“Best sleep I've ever had”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Sydney
“Best sleep I've ever had”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

When I first stepped inside the hotel, I already started to doubt the stay would be good. Checking in was a breeze with the Priority Guest web check-in service. Reception was friendly and things started looking better. I was given my Taronga Zoo tickets in an envelope which I felt excited about. We parked the car in the underground parking - there was only one spot left luckily for us!

When I stepped into the room I saw that the chocolate dipped strawberries were on the table - phew I thought, luckily that was done otherwise I'd have to ruin the surprise for my partner and call reception ):

The hotel I admit is a little bit dated. Our room was a little dusty. When I grabbed the kettle to boil water for tea I realised there was still water in it, had to wash the kettle because I didn't feel like calling reception for another one.

We decided to call reception to ask for a list of nearby restaurants, they had someone bring it up to us. At the end of it we thought we'd just order room service. Unfortunately being a vegan, I was unable to have a hearty meal so I ordered the steamed edamame beans to snack on. They were pretty gross ): I'd never had edamame beans before so I don't know how theyre supposed to taste but they were furry and hard. My partner on the other hand had a burger and he absolutely loved it.

I had the best sleep in a hotel I've ever had in my life. The bed was so amazing I am planning to buy one. I knocked out so hard and fast when I jumped into bed I didn't want to wake up when the alarm went off for breakfast.

Breakfast was another drag - had to have cereal & soymilk with bread & peanut butter (being a vegan). My partner seemed to like the breakfast buffet though he thinks there should be more options! I was extremely pleased with the free Wi-Fi on ground floor, it was pretty fast internet.

I was extremely impressed with reception staff after they offered us Umbrellas (they gave us a massive one each) because it was raining that day and we went to the zoo anyway. They supplied us with maps on how to drive there and gave us verbal directions for reassurance.

I didn't want to go home at the end of my stay ): I had a great experience although some of the above might sound negative, it is far from it, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. I loved the friendliness of the staff (all types of staff, reception, restaurant, room service, house keeping, mini bar) and how they try to go out of their way to help, I loved the "homely" feel and I loved being able to sleep in a strange place due to the best best best bed I've ever slept in.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
Dear bears345,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent visit to Rydges North Sydney.

It is great to know that, while there were some minor issues, you were able to enjoy your time at the hotel.

Once again, it is refreshing to find that our staff are continually delivering great service and that our guests feel welcome no matter which department they are dealing with.

I am disappointed to learn that your experience with Mundo, our Restaurant wasn’t quite as pleasing to you, and hope that in the future, you are able to enjoy a decent meal with your partner. I will pass on your comments to our Food & Beverage Manager regarding this.

Good to hear that you were able to take advantage of our Wi-Fi, Dream Beds and Taronga Zoo package.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
New Zealand
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This hotel is just great and the service exceptional!
I was new to sydney at the time and was disappointed there was no pool or gym but that did not matter in the end.

I had a late night and got back early in the morning- I was starving...the orders for breakfast had to be placed outside your door before 2am but I tried anyway to order over the phone around 6:30am.. a friendly young lady managed to stay friendly on the phone and help me decide on a meal that I wanted and around my budget as well.. I usually fuss with overpriced breakfast meals hehe...
I actually fall back asleep soon after then by the time they could get a hold of me she came up to give me my breakfast at a comfortable price of $10 for 2 hot poached eggs on toast with 2 hash browns delivered to my room!

I checked out early around 5pm on my second night to stay closer to central sydney, the hotel advise me that next time if I tell them before 3pm I could get my money back for this night I paid for. Most hotels wouldnt dream of advising such a thing right.

Overall the rooms are very cosy with a good enough parkside view as well, very quiet and spacious bathroom sink area, bath. all for a great Priority Guest Members rate of $119ASD.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for just the right invited feeling!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dear Particularwhynot,

We would like to thank you for your lovely review on your time at Rydges North Sydney recently.

I am very delighted to hear of your enjoyable stay with us, and the comfort of your room and the Dream Bed, and pleased that staff were exceptional in their service.

It’s great that you were able to enjoy some benefits of our priority membership program, as well as a lovely breakfast while you were here.

It’s unfortunate you had to cut your time short with us; however we would love to welcome you back in the future should you ever be in the Sydney area again.
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We almost cancelled after finding such negative reviews. Stayed in 2 bed apartment 213. This doesn't try to be a luxury hotel, it simply supplies all the necessaries in a spacious, quiet way. The beds are very comfortable. Okay, it is approaching the day when it will have to refurbished, but for now we will give it a big tick. It is the best 3 star hotel we have stayed in.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Dear Topperthedog,

Thank you for your positive feedback on your stay with us while in Sydney recently.

It’s great to read that you did not cancel your trip and that we were able to provide a comfortable stay for and your family.

I am happy to hear that your room was spacious and quiet enough for you and that you enjoyed the comfort of the Dream Beds.

We are currently in the process of refreshing the hotel, including repainting the rooms etc and we would love to see you again in the future
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed here two or three times in the last year. This is an ok, quite dated hotel. Way too expensive (AUD 190-280) for what they offer, but what can you? There's only three or four hotels in this very busy area. The food in the restaurant is quite good. Generally, I would recommend staying on the city-side of the bridge for better value for money. There's more competition there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, August 1, 2010
Dear Schmidtlock,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Rydges North Sydney.

I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time while staying with us over the last year. It is disappointing that we have not been able to deliver and that you have felt this on these occasions.

I’m happy to read, however, that you had a good experience in our restaurant, Mundo, and that you were able to enjoy some of the great food we offer on our Tapas menu.

Thanks again for your comments, and I do hope we see you in the future.
Brisbane
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I was looking for reasonable priced accommodation with in Sydney CBD, as it was a public holiday the prices were raised, so my friend found this hotel some 40% cheaper, 5 minute walk from North Sydney train station, spacious rooms, very good staff and a nice breakfast.

What was also good it was very quiet, so if you don't mind walking to a train station, and taking two stops to Wynyard (you get to go over the harbour bridge each time can't be bad).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Dear just_brisbane,

Thank you for your positive feedback of your time at Rydges North Sydney. It’s always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their time and that good customer service has been delivered.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy our Buffet breakfast during your stay and the quiet and spaciousness of your room.

We look forward to seeing you again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I stayed for 7 nights in a DX Park View Queen. Location is the reason for choosing this hotel as my client office was very close. Its 10 minutes brisk walk to the train station though its uphill on return and takes longer. The Room was spacious but it looked old and dirty. The carpet is old & dirty, one of the reading lamp wasn't working. Bed was good and comfy. Bathroom was average and the shower enclosure needs replacement. Staff at the reception were responsive and check in & out was quick. Timely booking of cab for airport on check out. Had problems connecting to free wifi in the ground floor. For a four star hotel, there is lot of scope for upgrade.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Smartaus,

I’d like to thank you for providing us with some feedback from your stay at Rydges North Sydney.

I am regretful to hear that your impression of the hotel was less than expected, and that the cleanliness of the rooms let us down. We are in the process of refreshing our rooms.
I am glad, though, that the room was comfortable for you, in terms of space, and that dealing with staff was pleasant.

I will speak with our Executive Housekeeper about your comments to ensure our standard is maintained.

Once again, thank you for your time.
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Nice hotel if you need a stay in North Sydney, very good value for money when compared to most business hotels. The majority of the staff - restaurant excluded - were prompt, attentive and eager to please. There is a chauffeur service in the morning, free of charge, to take you to your Sydney destination, so it's cheaper to leave the car at the hotel than pay CBD parking rates. The restaurant was not impressive, bland food that was overpriced.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear TrevorHall,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay here at Rydges North Sydney. We greatly appreciate guests taking the time to share their experience.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that staff were attentive and helpful, however was disappointed that your experience in our Global Tapas Restaurant was not as pleasant. I will be passing on your feedback to our Food & Beverage Operations Manager.

It’s great that you were able to make use of the complimentary shuttle service and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
#1 of 3 in St Leonards
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Meriton Suites Chatswood
#1 of 5 in Chatswood

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!