“Rydges North Sydney Hotel - Do not stay there!”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
San Francisco, CA
“Rydges North Sydney Hotel - Do not stay there!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Rydges North Sydney is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. To begin with, the hallways and room have terrible lighting, are dingy, marked up and worn. My room itself was clean but the bed was lumpy and the sheets were itchy. The bathroom towels were like sandpaper. The bathroom itself was horrible. There were large rust spots/holes in the tub, there was no mat for the tub and all of the fixtures were old and in need of updating.

Next up: service. Basically: none. On the first morning of my 7 days that I had to stay here for business I went to the restaurant. I was not feeling well so I just wanted some toast and tea. I was not asked if I wanted to sit down and was rudely told by the guy working there that I would be charged $10.00 for the tea and toast. No one offered to show me to a table and when I did find one, the seats were worn and stained. I helped myself to the tea and toast. They never came to have me sign anything and when I left, the same jerk told me that he already charged my room. Needless to say, I did not step foot in this place ever again during my stay.

Now let's talk about their mini-bar "service". On the second or third day, I had a knock at my door. When I asked who was there, this kid mumbled something about "bar check". Before I could get to the door, he opened the door and just barged in! Fortunately, I was dressed but in all my years of travel I have never seen anything like this. Evidently he wanted to check the mini bar. From then on, I made sure the dead-bolt lock was on the door whenever I was in the room. He did not even apologize for the rude behavior!

Internet: they charge for pathetically slow and choppy wireless. If you are going to charge for this service, you should provide excellent speed and reliable service.

If I have ever have the opportunity to come to Sydney again for work, I am going to stay in the City and cab each day to the office even if I have to pay for the cabs myself.

I hope Marriott buys it someday, tears it down, hires all new staff and rebuilds.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank debtogo
Katie D, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your review on Rydges North Sydney. We value the time you have taken to express your concerns and are disappointed to hear of your unfortunate experiences that occurred during your visit to Sydney.

In regards to your comments relating to the bathrooms; In general most of our customers find them satisfactory however I fully acknowledge that they are deserving of an upgrade. We completed significant enhancement of the guest bedrooms in 2011 and we expect the refurbishment of our bathrooms to be the next area schedule for attention.

It was disappointing that you didn’t find our beds and bed linen comfortable. For the most part we receive very favourable comments from customers on the Rydges Dream Bed. We actually sell a number of Dream Beds direct to our customers and staff. Your comments were certainly a surprise and we have audited the room to ensure that the bed meets our standards.

The feedback that you made referring to one of our staff as a ‘jerk’ was disheartening both to the staff member and management. I think it would be fair to say that we just didn’t meet your service needs particularly on the morning of your breakfast and for that we are sorry. Again we have received some great comments on our breakfast however, I fully accept that however hard we strive to... we will not get things right 100% of the time.

We have addressed the issues to all mini-bar staff and sincerely apologise for the unfortunate incident. They are instructed to knock twice, announce themselves and enter, we assure you this is not a regular occurrence.

We are very disappointed that you left us with such a bad impression. All I can say is that I would love the chance to turn your negative impressions into something more positive if you choose to book with us in the future.

Rhys Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Hallidays Point, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Decent hotel for brief stays in North Sydney. Have stayed there multiple times and will continue to do so would be nice to have better Wi-Fi. The breakfast selection is always great with heaps of variety not too sure about the fruit shots though!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Liadl
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent post about Rydges North Sydney. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back.

Wifi is a very important factor of our hotel and it is something the General Manager, Front office team and the IT team will take on board to make your next stay more comfortable.

In regards to the juice shots, we like to experiment with new combinations all the time but we would love to hear from you next stay on one that you think will get the perfect early morning buzz going for our guests.

Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next stay.

Cheers, Katie
NSW Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here Mon-Fri for three consecutive weeks. Rooms were average but that was ok, bathrooms need renovating. Cleaners do not clean bathrooms daily which is not satisfactory nor pleasant when you are sharing a room! Coffee and tea was not replaced daily either. The third week I stayed was the absolute worst - for 2 nights in a row I could not sleep - they had me next to the executive boardroom (interconnecting doors) which I discovered is cleaned, restocked and furniture rearranged from 11pm onwards throughout the night. This meant that for hours all I could hear was banging, furniture being dragged across the floor, trolleys of glasses rattling etc. After the second night of this noise I called up to say that I could not sleep for all the noise, the staff would not even let me get a sentence out - nothing worse then trying to talk and someone cuts you off and talks over the top of you. I was shocked. It seemed every small request I had was met with a question from staff whom I found tiring and rude. Just because my employer was paying for the accommodation does not mean that I was not a "customer". I would never stay here again nor recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: do yourself a favour and stay at another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank agentninetynine999
Hi Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent experience at Rydges North Sydney.
It is unfortunate to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that even after I had spoken with you the day after the above events that the situation didn't improve.

I am sincerely apologetic if you felt we had not tried to resolve the issues with offering a room move and also replacing the 3 magazines you had left in the room on the previous stay.

We as a team have discussed your comments and have taken the feedback on board. I do hope you consider to stay with us again as your company continues to book you here and this I believe was the first noise issue you have had.

I would love to hear from you directly if you do return again so we can ensure you enjoy North Sydney in the best way possible.

Thanks again, Katie

Travelers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Port Stephens, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We decided to take our grandchildren to Taronga Zoo so we used the special package that Rydges North Sydney has on offer. Attractive price and good value for money: a suite with our own bedroom and sofa beds for the children in the lounge room, parking and breakfast - all included.
We have stayed at Rydges North Sydney several times in the past and it great to see the gradual improvements and refurbishing. Plenty of hot water this time as the boilers have been replaced and the wired internet worked perfectly this time. Staff is friendly and helpful.
We'll be back soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HenkT_11
Hi Henk,

Fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay at Rydges North Sydney.

The Taronga zoo package is certainly one of our most popular during those school holiday and weekend periods. We are so lucky to have such great attractions in Sydney and it is great that you were able to experience one of the best with your grandchildren.

We hope you return to see us again shortly and get to experience another attraction Sydney has to offer.

Regards, Katie Dewar
Front Office Manager
02 9922 1311
katie_dewar@rydges.com
Melbourne
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here a couple of times in the last six months for work and found it a perfectly nice hotel in a nice part of town. The rooms are nicely furnished, and are quite quiet. The bathrooms are bit dated with showers over the bath - they work perfectly well and are nice and clean, but for the price it's just a bit old school for me.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant downstairs on my first stay and it was very nice (apart from a guy pinching my seat/table while I was at the buffet. Good buffet, lots of variety etc.. not a whole lot of seating and it does get busy, so keep that in mind. The second time I stayed I had breakfast in my room, and this to my mind was far preferable as it was much more relaxed. The food was quite good both times.

If you are doing business in the area, I'd recommend this very comfortable and professional hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi EvilTrav,

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Rydges North Sydney.

Breakfast for those early risers sometimes can get a little busy in the morning but I am glad to hear you got a seat the next day.

We love hearing good feedback especially from our guests who are travelling away from home for work.

We hope you return to see us again shortly and get to experience another delicious breakfast.

Regards, Katie Dewar
Front Office Manager
02 9922 1311
katie_dewar@rydges.com
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great impression as you walk into the room, Room was fresh, bright and clean.

Walked in to the bathroom, Poor thing was tired, very clean, everything works but needs a refresh.

The Elevators were playing up for the whole weekend, I suggest either walking down the stairs or taking the goods lift, it works better & quicker than the other 2.

Breakfast was a real delight, plenty to chose from.

Be careful when paying the bill, nobody advised me about the 3.5% surcharge for Amex at checkin, so at checkout I paid by Mastercard with a 1.5% surcharge.

The staff were friendly and always smiling, the foyer is always clean & tidy

We will stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I was pleased to hear your enjoyed our soft refurbishment we undertook to revamp our rooms and we hope that moving forward our bathrooms will be the next step in finalising our refurbishments. As you can imagine these things take time but we will get there.

I do apologise about the lifts this is something that our chief engineer and I are working to fix and hopefully it will not be an issue next time you stay.

I am pleased to hear though that Breakfast was great and that the staff were friendly during your stay. In regards to the surcharge unfortunately bank fees are applied now to all credit cards, we do outline this on the registration card on check-in below where you sign however it is something we need to reiterate to all guests.

I do appreciate the time you have taken in letting us know your feedback and hope that you will continue to return to North Sydney

Thanks again. Katie

Katie Dewar
Front Office Manager, Rydges North Sydney
Phone: 02 9922 1311
Email: katie_dewar@rydges.com
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was staying over there with a friend for a weekend recently to go visit the Australian Museum. After seeing a special they had with Taronga zoo we decided to stay here. We didn't have a good start with our sofa bed being broken but the house staff replaced it immedietly on request. Our room also had a loud fan in it that we couldn't shut off.

The sleep itself was good, they have great beds and the morning breakfast was worth waking up up for! It was also a good base, within easy walk of a train station that took us wherever we wanted to go.

The rooms are quite old and the place could do with a make over but over all it was a decent stay. The staff are friendly, and the restaurant/bar is nice although service is sometimes slow

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your stay.

We apologize for the inconvenience we caused you with regards to the sofa bed but pleased to hear the housekeeping team were able to resolve this quickly.

Great to hear you enjoyed breakfast in Mundo and that you found us to be in prime location too. We are very lucky to be so close to everything.

Thank you again you taking the time to let us know about the room quality and staff during your stay and hope to see you again soon

Katie Dewar
#1 of 3 in St Leonards
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Meriton Suites Chatswood
#1 of 5 in Chatswood

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!