“Lovely Island”

Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first trip to the Maldives. We visited for 5 nights after having been in Sri Lanka for 8 nights.
The island is lovely, the room was basic but very large and well situated (beach bungalow). The bathroom was lovely - very modern and large. The outside shower was a fun novelty. For anyone interested, there is also an indoor one too!
We found the service good and everything was very clean and well organised.
We were on a full-board basis and really enjoyed the food.
After having been very busy during our Sri Lankan holiday, I did find it difficult to adjust to doing nothing! There are many sporting activities here but they are not really my thing.
We did go on a 2 hr snorkelling boat trip but although we did see many types of fish, I was so disappointed to see more dead coral than live. There were no colours there and the shallow reef we were taken to was being trampled on by our guests on the trip. Care of the reef should be promoted whereas I didn't feel it was. We set off on the trip 10 minutes late and arrived back 15 minutes early. When we have paid for a 2 hr trip I felt a little let-down. I noticed the trip the following days followed the same time-table also so beware.
Would I return? - No because I realise this is not my type of holiday. I didn't realise how hard I would find it to relax and how much I would miss the hussle and bussle of my usual type of holiday.
However, there is nothing wrong with this island at all in my opinion.
The snorkling was okay, the marine life interesting and I have never seen such amazing bat-birds!

Room Tip: There wasn't an area on the island which I wouldn't have been happy with. We only stayed in...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Paradise Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We are currently staying in a beautiful resort on a neighbouring island - it is our honeymoon.... However, the entire experience is being ruined by the behaviour of the management at Paradise Island; they have a group staying the resort who apparently have an 'entertainment programme' - which involves INCREDIBLY loud music being blasted out through super strength speakers starting from about 2am and running until about 6am (this has now happened two nights in a row). The music is so loud that each track being played is easily discernible - it is impossible to sleep or relax for anyone within earshot (I cannot imagine what it must be like for those staying in the Paradise Island resort who are not part of the 'group' - being on a neighbouring island is pretty unbearable). I go to Ibiza every year and I am all for having fun in the right pace at the right time in such a way that does not upset others...but the Maldives is simply not a place to which people come in order to party into the small hours - it is a place for relaxation, where people seek refuge from the hustle and bustle of city life... The fact that the management at Paradise Island have permitted this level of noise to be blasted out across the beautiful and peaceful waters of the atoll two nights in a row (despite the desperate entreaties of the management at our resort, whose guests are being deprived of sleep) is totally scandalous - clearly they have little regard for anything other than the money being handed over by this wealthy group of people. The Maldives are astonishingly beautiful and a place for peace and quiet - but the management of this resort are happy to ruin the 'once in a lifetime' holidays of others and create huge problems for the management teams of neighbouring resorts, whose efforts to provide their guests with relaxing holidays in this magnificent part of the world are being sabotaged by the selfishness of their colleagues. I imagine Paradise Island is a beautiful resort, but potential guests should be aware of the attitude of it's management - they are facilitating hugely antisocial behaviour which is ruining our holiday (as well as the holidays of many others) and completely at odds with this lovely environment - but they simply do not care so long as it is lucrative for them.... This is hugely disappointing and unworthy behaviour.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank adimsdalegill
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The resort itself is pretty close to what the name itself suggests - "paradise". Some of the beach scenery here is stunning, too.
However, having read some other reviews on this resort earlier, I would just like to put a perspective on things. Personally, I would only come here for the experience to stay in the
Water Villas. Many other island resorts, especially back in my home country Malaysia, have water villa facilities, but the experience here is like no other. With a lagoon and relatively calm seawaters, it's an amazing experience to be able to literally jump into the sea from your backyard. In furtherance, the service for the water villas is fantastic. We took a half-board package, and all the meals are served at the Lagoon Restaurant (which by the way, is also above the water and with fishes like baby sharks and stingrays swimming around - you can actually feed the fishes). The buffet at the Lagoon Restaurant only caters to the residents of the 40 Water villa properties. So, it is un-crowded and you get personalized attention from the waiters.....and yes, you can actually take some faboulous picture shots there too. In our case, we had a two-year baby with us (again, some of you will probably be thinking that it would be a better idea to go to Maldives just couples alone - I've yet to convince my wife on this), and the waiters were quick to take her away and keep her occupied with the fishes, whilst we enjoyed our meals in peace and privacy. What a bliss!
Now, if you were to stay in any of the other properties on the island, i.e beach or garden bungalows, the experience wouldn't be anywhere near the same.
Firstly, if you took a full-board or half-board package, your meals are likely to be at the main restaurant. You'll be sharing the space with guests from the other 200-odd bungalow properties. And as I've read in some past reviews, it can get very noisy and crowded (not exactly what you want on a tranquil holiday). It's probably a "cultural" difference and no disrespect to my Chinese friends......but yes, I agree that the tourists from mainland China can get very noisy indeed. I happen to be sitting in one of the lounges at 7.30 pm one evening, and it was the starting time for buffet dinner. Suddenly, a swarm of people appeared out of nowhere, heading to the main restaurant and really, creating a ruckus. There must've been at least 50-70 of them.Thankfully for wife and I, we were headed to the Lagoon Restaurant after our drinks.
Secondly, in terms of beach front properties, you will find many other valuable options in countries like Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. There are some fabulous resorts there too. So, you could probably get the same experience at better value prices (the prices in Maldives, are a little inflated, of course). I read some reviews from the Indian tourists who were staying at the beach bungalows and it was probably their first time - they mentioned how amazing it was. My advice....you've got to visit some of the islands in Malaysia and Thailand - equally fantastic, and probably less crowded too in some places.
Thus, all in all, though the Water Villas are going to cost you a lot more than the beach bungalows, it is the only option that is worth paying for here. We are glad that we did. We will return to Maldives, but probably to try some other water villas at other resorts. If our experience there can match what we experienced at Paradise Island Resort, we will be more than happy.

Room Tip: Only water villas for me, please.....any will do !
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank RajBajwa
Reviewed November 3, 2012

From the flight to the island, the name of the island is how you feel, all i can say is our 7 days there was great. The service, food and friendly smiles is all you can ask for. I cannot say anthing bad about this hotel or our stay there. GReat

Room Tip: Choose the overwater rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tony L
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Excellent resort for relaxing and spending few days away from everything.
It was the best choice for our trip to Maldives. Very good value for money, excellent service, stunning views, amazing buffet and crystal clear waters.
It is very close to Male' International Airport and we traveled with speed boat.
We were welcomed with a cocktail and they gave us a short orientation about our stay.
It's a perfect destination for honeymooners!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Costisss
Reviewed October 30, 2012

You know when you see pictures on the net and imagine yourself on those islands, living it is totally different. Paradise Resort I consider it one of the best resorts I've ever been for many reasons:
- It's Close the Male' International Airport
- There Water Villas are so clean and their location are so private
- The Water at front of you is so amazing just enjoy the view
- The varieties of the activities are reasonable, you could enjoy all water sports
- The Restaurants and bars have alot of choises such as chinese, seafood, and italians food
- Every night they have entertainments to enjoy like dancing, singing, and performing some of their cultural dancing
- and what is so important is thier stuff are so kind and they serve you 24 hours and god witness we never got any bad behavior from them

I could go on and on and talk about this wonderful experience, but these are my summery for this island. Just piece of adivce try to chose the timing for arrival and departure because check in and check out is afternoon only.

Room Tip: To enjoy more go for water or haven villas
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fa9ool
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Paradise island was stunning , my partner and I found the friendly staff and service on this island excellent. Fantastic snorkelling scuba diving and perfect for what we needed. A great choice in restuarant food and overall a fabulous little island. However we have both been bitten by bed bugs so badly that upon our return needed to see our doctor. We stayed in the beach bungalows and found that other people holidaying had also been bitten . We originally thought it to be mosquito bites. Our beautiful suntan is no more as we are completely covered. We have both never experienced anything like this before and can honestly say will never be returning to paradise!!!!! We fell in love with the people and they gave us an amazing service so this has made us very sad!

Room Tip: Try the water bungalows they may not be infested with bed bugs!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Elisha C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lankanfinolhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives

Been to Paradise Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!