“Good value”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Australia
“Good value”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed here on a one night package which included tickets to "twilight at Taronga" concert which included shuttle bus to the zoo and return, and buffet breakfast next morning. Room was fine- we had a harbour view and room was clean , with good sized bathroom and beds were realy comfy. Hotel was extremely busy and it was difficult to get a park in the very crowded and narrow parking spots. Lifts were also very slow . We were on the 10th floor otherwise would have been very tempted to take the stairs. Check in and out was very efficient and all staff we encountered at reception and the bar was extremely friendly and efficient.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, April 11, 2010
Dear BernAustralia,

I would like to thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your “Twilight at Taronga” experience, as they are a great value package, and that your Harbour View room, and Dream Bed, were comfortable for you.

I am also pleased to hear that our staff provided excellent service during your stay.

I do regret to hear that the lifts were slow and that there was an issue with parking.

I hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Newcastle
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I booked a two-bedroom suite for a mid-week stay. The location is a fair walk up the hill from North Sydney train station/shops, but its in a residential area so its quiet. The reception area is modern and the staff are very helpful, however, I was disappointed by the room considering the price I paid. The room was clean but it was shabby and out-of-date. The paint was chipped and the woodwork was worn and split. There were no working lamps and the bathroom was tired and worn out. The beds were comfortable but the kitchenette was not well appointed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Dear Ni-Maree,

Thank you for providing us with you feedback regarding your recent visit to Rydges North Sydney.
It is great to hear once again that the service of our staff here at the hotel is of a friendly and helpful nature.
I am sorry to learn that you didn’t find the room quite as appealing.
We are in the process of refreshing the hotel, including repainting the rooms etc. I cannot understand why you had no working lamps in your room. I do hope to see you again
ipswich
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my 19 year old daughter and her friend.
Checkin was efficient and staff was pleasant.
The 2 bedroom room was spacious and furniture was comfortable. The cleanliness let it down as there was a lot of mould in the shower that was off putting when in there. The carpets and painting need refreshing as both were very worn.
The bar service was great and the restaurant meals we had were very enjoyable, although the restaurant staff were a little on the slow side. We had asked for our bill but ended up waiting so long for it that we had to get up to leave and go and get it.
The car park was not all opened up and there were only 2 spots left on one of the days. One wouldn't fit my car and the other was so close to another car that we had to put a towel between my door and the other car so it didn't scratch it when exiting.I think the whole area should of been opened.
Checkout was quick and every time we dealt with front desk staff they were always helpful and friendly.
Other than those couple of minor things, I would probably stay here again if back in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dear Crystalnoz,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Rydges North Sydney.
I am delighted to hear that the service delivered by our front desk team was first rate. Sorry to learn it took a while to receive your bill in the restaurant.

We are very proud of Mundo, our Global Tapas bar and restaurant and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed it as much as we do.

I am regretful that some other aspects of your stay were not quite up to scratch and will ensure your feed back is relayed to the team.

We are taking steps to rectify these issues, and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Brisbane
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Upon entry the people at front desk were quite friendly. Got to the room and realised why nobody in my company ever stays here.

Room was very ordinary - the shower had about as much pressure as a leaking tap - along with the mouldy walls and tiles that looked like they hadnt been cleaned in about a month.

Towels had rips all through them and felt like i was drying myself with a tea towel.

The refurbs they have attempted are shoddy to say the least - but at least they are trying.

No parking available and the staff basically said too bad!!!

Trying to sleep in a non-sound proof room was a nightmare - all i heard was the people above me trampling around all night on the floor. Obviously there is thin line of carpet covering concrete in the rooms. Oh and the other rooms doors slamming all night is a great way to get some relaxation.

The only saving grace for this place was the bed - actually quite comfortable - if you can get to sleep that is.

Stay away is you can!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear travellerkk_bne,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, as without feedback from our guests – good or bad – the hotel cannot improve.
I am pleased to hear that people on the front desk shone through.

I will be passing on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper as the cleanliness of the room which you have described is not at an acceptable standard.

We do have pressure reducers installed as a 'green' initiative and I am sorry they delivered a poor shower. I will have them checked to see if there is any give on the reduction.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel for any discomfort you may have experienced during your stay and do hope you will try us again.

Travelers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Europe
Reviewed January 30, 2010

We booked before checking Trip Advisor and after reading the reviews, I was expecting a bit of a hole. We stayed on the 8th floor in a spacious 2brm suite with our children for 2nights. The 'heavenly beds' were indeed heavenly. You felt like you were sleeping in a cloud. We had beautiful views over the park and treetops of North Sydney.

We were offered a special half-price deal for breakfast at $12.50 per adult which was great value. We ate freshly made pancakes, drank smoothies, ate pastries, cereal and the usual array of hot breakfast delights.

We took our laptop down to the bar and enjoyed the ambience whilst using the complimentary wi-fi connection.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, we found it to be a wonderful place to stay and not at all 'tired'.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, April 18, 2010
Dear Cacao,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Rydges North Sydney. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, including the Dream Beds, the buffet breakfast and free Internet facilities at the hotel.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon
Brisbane
Reviewed December 20, 2009

The Good:
Fast check in/ check out, no hassles with keys/entry or exit
Beds were comfortable
Parking available outside (free from saturday 6pm to monday 8:30am - sunday free all day)
Internet wifi available downstairs free

The Bad (long list sorry):
- Carpets are 3rd world quality (i.e really bad.. like crime scene bad)
- Bed sheets/towels smell like bleach (bring your own)
- Dirty overall...
- carpets... ( I know I have to say this again...)
- Beds weren't made very well... I'm not too fussy but sleeping in it caused the underneath mattress to be exposed (kind of yuck) skill up the workers!!!
- Elevator gives me the creeps (not good for people with height phobias)
- Looking outside on the roof you can see millions of cigarette butts (come on just get a broom)
- Noisy aircon
- Noisy Fridge
- Useless Fridge (doesnt cool very well)
- Bible had torn pages, not that I care so much but some people may find this offensive. Workers should check after guests leave.
- A final note although this could be me, My eyes were very irritated after sleeping on the pillows. What kind of cleaning chemicals do you guys use? I never had this before??!!

I didnt try the food simply because the place was so dirty I could imagine the kitchen could be 10x worse. To management: at least fix the above so that people can have a good "clean" impression and perhaps then it would do well for your business.

Overall I give it 2 stars. One for the parking and one for the no fuss booking.

I spent the other 2 nights of my trip elsewhere... To be honest I read the reviews before choosing Rydges but I had no choice but to sleep there for two nights because of location/availability of rooms in other hotels.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Dear lookingforsomething,

Thank you for your feedback. I do regret to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay here at Rydges North Sydney. I have checked our communication logs over December and couldn’t find any complaints that resembled your comments. Did you relay any of your concerns during your stay?

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your Rydges Dream Bed while staying at the hotel. I agree it is a great bed.
Sydney
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I was a little concerned when I read the reviews. But was very happy with what we had. We booked the Zoo package in a 2 bedroom "suite". There were 5 of us including 3 children. My wife and I do stay in 4* and 5* hotels a couple of times a year.
The hotel was clean, staff were very friendly and helpful on check-in and check-out.
Breakfast, well it wasn't 5* but everyone ate everything and there were no complaints, it was fresh and there was plenty of it.
The room and the hotel are looking a little tired, they have tried to refresh the areas but really it was fine, we went to Carols in the Domain, where can you stay in Sydney with 2 adults, 2 teens and 1 child, get a bed each, full buffet breakfast, parking, (entry to the zoo which alone would have cost $142.00) and a pretty decent view for a total package price of $300.00.
If you and the family want a weekend away, try this zoo package, it is good value, but have your expectations set at hotel of 3.5*.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
RCDManager, Sales Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
Dear JetVortex,

Thank you for takin the time to write a review on your recent stay at Rydges North Sydney.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the Taronga Zoo family package and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Regards,
Harbourside Apartments
Harbourside Apartments
#1 of 1 in McMahons Point
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!