“Intrusive check in staff!”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stay in Rydges a lot cause no other choice in some locations. Pretty shabby places but usually good customer service. However at check-in today I was asked whether I was here for business. Sure I said, yes I am. I was then asked to sign the registration card, and provide the name of my business. I didn't - how is it relevant? So when I handed it back, I was asked to fill in my business name. I stated that it wasn't relevant. They had my name, address, credit and, and membership number. Se demanded that I provide my business name stating "we need to know who is corporate". Sort of really weird. When I said I was staying under my own name, she said she would then registered me as "my name Pty Ltd", which of course from a legal entity perspective is crap. I was astounded. She was extremely rude, slamming the pen down when I told her that I didn't think my trading name had any relevance to my booking. Bizarre, totally weird. In 30 years of staying in hotels, I have never had this weird demand. Rude young lady, very, very rude.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Christina T
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Hi Christina,

I wanted to contact you in regards the below feedback you provided from your stay back in March.

Let me apologize to you from behalf of North Sydney for the miscommunication that came across during your stay.

The staff member you refer too is one of our junior members of the team. She is a very bright, bubbly and cheerful team player who receives great reviews from guests and her colleagues so I was disappointed to hear that you encountered such an experience.

The reason she would of asked for your company name is to ensure that your profile is up to our head office standards. All Rydges hotels are instructed to get as much information as possible to ensure we only have one profile for each guest. At times we understand some travel for business while others for leisure. We use the business name to determine if you are a corporate guest and to track if you stay more frequently for business or for leisure, purely for monthly reporting on our end.

We do understand if you do not wish to provide this information and for this stay it is clear that we could of handled it better. I have spoken to the staff member who you dealt with on check-in and explained that if a guests does not want to provide the information it is not an issue.

As you mention you stay in a lot of Rydges Properties, some of our hotels operate a little differently but I assure you that the next time you stay this shouldn't be a regular occurrence.

Thank you again for providing us with you feedback and we hope that you continue to use Rydges Hotels & Resorts

Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is relatively well located, average in terms of style and upkeep but charges for everything. The internet is charged, not just int he room but every device you connect int he room. The coffee at breakfast is charged. I asked about a guy. They can arranged, charged as there is none in the hotel. The rooms are adequate. The bathroom in the room was dated and pretty run down. It looks like there are better hotels nearby with greater value for money.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your review on Rydges North Sydney

I am pleased to let you know we took on board your feedback and have now changed the internet charges.

We now charge $18.00 per 24 hours which allows you to use up to 10 devices at a time in your room. We do still offer complimentary WIFI in the public areas of the hotel if not wishing to pay the internet fee.

Espresso coffee is charged but with our new coffee cart set up in the foyer you might be lucky to get a complimentary coffee during your stay.

Our bathrooms we know are a little dated, especially after we have completed a soft refurbishment everywhere else in the hotel.

We hope to see you again soon and Thank you again for your feedback

Reviewed March 14, 2013

While I found the decor to be quite nice since my last visit a few years back, a refresh of this obviously was done - there were a few minor things that seemed strange (and still consistent with the age of the place.) Eg: broken button in lift, was quite comical (sadly) watching some poor person not able to alight at their floor. Also the AV connectors in the room were a bit dodgy.
(One MINOR but ANNOYING thing, had to interject - the taps in the bathroom are hard to note, hot & cold - especially in the shower, where if you look at an angle, you would think the top tap is Hot and bottom Cold. This is reversed!!!... wondering why I had no hot water... LOL!!!)

Anyway, apart from a few minor things above, I found the service quite good, dinner was excellent and service was 'mostly' timely and very helpful.
Also found room service to be prompt and the food was actually still hot when I got it. :-)

Reception staff were extremely courteous and helpful. An off-duty staff member offered to help me when I rolled my ankle at the front door, which I thought was excellent and said a lot of their staff attitude. (They seemed to like working there...) So, some would use the words 'older' in a bad way, but I think more 'grander' and 'aging well' for a building that was still relevant. :-D

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better furnishings and are more nicer. Also - hot and cold taps are vertically mo...

H RaTTyRat

Thank you for your review on Rydges North Sydney.

With regards to the lifts I can happily say we have been working on updating and getting these sorted so hopefully the next time you stay they will be functioning

I do apologise for the taps being a little different, looks like we are testing to see who are our early morning risers and who are those who of our guests would like to catch a few more hours of shut-eye :)

Great to hear our team were pleasant and proactive during your stay. Sheree the staff member off duty who assisted you that evening was recognised for her good-will to assist you. We are lucky to have such a great team who are happy to help even if they are finished on shift.

We hope to see you again soon, Thanks again

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Thanks to the team at Rydges for looking after our staff so well, the feedback was great, especially the breakfasts which received rave reviews.
I would recommend this for either business or hoilday, the staff there can tailor something to suit.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff- they ensured everything was taken care of.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review on our breakfast and hotel.

It is great to hear your staff enjoyed themselves during their time here at North Sydney.

We would encourage you to return again and hope that you and your staff enjoy another amazing brekkie.

Thanks again

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a great package and we would definitely do again but there are a few things that need addressing.
The lifts in the establishment are incredibly slow. Upon arrival we waited approx 10 mins in the basement carpark before making the assumption the lift wasn't working and lugged our luggage up flights of stairs.
Upon returning from the concert, (approx 10pm) we were looking forward to a few drinks in the lounge/bar only to be told "it had been a quite evening so they closed the bar". Of course it was quite - 3 bus loads of guests were at the concert and all returned at the same time with many as disappointed as we were that there were no facilities available.
Our buffet breakfast (included in the package - except coffee, additional charge) was lovely and the variety of hot & cold, fruit pastries etc lovely however the restaurant was chaos. Clearly the shift was understaffed with people wandering in and seating themselves at empty tables whilst others (including us) were waiting in the wings to be allocated seating as there wasn't a table available on our arrival. We heard several people complaining about this.
Furthermore, there were lengthy delays waiting for hot food to be replenished.
I appreciate the hotel was very busy but one would think this would be all the more reason to be organized to accommodate the demand.
Upon leaving, again the lifts were a nightmare .... Soooo slow!

Whilst the above were annoying factors, on a positive note ... The room was lovely, all very clean. The bed, pillows etc very comfortable. And the staff very friendly.
The organization for to & from the concert etc was great ... A great package!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jaybee88

Hi Jaybee88,

Thank you for reviewing Rydges North Sydney, we appreciate the time you have taken in rating and providing constructive feedback to us.

In regards to the lifts this is something our Chief Engineer and myself are working towards improving so hopefully by your next stay we will have found the issues that caused the slowness.

I do apologise for the bar closing early that evening but your feedback has been taken on board and discussed with our Food & Beverage team. We will endeavour for a little more planning next time for those events that will return back late to try have the bar functioning.

We have seen that the weekend period especially during twilight does become chaotic. There have been suggestions to organise sitting times and also a promotion for 'early risers' to have breakfast before 8:00am which seems to be the busiest of times during the weekend.

Thank you again for letting us know about your stay and we hope you return soon

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked a two bedroom suite for a family weekend, cost $360 for Friday night, $500 for Saturday night. It was a refurbished 1970's room, with a bedroom door that had been kicked in and hastily "repaired" without any paint. Very, very tacky. The carpet had large stains and the bathroom had been decorated by an apprentice in 1993. If you weigh over 85kg you cannot get in the shower. Paid for parking, but there were no vacant spaces in the carpark.
I will not be returning. Only in Sydney would they dare to charge $500 for such a dump.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 313 like the plague
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hi Mulgamagnet

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges North Sydney.

Unfortunately I wasn't hear when you stayed but to read your disappointment I wanted to take the opportunity to write to you about the review you made.

Let me first apologize for the unfortunate experiences that you encountered during your time with us here. Whilst time has passed since you stayed I wanted to take this time to advise that over the past few years the hotel has gone under a soft refurbishment and slowly has began moving through the rooms and public areas to freshen them up.

The room you refer to had not been refurbished yet but we hope in good time it will be updated like our Parkview and Harbourview queen single rooms.

I hope you do return to Sydney to stay with us, and if not certainly look to contact me direct to see if one of our other Rydges Properties in the area can accommodate you.

Thanks again for letting us know your feedback, It is greatly appreciated

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visited the hotel recently for a work conference, and did enjoy my stay. The location was fantastic, close to the station with views to the harbour. I found the downstairs Spanish restaurant lovely, and well worth a look. Service at the front desk and in the restaurant wasnt the greatest - it seems they felt they had something better to do, or somewhere else to be. I suppose for a "business" style hotel this is what you get... Worth the stay for the food and the location

Room Tip: Higher level with views!

Hi Maggie457,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay.

It was disappointing to hear the service didn't leave the lasting impression we would like you to have. Service is hotels is a key factor and to hear it wasn't up to the standard makes us realize we need to work harder.

Great to hear you enjoyed Mundo though, it is a great restaurant and the chefs will be pleased to hear you loved it.

Thanks again,