“Best holiday I have ever had”

Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I am writing this review while I am still in chaaya dhonveli resort. It is the best experience you will ever have. From the minute you land on there shore you are welcomed with the smile and politeness. I have been to many excursions but my best would be sunset fishing, maybe because I caught a big fish.
I would like to thank the gentleman who Looked after us at the swimming pool everyday, the cooks who made different and delicious meals for us each day, always told us what type of meat it was as we do not eat beef. Big thank you to Ahmed who was our waiter I could not fault him. He was courteous and would always ask us if we needed anything.

We are currently staying in room 809 water bungalow the view is breath taking. The room is very spacious as well as the bathroom. You even have your own back yard that has two sun loungers and table and chair.

I would recommend this holiday to anyone definitely will be back ap

Room Tip: Recommend the water bungalows
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Shakuntala A
Chaaya Island D... G, Guest Relations Manager at Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Greetings from the Dhonveli team!

Thank you for your very enthusiastic lines. How gratifying it is for us to read from you while you’re staying with us. It’s visible that your holiday is fantastic and met your expectation.

We will share your positive feedback with the entire team and certainly we are glade that will have the honor of hosting once more.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,469)

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 1 week at the end of May and had a great time. The weather was great, food was wonderful and the people incredibly friendly.

We were picked up at the airport by speedboat and taken to the Island, took about 20min. There was a storm on the way and by the time we got to the Island the heavens opened. I have never see rain like it before in my life (and we live in England). The next morning we woke up we were met by wonderful sunshine and that was the norm through out. We couldn't have wished for better weather.

The food was very good and every night they have a different theme night. There chefs work incredibly hard and is always there with a smile and looking for a chat. The curries I had here is better then anything I've ever had in London. I cant speak highly enough of everyone that works in the restaurants so would be unfair to single anyone out.

Going to the Maldives you would tend to spend most of your time in or around the water, which is the way it should be. But, walking around the Island you cant help but be impressed how well its being maintained. We stayed in a beach bungalow and would definitely recommend it. You walk straight out into the sea were the snorkelling is incredibly. We bought a book of "fish in the Maldives" before we went and saw approx 70% just snorkelling around the Island.

All in all it was a brilliant holiday and we are looking to go back next year, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gawie3

Greetings from Dhonveli team and staff!

Thank you for your quick feedback on your busy schedule. We are delighted to know that you love the natural beauty of Maldives and our verity of food selection. I will pass your compliments to out chef and other colleges. They will be delight to know that they made you feel wonderful..

Thank you and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is the first time we have been to the Maldives and I can certainly say this was better than I could have imagined...
The Island is sand covered, the moment you step off the speed boat the charm of the island takes you in..
We stayed in a water bungalow which was amazing!! very spacious, very large bed and bathroom. There is a jacuzzi style bath like your own hot tub in the bathroom with large walk in shower. Both bathroom and bedroom look out from large windows (which can be opened!) on to the sea- may be either ocean or lagoon facing. There is a balcony with 2 sun loungers on and steps which go down into the sea.. Your room boy cleans your room twice a day!
The wonderful thing about this island is one side gets the waves- perfect for surfing, the other side has a lagoon and beach- the lagoon has no waves which means crystal clear waters which are very warm and full of amazing coloured tame fish! Snorkelling gear is a must the underwater world is truly unforgettable here.. although this island does not have a reef itself it has plenty of coral attracting loads of fish. If your lucky you may even see the amazing black tipped coral sharks! You are able to snorkel from your bunglow to the beach but better at medium to low tide. The hotel put on plenty of reasonable priced excursions- snorkelling with manta rays, dolphin safaris, island hopping, submarines, sea plane photos experience.
The staff are all very welcoming and friendly, we were all inclusive however somethings are not included in this- this didn't cause us any bother. There is food 3x a day in the main restaurant and between there is a snacks served in the main bar and coffee and cake time. The food is great with a real selection for everyone. There is a different theme for food each night. There is some evening entertainment however this is a little limited. They put on beach and pool parties when we were there but you had to buy tickets for this to give unlimited cocktails. Although reasonable priced it wasn't something we wanted to do as we were all inclusive. In all you will not be disappointed if you go to this island it is the most amazing holiday I have had...

Room Tip: Recommend a lagoon facing water bungalow over an ocean facing bungalow.
5  Thank gemma3746

Greetings from the Dhonveli team!

Thank you for your review of your brilliant review. I am happy to hear that you fell in love with Maldives. We are delighted that our resort met with your expectations and that your holiday was fantastic. As a hotel we are dedicated to ensuring that our guests have the best possible experience and our entire team is geared towards making this a reality.

We will share your positive feedback with the entire team and certainly trust that we will have the honor of hosting once more.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Parrot fish, trigger fish, pipe fish, angel fish,rays, loaches, eels, cuttle fish (wow!), black tipped reef sharks (double wow!!) etc etc, what more do I need to say. All seen snorkeling in the sheltered bay straight off the beach.
Whilst I agree with ALL of the previous reviews, both good and bad, we were well prepared in advance for the negative aspects of Chaaya Island. I believe that this is the only way to get the most from your holiday on this little gem. Once you know that it will not be perfect you can gloss over the negatives and truly appreciate the positives. I will truly miss the lizards in the rooms but I will not miss the ants, but they are not interested in you, so why would you worry about them.
This is an island of two halves. The sheltered bay is truly hot and perfect for topping up a golden tan and the opposite side is refreshing and breezy to cool down with a lunch time drink whilst appreciating the energetic acrobatics of the surfers as they conquer Pasta Point.
This is a truly chilled out island. I have not travelled to The Maldives before so I can only compare with Egypt or The Caribbean. There were no traders trying to sell their wares on the beach, no one tried to get me to join in with water aerobics or beach volleyball, no one tried to sign me up for excursions (there were trips available from reception) The young ladies at the Spa didn't do the daily tour to try and sell their beauty treatments. It was so nice not to have loud party music blasted out from the speakers to get you in the party mood. Basically everything was there if you wanted it but no one thought it was necessary to pressure sell it to you. It was heaven to just be left alone to chill out and people watch.
Just in case the management are reading this I would like to re-iterate what other people have said, please, please offer a drink service on the beach. It is normal in the Caribbean to have a drink on the beach, plastic glasses are normally used. That was the only thing that was missing from our perfect holiday break.
I loved the feel of sand between my toes for two weeks, no dress code for dinner, just come as you feel comfortable.
The beach bungalows were perfect. I would not want an over water suite or bungalow as for me, it is all about the beach and access to the ocean where swimming and snorkellng was just about perfect. I heard, and saw, that the currents were quite strong at the suites and I did not see anyone swimming near their rooms there.
The food was very good for the first week but there was a change in week 2
when the majority of guests were Oriental as apposed to European. My husband, who likes plain food, found it difficult in the second week to find anything to his taste. I did not have any problem!!
This is a fantastic island and we will be back, just be prepared for the fact that it is not 'all inclusive' there are restrictions but this is The Maldives and therefore there will be compromises. They are well worth making.
The best bar service is in the Surfers Bar - they work very hard to make sure you are happy. The best sunset is at the far end of the island (near the over water suites), it's quite windy there so take your sun glasses. There is a small all inclusive bar there but it is tucked behind the restaurant.
I would tell you which are the best beach bungalows but then you will all book them and they won't be available next time we book - so I won't :-)
I am going to re-book tomorrow for 2015 - so you can see how much I loved it!

9  Thank kazzey
Chaaya Island D... G, Guest Relations Manager at Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear, Kazzey,
Greetings from all of us here in Chaaya Island Dhonveli

Please accept our genuine and big thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and extensive commentary.

We are pleased to noted that your overall stay was good, I will share your feedback to our team members and rest assured that, We do take your comments seriously and we are currently looking on it in order to improve.

All your constructive comments are noted, You will be glad to see upon your next visit, the many changes to the Island, and I would certainly recommend to stay in the Over Water Suite or Water Bungalow, Where you can access directly to the water snorkelling.

May I take this opportunity to Thank you again for your valuable feedback. Our entire team at Chaaya Island Dhonveli, Look forward to welcoming you back to experience our resort at it's best
Warm Regards from all of us

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This place is great. We loved it and will be back and would happily recommend this place.

The downside:

The "All In" is more like full board. Your mini bar is charged, the beach bar is charged. Your not supposed to take drinks out of the main bar or restaurant. Tip the serving staff early and you will get better service.

The Aussie surfers can turn chow time into feeding time at the zoo. Keep your elbows up and you'll be able to compete with the dingo's for some food. Ment with affection from a whinging pom ;)

4  Thank ALynchy76
Chaaya Island D... G, Guest Relations Manager at Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Dear, Alynchy76,
Greetings from all of us
It was a pleasure welcoming you here at Chaaya Island Dhonveli and Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

We are pleased to note that your overall stay was wonderful, I will share your feedback to our team members and assured that we take your comments seriously and we are currently looking on it in order to improve.

We truly value your feedback and we appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, And it is our hope that you will give us the oppurtunity to better serve you

Between selecting your next visit date, Be it for here or at one of our sister properties, Do let us know, If i can be of any assistance
Warm regards

Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is kind of a first vacation trip for the two of us. Have traveled a lot with friends but not just the two of us. We took a suite over water to have the best experience though it was the most expensive suites on the island, it was totally worth it.

There were always some or the other sort of activities in the island at the evenings like the cultural dance(which was ok), musical nights of different languages. They sang a Indian song dedicating it just to me and my husband. One evening they conducted a crab race. Never heard of it before. One evening they performed some acrobatics.

Coming to the island. Its a beauty. My camera couldn't do justice to what we have seen. Some pics were just like a screen saver/wall paper. They had a private lagoon which was the biggest advantage. We were able to experience the snorkeling and scuba diving provided by the Island(Of course extra charge but not so expensive). I have hydrophobia, yet the instructor and my husband guided me into the waters, never thought I would do that in my life. Ahh, an amazing experience, the water creatures, corals, Oh my God! Beautiful. They have other motorized water rides and the island also features, options to choose different experiences, like the submarine, tour of the Male downtown and presidential place(All with extra charge but not very expensive).
Because of the restaurant dedicated to the suite over water we had the best food(except for the blue male fish-a bad sea food experience). The chef's were very dedicated and passionate. Loved the food too. They remember what you had the other night and suggest you with different options not in the menu. Though the food options were buffet, you could choose how you want your food to be made.

On the last day, we had a the experience of the couple massage which was also wonderful and relaxing. Besides, lack of information for some of the workers and disappointing sea food, everything else was excellent.I am a lazy morning person, so I just wished they had the breakfast buffet longer than 9:30. Just to make it to the buffet I be there by 9. :)

To end it, best vacation ever.

Room Tip: For couples - choose suite over water for the once in a life time experience. If you think you drin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sowjanya R
Chaaya Island D... G, Guest Relations Manager at Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear, Sowjanya R Denver Colorado,
Greetings from Chaaya Island Dhonveli
Wow! What to say? Your generous comments and kind compliments are much appreciated by the whole team.

When reading your feedback, I could see the joy and pride of all, as the clearly exceeded your expectations, I'm sure that you thorough comments will furthur assist many in making their decision of where to come, when opting to make the Maldives their choice destination.

All your constructive comments are noted., You will see upon your next visit , the many changes to the culinary and dining options as this is already being reviewed by our team from the kitchen
It is with great delight that we all look forward to welcoming you back to Chaaya Island Dhonveli, or possibly one of our sister properties.
Warm Regards!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Overall, stay was quite pleasant. I was staying there during beginning of june in their over water suite.The only disappointing part was that there's some hiccups during the booking stage of the hotel room. Therefore I need to fork up additional USD700+ for the stay for my 2 children. During the payment time, the manager had told me they will look into the matter & ask me to make the full payment first. Upon investigation, they will refund the rightful amount back to me. After being back to my own country, I wrote back to them regarding this refund. It had been already 1 month, there's no reply from them at all. Very disappointed in this kind of service, I just need an satisfactory reply & answer from them. Despite sending them numerous email, they just don't want to reply at all. Totally speechless in this kind of service

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
12  Thank icychew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farukolhufushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos
Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives

Been to Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives? Share your experiences!