Here again I would go with the their main color of brown incoporating lime green and tourquise throughout the room. Customers should never see the bus stations and this sloppy aspect of all their restaurants annoyed me. The other main restaurant 'Salt' needs to be renovated also. It is great to see a preparation station, but customers should never see the dishwasher in the background cleaning dishes. If you have an open workstation, then it should be clean in appearance at all times. Again the bus station was in the open in this restaurant also. The food was fair although I saw that they really tried to give a good presentation. One nice point was they had a restaurant called 'Raw' which made healthy choice meals at lunchtime. Again the open preparation area needs to be kept organized for the guests that can see staff working. The main point of this hotel is the spa, and they have underwater treatment room which was nice, but also needed a quick facelift because it appeared a bit dated. The staff at the hotel are pleasant and the island is small so every facility is in walking distance. With the present state of the resort, the rates are much too high. The villa is OK. The plunge pool is in the bathroom which could offer the guest nude bathing or a more private rondevous in the pool. If you like that Four Seasons touch this is not your resort, you might as well stay at Four Seasons which has two resorts in the Maldives. The speed boat transport could have been a bit nicer. The drive to the resort was a nightmare because the boat was in poor quality banging on the waves all the way to the resort, so an upgrade in transporation service to the island would also be my suggestion. But not everyone has the same preferences when staying on an island, so if you want to enjoy a quiet time with fair facilities and you don't really require a high-end experience then this may be a nice resort for you. There is not a kids club, so I would not recommend it to families that require this type of facility. It is more ideal for couples wanting to get away for a quiet week who don't acquire a pallette for the nicer things in life.

Stayed September 2007
11 Thank MaryMorgan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huvafen Fushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,710 reviews
One&Only Reethi Rah
One&Only Reethi Rah
#1 of 1 in Reethirah Island

Been to PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi? Share your experiences!