“More a youth hostel than a hotel”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
maryland
“More a youth hostel than a hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

First of all, if you're ok with worn down and tired furniture, a very loud refridgerator, when you don't mind that your quick shower turns out to be an half hour adventure trying to adjust the temperature - while hoping the water pressure will keep up with the demand, when you don't mind the bathroom floor not being cleaned for the whole length of your stay, the windows being single glazed and the at times heavy wind threatening to brake them, the lift being the slowest you can imagine, spiders and other creepy crawlers (yes!) lurking in the corners, the curtains somewhat in pieces and certainly tired of many years of use, plus having your ears blown away from the insane choice and immensly insane volume of music, especially first thing in the morning, at 6.30 a.m. when you want a quiet breakfast, perhaps reading the newspaper or working a bit, with staff so relaxed they don't seem to care much - then this place is for you.
But, hej, there are a few good points: the toilet flush system is very efficient, lots of water, which is good. The space in the bathroom is nice, too, especially that there's a long shelf, that is handy. There are also for once enough towels shelves and racks, which is also nice.
They provide you with shampoo and conditioner and a body cream, however, seem to have missed out on the shower gel, which I was willing to overlook.
The bed is nice, but not so nice I could say it's the best sleep I ever had. It was ok, and that's it (the best sleep I ever had was in the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers, NYC, USA).
The breakfast choice was ok, not too spectacular, but fine. However, AU$25 per person is pushing it to be good value. Also, the weekend breakfast choice is slightly different than the weekday choice, so if you're looking forward to enjoying some pancakes on a Saturday morning, it's not going to happen - they don't offer it... although you ask yourself how much trouble can it be to get that machine out...? Also, mushrooms are only on the menu during the week - why, one wonders.
If you want a nicer coffee that the mass market stuff out of a pump you have to pay extra. Of course, since you're in Sydney, the city that's more expensive that New York.
If you're working in North Sydney, than the location of the hotel is a plus.
On the whole, I give this hotel a 3.5 out of 10. Honestly, if it claimed to be a youth hostel, I'd give it 8 out of 10. But a hotel?
Of course the prices match the ones of a hotel. The mini bar prices are higher than in any other hotel I have ever stayed in, and I am a business traveller, travelling 48 weeks a year, around the world.
It's worthwhile to check out your other options. And to the management: I suggest a complete refurbishment. Or, indeed, put a sign up over the entrance door: Youth Hostel.

1 Thank tardisMaryland
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear tardisMaryland,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was disappointed to read of your very poor impression and hope you accept my sincere apologies for the inadequate service. Please be assured that I have discussed with the Housekeeper your comments regarding cleaning, we understand the need to do better. I plan to conduct daily inspections of selected of rooms to ensure standards are maintained.
Likewise your comments regarding Breakfast service and consistency of product delivery have been discussed with the Food & Beverage Manager who will redouble his efforts to ensure that we go further than “adequate” in future.
Lastly I am pleased to advise that the Hotel is currently undergoing a $2 Million Refurbishment of Guest Rooms and Corridors which will address many of your concerns and is due for completion in March 2011.
Thank you for your interest, I hope that despite your experience we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges North Sydney and demonstrate that we are capable of much better.

Yours Sincerely

Jon Ackary
Jon_Ackary@rydges.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

I stay at Rydges Nth Sydney for several weeks a year as it is right next door to my company head office. If it was not for this convinience I would not bother.

If you are happy with mediocrity at best at everything they do, then you'll be ok here. I mean the rooms are comfy enough, the price is ok, and if you need a Nth Sydney location then its located just fine. But thats all its got going for it.

The restaurant and bar have just had a spruce up, its now called Mundos. The service and food is stil crap though. The food is really inconsistent. It rarely comes as described in the menu and if you can get a steak cooked how you ask for you are doing better than me.

My biggest gripe is house keeping. Their ability to clean a room is appaling. Tea/coffee/milk are rarely topped up more than once or twice a week. The bathrooms are old and mouldy. Rubbish bins are rarely emptied. Rarely is every facet of the room attended to in a daily visit from housekeeping.

Reception staff are inefficient, unprofessional and simply "average".

Big TV's, comfy beds are pluses.

Maybe I expect to much from a hotel of this class/price? If it wasn't next to my office I wouldn't bother. I don't bother eating here anymore, I order delivery from one of Nth Sydneys great range of places or wander down the road to one of the great cafes or restaurants nearby.

2 Thank GlobalCitizen01
RCDManager, Sales Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
Dear jfriend,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to hear your impressions of the hotel during your stay.
I would like to ensure you that the Hotel does take all comments seriously which are passed onto the Management team.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort caused. Once again thank you for your comments, guest feedback is important to us and very much appreciated.

Travelers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

I recently stayed at the North Sydney Rydges and was really impressed with all facets of my stay. The rooms were a nice size with LCD tv. The beds are one of the best beds I've ever stayed in (inc Sheraton and Crown Towers). Staff were extremely helpful and the area around the hotel was nice and quiet. Perfect for a good rest.

1 Thank midwicket
RCDManager, Sales Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, November 8, 2009
Dear Midwicket,

Thank you for your positive review from your recent stay with us.

It was great to read that you had a very comfortable stay, We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

We are pretty average easy going people, this trip was paid by my employer as a bonus but I got to pick where we were to stay. I chose the family taronga zoo/luna park package, as we googled and found this package and thought it seemed pretty reasonable value for money and a good family trip away for the weekend. The following is our feedback for the two night period of stay-

*We went to the room with the key card obtained by reception and the door wouldn't unlock. I went back to reception and lady began to say "how" to put the card in (i guess thinking we did it incorrectly) I told her I did it correctly. I went back up to the room after she had reset the code and it still didn't work! I went back down and saw another lady and she said it had a block on it ? She removed this block. I went back up and it worked.

*You may find the lift a problem at certain time frames. Most of the time we found it was quite slow. There was one instance that we were trying to get to breakfast and were waiting for the lift for a minimun of 15 minutes and it still didn't come! so we decided to take the stairs but this is a problem as when you get to the only door below level 1 it has a sign, saying the door is alarmed? So we went back up to level 1 and waited another 10 minutes and finally got the lift.
I can appreciate times can get busy but surely there should be another option instead of the lift that can get you to the ground level without any hassle?

*The sliding door to the balcony didn't slide very well. maybe needs needs new rollers? or maybe this was to stop any kids going onto the balcony as the door didn't have a lock - we have two children aged 9 & 6?

*The bedroom lights didn't work.

*The bathroom fan was constanly on.

*The shower has a mind of it's own, the hot water plays up and on 2 occasions had no water at all with both taps full on - not fantastic when you are half way through your shower with a head full of shampoo trying to rinse it off!!!.

*It was ironic that at one stage we were in the lift with another family and the husband said how good the breakfast was and the wife commented about the "noisy sheets" , this was after my wife saying the same thing prior. It didn't worry me but my wife said every movement was like a rolling in leaves sound. Also the actual dooner cover were just sheets covering it no actual cover. I suppose this might be quicker for cleaning?

*My wife was dissapointed that she had brought her own hair dryer as there was already one in the room. She went to use the one in the room and it worked but the only disapointment was the thick film of dust entailed.
*As part of the room package we ordered three beers on ice.This is correct it was only on ice with very minimal ice around the actual beer, so beer wasn't very cold. So no worries I went to the fridge and it was the same sort of temperature as fridge turned to lowest setting(I suppose to save power?)- Freezer was good to cool drinks!

*The breakfast was part of the package and I was ok with it, the only grief was with the bacon. When the bacon was changed with new, they left the left over oil in the tray which was quite substantial. Maybee drain the oil before putting in the new?

*The car park only has limited numbers, you are not assured of a spot. There are some limited ones outside and not part of the complex. You don't need to pay for these on weekends and after 6.pm and before 8.am Weekdays but there is a 2 hour limit parking limit during 8.pm to 6.pm.

*I hope this helps for future improvements.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Dear Fences4u,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay
I was disappointed to hear your impressions of the hotel during your stay. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. Please be assured all comments have been passed onto the Department Managers.

It is through the observations of our guests that we become aware of issues that would go unnoticed and therefore uncorrected. Once again, thank you for your comments, guest feedback is important to us and very much appreciated
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

I stayed at the Rydges World Square for business a few days earlier and chose Rydges North Sydney for a week-end break with my wife. I must say I had some reservations after reading all the bad reviews on this site about the hotel and considering how good World Square was.
We took the train from the airport to North Sydney station and walked from there to the hotel. It was a bit of a hike uphill but we were there within 15 minutes (it took 10 minutes after that as we knew exactly how to get there). You could also take one of many buses from the station/shopping centre and it's two stops from there on Miller Street.
Our first interaction with the staff was to leave our luggage with the hotel so we could go out and explore Sydney. The lady who wrked there that morning wasn't particularly welcoming but I wouldn't say she was rude, just dry.
When we came back in the afternoon, the male staff was much more welcoming and we were given a room on a high floor.
OK, so the room is a bit tired (ie. carpet and furniture need a makeover) and the window seal wasn't working well when the wind was blowing hard at night. But apart from that, there was nothing else we would complain about. It was a clean hotel room and the bed was comfortable.
As it was not in the centre of the CBD, we had to plan our days out carefully as we just couldn't come back when we felt like it but there are enough cafés, parks and shopping centres in town to have a breather when you felt like it.
On our last night, we went to the Rag & Famin pub nearby (200metres) and had their famous 'crusty lid pies' for dinner. There are a lot of restaurants in Crows Nest and that's a $7 taxi ride or a few bus stops on the Pacific Highway.
So, overall, it was a comfortable and pleasant stay. I guess the reviews prepared us for the worst and it wasn't that bad after all. It's also good to stay outside of the city every now and then.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
RCDManager, Sales Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, September 6, 2009
Dear 7DC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay at Rydges North Sydney.

I am happy to hear that you and your wife had a comfortable stay and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel very soon.

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

Sign up for the free Rydges Priority Guest programme on their website and get an instant discount when you book - I saved about $25 this way and also you automatically get a 1pm checkout. The room was only $126 with no advance purchase required - good value.

As I'd booked online I also did 'web check-in' and so on arrival got our room key immediately. I was staying with my two young children and the extra bed was at no charge (which was a bonus). Also the lovely buffet breakfast is free for kids under 12 and was half price (only $12.50) if you pre-book (which is a simple phone call to reception).

Because the hotel is set off the street, behind another building, it was really quiet. The window opens (not far enough to fall out!) and stretches the width of the room. The bed was beautifully made up and very comfortable. No problems with the TV nor hot water as others reported.

There were a few paint chips and the hallways do look a little dated but overall I was really really pleased with the hotel. The staff were friendly and accommodating and calm under pressure (there seemed to be a huge wedding party staying this weekend). The room was a good size with a nice sofa and a large glass desk at which one could actually work. And it's near a nice park- great for the kids to run around - as well as coffee shops and art galleries.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
RCDManager, Sales Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
Dear Lawstudent01,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us. It is delightful to read that you and your family had a great stay at Rydges North Sydney.
I will be definitely passing on, all your remarks to our team here at the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back sometime soon.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

Having stayed at this hotel 2-4 days a week for nearly 8 months, I cannot believe how many mistakes and total lack of interest in the customer a hotel can have. Each time I booked it was like I was a first time guest, there is a farcicle 2.5% credit card fee (who pays cash!), the rooms have been 'refreshed' but sort-of like putting a few new furniture items amongst the golden oldies in your Grandparents 70's lounge room.

Rooms have Queen size beds (including the 1 bedroom suites), facilities in the rooms are at best mediocre - as other reviews have called out, there are new LCD TVs, but that's where anything modern ends. The clock-radios in the bedheads look like something out of a 70's erotica film!

There is no pool or gym facilties, the bar is painfully boring and the restaurant serves credible breakfast buffet/coffee - but I wasn't game enough to dine there even once in my regular stays over 8 months.

There is ample car parking (for a fee), so if you're on a driving holiday or working on the road, I guess that's a strength.

Obvious question - Why did I stay there for 8mo if it was so bad? Answer. Location/proximity to my office, it was summer so I could exercise outdoors (gym wasn't an issue) and at the time the rate on offer for corporate guests went a way to justifying the place.

On the price front, whilst the rooms are often available at competitive prices, the Rydges model is comparable to Formule 1 hotels - EVERYTHING extra comes at a cost. Internet is exorbitantly priced at ~$25 a day, mini-bar is more expensive that a coke at the movie theatre - generally, what you save in room rate, they'll try get back from you somewhere else.

To be perfectly honest, the best summary I can give of this place is that it is the [maybe] the best choice of 3 large hotels in North Sydney, and don't they know it... Save yourself the pain, stay in the CBD and cop the cab fare across the bridge - the $15 taxi is definitely worth it! Barely a pulse...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Dear Montza,

Thank you for taking the time for writing your review regarding your multiple visits at the Hotel.

I was disappointed to hear your impressions of the hotel during your stay. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort caused. I would like to ensure you that your comments have been passed onto Senior Management.

If you wish to discuss in further detail please feel free to contact me directly.

02 9922 1311
InterContinental Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
#24 of 174 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,148 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!