“Quite OK... if you want to be in North Sydney” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges North Sydney

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Quite OK... if you want to be in North Sydney”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was booked here for work in North Sydney: If that's your reason to come here, it's a good choice. Otherwise, it's an average refurbished 60s or 70s hotel building (12 or 13 stories of ugly pebble mix exterior, but set in green gardens) which is a fair way out of central Sydney.
The lifts are slow, but the interior is renovated to a good standard. I was in a deluxe room with pleasant views of the North Sydney Oval - $179 a night. There are some harbour views on the other side.
Some good things: the front desk staff are very friendly and efficient, there is a taxi rank right at the end of the driveway, there are busses at the end of the street, it is a 7 minute stroll to North Sydney station, or if you want a more picturesque trip to the city (which is recommended), it is a 20 minute stroll down the hill in Blues Point Road to the McMahon's Point ferry wharf - Circular Quay one way or Balmain and Darling Harbour the other. This area of North Sydney also has quite a few nice cafés, restaurants, winebars and pubs.

Room Tip: Upper levels have some good outlooks.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Robert-Alam, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Bluey99,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with Rydges North Sydney. I am pleased to read your comments on your impressions of our front desk staff, and that you found our location very convenient, we are quite spoilt in North Sydney with great restaurants and cafe’s as well as good access to public transport to the city and surrounds. I hope that you stay with us again in the near future.

Robert Alam
Rooms Division Manager
Robert_alam@rydges.com
+612 9922 1311

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as we relocated from Sydney back to Canada; two nights in a one-bedroom and two nights in a two-bedroom suite.

First observation: the hotel staff are very, VERY attentive, courteous and professional. Every request was handled graciously, they were exceptionally accommodating and made sure our stay was a great one.

The hotel itself is clean, but as many reviewers have commented, a bit dated. The manager has explained in another post that the standard rooms have been refurbished; if the suites are next in line it will be not a moment too soon. BUT - despite the slightly worn look of the furnishings, everything worked, the beds (even the pull-outs in the 1-bedder) were comfortable, the sheets clean, the towels fresh. Both of the suites were VERY large - the 2 bedroom suite could have easily accommodated twice the furniture that was in it.

I ordered from the 'On the Run' breakfast menu in the restaurant a couple of times, and got good value for money, hotel-restaurant-speaking. My wife and I also shared a nightcap at the bar (MUNDO Latin Grill and Tapas Bar), which we found a tad overpriced. Perhaps it was the two underwhelming mixed cocktails we had at $16 each - the rest was actually quite good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
I was really pleased that you and your family had such a wonderful stay with us you can get a really accurate feel for a Hotel after 4 days.

The staff I have shared your comments with were really quite thrilled to read the kind remarks, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

The suites are certainly very spacious and great for families; we’re doing work in them on an ongoing basis so hopefully we can improve that area of the Hotel as well as the Cocktail training.

“Breakfast To Go” was revamped a few months back as a value alternative for those of us that aren’t up for the full Buffet extravaganza.

Thanks again I hope we see you in North Sydney if and when you make a trip back from Canada.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I must say I was a bit worried about staying here after some of the reveiws I have read, but it was close to a function we had on, so I thought I would risk it as I couldn't get anything closer...

Much to my suprise, the service by both gentlemen at reception was fantastic, helpful and professional. Even under pressure by the phones constantly ringing and other people waiting, the young man that checked me in was very professional and efficient. (It was a Friday evening we checked in too.)

I was more than a little worried I would get mucked about as I had booked online and requested an extra fold out bed for a third child, but everything was in place ready to go, I didn't have to ask as I was told everything had been taken care of (and much to my suprise and that it had!!)

We stayed in a two bedroom unit. Bedrooms were clean and tidy (and comfortable), and both bedrooms a decent size, as were the dining and living areas..
I was amazed we had a clean, tidy bathroom, I was expecting something from last century full of mould after reading some of the posts on here. Ours wasn't all brand new, but it wasn't horrible either and the shower had decent water pressure!!

I would stay here again, we didn't get any noise problems and we were quite close to the ground and restaurant down stairs had a loud private function happening when we arrived back later in the evening it was in full swing...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We appreciate you deciding to give us a try especially as it was with some trepidation!

Thanks for the review; I was delighted to read that the Hotel suited your needs and the staff were on top of all the details. Your comments have been placed on the noticeboard and shared with all, they try hard to please and your feedback is really helpful to keep the team motivated.

I hope you have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is an overpriced hotel and only runs cos of its proximity of the north sydney business district. Thats the only reason why I stayed at this property. The rooms are dated and need renovation! Nevertheless its a short walk from metro station (North Sydney) and two stops into the central sydney area which is convenient and its also a safe neighbourhood, though dead after office hours.
The restaurant 'Mundo' in the hotel has decent food both for dinner and breakfast but the service from the staff is very poor. Half way through my meal I wanted another glass of wine, and in a restaurant which was only half full it took them 30min (after I had finished my meal) to get me my second glass. Only stay if your office is close by.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Overpriced....that’s disappointing 

Like almost all Hotels today rates vary according to season and demand and how far ahead you book. Our hotel is typically $200 upwards midweek and from $169 on weekends, book early and you can do better, maybe including a great Breakfast! The bedrooms were refurbished last year and we’re doing some work on Suites now and planning for bathrooms.

Having made those comments I regret that you did not think your rate represented value which we strive to do, please accept my sincere apologies. I’ll also discuss your remarks regarding Restaurant service with the Manager.

Sounds like you are in North Sydney regularly, please email me directly if you are planning to stay with us again; we will try to make amends.

Travelers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Port Macquarie, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Interesting hotel, not at all what I was expecting. For a Rydges Hotel, this hotel is very dated and the rooms are in need of renovation. Hotel is on a steep road away from the shops and is set back off the road in a kind of residential area. The lobby and restaurant are actually quite nice and modern, and staff were friendly and helpful. Wagyu steak and creme brulee in restaurant were very good. Building itself looks like it's from the 70's from the outside. Bed and pillows were comfortable enough, however the bathroom was the worst I have seen in years. A tiny shower over the bath with very very poor water pressure almost a trickle with water temp going from icy to boiling with a 1 degree turn of the tap, complete with horrible shower curtain, multiple broken tiles and someone else's long hair in the bath and on my clean towels? Some furniture in the room was ok, however the cabinets and bed side tables were all damaged and chipped. Mini bar was also not restocked when my room was cleaned, and the product in the mini bar was very close to expiry date, snakes were like concrete. Good block out curtains, so room was still nice and dark at 7am, and a pretty decent view out over the water from the upper floors.

Room Tip: If you care about having a nice bathroom, don't stay here!
1 Thank Adam C
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I note your comment regarding bathrooms, as mentioned previously we are working on a mock-up bathroom and hopefully can roll out in the next 12 months. Until this happens the images of our current bathrooms on this website taken by other travellers are recent and accurate; I would encourage other readers to view if they are concerned.

My sincere apologies for the hair left behind by I assume a staff member, as you note the towels were clean minus the hair which is to say the least off putting.

We have recently made upgrades to the Hot Water system which have hardly “gone to plan”. The plumbing contractor has been in all week and we have been free of problems for a few days now so I’m hopeful we are on track to sort it out.

On the other hand thank you for the positive restaurant rating, I hope you visit us again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Where do I start?
* too, too expensive for the level of comfort, outdated
* arrived without a toothbrush and asked for one - the toothpast was dry. They sent up another, the toothpaste had leaked out
* bathroom had cracked tiles, showere curtain, thin, worn looking towels, mirror completely fogged up
* bed sheets not made properly
* ordered Fin Review which did not turn up in the morning
* Wi-Fi should be free at the $270/night level that is paid but was an extra $18/night

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Our rates like all Hotels vary a bit, $270 midweek in peak periods is not unusual and down to $143 later in December & January – like airline seats I suggest booking ahead for a great deal.

On the service side we appear to have missed the mark and hope you will accept my sincere apologies, I am following up with the Manager’s concerned.

If you are contemplating a return please email me directly, I am sure we can make amends.

Wallacetown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Wanting a Hotel in North Sydney close to our daughter, this could not have been better. On a quiet street of the road. The room was spotless, modern and had everything we needed. I did miss my coffee mug though. The cups in our room were just a little bit small for my liking. Although we didn't use the restaurant we did go down for a drink and was also very appealing to the eye. Menu looked great. Customer service was great up until the day we left when we had arranged for the Hotel to take us to pick up our rental car. We sat in reception for half an hour waiting which was rather annoying when we wanted to get on the road to drive up to the Gold Coast. This had been booked 3-4 days previously.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thanks for your kind remarks and our apologies for the slow transfer to the rental car.

I hope you get a chance to sample our restaurant next time, breakfast is fantastic and dinner now much, much better.

I hope we see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
The Grace Hotel Sydney
The Grace Hotel Sydney
#17 of 179 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,207 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!