“So peacefull and great kids deals :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges North Sydney

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“So peacefull and great kids deals :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

A lovely place to stay, had paid in full through agent in Adelaide but once on arrival they didn't have my details even though I had paid in full months prior to our stay. Where going to charge us again and said they will refund our money once they get confirm from our agent in Adelaide.
I showed them my Paid In Full receipts adn where still against this as well.

They finally spoke to agent and confirmed my booking and they then located my booking in their system.

Nice place to stay, great buffet breakfast, Luna park tickets included in price.

Will be back again later in the year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear Sandjodi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was pleased to read you had a peaceful and comfortable stay despite the issue with your booking on arrival. Sounds like you really enjoyed Luna Park and North Sydney!

Thank you for your courtesy and interest, please visit us again soon.

Jon Ackary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Believe it or not, I live not more than 50m away from this hotel, so I know the area like the back of my hand.

There is a lot to like about Rydges at North Sydney. Firstly the room have just had a revamp, so new furniture, new beds, carpet and a paint job, and overall it's very pleasing. The rooms are comfortable, several lamps, modern flat screen TV's, new desks etc. They have some nice little touches in there like having a little input panel where you can plug in a USB cable, HDMI cable as well as your standard audio cable so if you want to bring a game console, or output your computer or charge your devices you can.

The hotel is located quite near the highway, but noise is absolutely not an issue. The rooms seem extremely well insulated and blackout curtains reduce an further ambient noise to nothing. The new beds are extremely comfortable, I stayed for 4 nights and had a wonderful nights sleep each night. Other facilities in room are what you expect to see with internet/room service...all the standard fare you'd expect. Rooms were well cleaned and organised. Mini bar has a decent array of snacks and drinks.

Big positives, every single staff member I dealt with was EXTREMELY professional, meticulously well groomed and helpful and genuinely friendly and this is a very big point. We ate at one of the restaurants downstairs which was very nice, and had a great atmosphere and was well priced. We stayed 4 days, they changed us around on the second day to a room on the eleventh floor with great views over Neutral Bay.

Location is excellent. You're 10 minutes walk or less to the heart of North Sydney, buses are about 3 minutes away that can take you to the city, or to the zoo, train station is 10 minutes walk and you could walk to the ferry in about 20 minutes, the same with Luna park and the Bridge etc. If you're driving you're about 1 minute away from the Freeway heading north/south. North Sydney itself is a very pleasant place to stay, its very quiet, very leafy and a nice respite after spending the day in central CBD.

Negatives:

The only thing I would point out for negatives would be the bathrooms. The renovation seems to have been limited new carpets, beds, furniture, fixings, new paint etc...but the bathrooms are old. There are chips in tiles, the baths are very small and shallow and the pressure not so great. They are without doubt a bit tired. They were not dirty or mouldy - just showing their age. For me, a relaxing bathroom is pretty important to me when I go away because I like to have a soak in the tub etc and to be honest, this is a purely functional bathroom, you won't be sipping a glass of champagne in their with your partner. However, given the price of the rooms and everything else it has going for it, it did not massively detract from the whole experience.

Summary: Overall, this is a really lovely hotel to stay in, the grounds are beautifully manicured, the rooms cosy and friendly, the restaurant good quality and inviting and their staff a real asset to the them. My overall impression is overwhelmingly positive and I would recommend a stay to anyone...

Room Tip: Ask the friendly staff....
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Shimarlie,

Thank you for taking the time to so comprehensively review our Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, the refurbished room and service from staff, you can be assured I have circulated your remarks to all concerned it is very helpful in motivating the team.

While the bedroom refurbishment is now complete, we understand the need to continue to invest in the Hotel and the bathrooms are very high on my list.

Thank you again for your feedback, patience and courtesy please visit us again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

I must admit we weren't expecting much after reading some of the reviews but were pleasantly surprised.
This Hotel is perfect for a quick weekend escape. We wandered around North Sydney, gazed at the Harbour from our room and had drinks in the lovely intimate bar.
Our room was spotless and the staff were very friendly.The first night we ate at a restaurant in North Sydney - such a nice walk to get there. Second night we stayed in and had room service which is such a treat and the food was great.
We will come back for our next break from the kids.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise255060
Dear Denise25,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and all that North Sydney has to offer. We particularly appreciate the kind remarks regarding the Restaurant and staff, you can be assured I have circulated your remarks to all concerned it is very helpful in motivating the team.

Thank you again for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

My wife, daughter and I stayed in a 1 bedroom room for the weekend. It was great. Clean, good value and close to the zoo, city and with good access and car parking.

Breakfast in the hotel was great, fresh juice and fruit the highlight.

We will be back

• Stayed March 2011
Dear RichnEmmie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and all that North Sydney has to offer. We particularly appreciate the kind remarks regarding the breakfast food, you can be assured I have circulated your remarks to the kitchen team it is very helpful in motivating the team.

Thank you again for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stay 2 nights while on business. Room was OK but nothing special. Bathroom outdated. Paying top dollar for probably a 3.5 star hotel

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Saws7,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was disappointed to read of your poor experience at our Hotel and hope you will accept my sincere apologies that we did not offer good value.

In March the Hotel completed a $2 million upgrade of guest rooms which unfortunately did not include bathrooms. I understand that we must continue to invest in the building and assure you that bathrooms are high on my list.

Thank you again for your feedback, perhaps we will see you again and reverse your negative opinion.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I, along with friends, booked a Saturday night package with Rydges that included entrance to Taronga Zoo's concert in the zoo night.

The room was clean (the furniture was a bit dated) and the bed was amazingly comfortable.

The bathroom was large and the bath products provided were very nice.

The major issue was the elevators. The hotel was at capacity that weekend and we were waiting up to 15 minutes for the lift to get to the lobby. We tried to take the fire stairs but they did not let off at the lobby and instead lead into the parkade. I am sure that if the hotel was not at capacity the elevators would have been much quicker.

The next day we went for breakfast, which was included in our package. It was first come, first serve and was complete chaos! As we were a large group we were told we would not be able to all sit together. When I asked if we could sit at the empty bar the host said yes so at least we all managed to sit together. The kitchen was understaffed for such a large event. The food they were preparing was very tasty but there were food items missing from the buffet. When I went up to get my breakfast there were no eggs or bacon and no coffee. Others in our group found there were no tomatoes or mushrooms when they went up. If the hotel had planned better for being at capacity and schedule seatings for the guests for breakfast it would have been a much more relaxing experience.

I think that Rydges would do well to have the appropriate number of staff on when they market an event and know that the hotel is going to be at capacity.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Dear jwallybrown,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our Hotel.

Firstly I was pleased to read that the room was clean and the bed comfortable, a great sleep is the least you’d expect from our “Dream Bed”! Your comment regarding “dated furniture” was fair and I’m delighted to advise that this has been rectified with a $2 Million refurbishment of our rooms completed only yesterday (March 21). Regrettably when you stayed we were part way through.

While at peak times there can be a wait for the lift, I was surprised to read that you were delayed 15 minutes which is extreme!! Perhaps it was due to a breakdown?? Without knowing the exact date I can’t truthfully say. I will however acknowledge it can be an issue on and hope to have a solution in due course, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.

Your comments regarding Breakfast on Sunday were fair and to the point, again my apologies and assurance that I have discussed how we can improve with the Restaurant Manager and Chef, I understand that we need to do better.

Thank you for your courtesy and interest, please visit us again soon.

Blue Mountains, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights after seeing a "sizzling hot summer deal" in our local paper. We have used such deals before and had had only one bad experience,( and that hotel closed it's doors three months later). We were not anticipating the best room in the house, but we did expect it to be clean. It was obvious that it had not been vacuumed, there were also dirty marks on the bathroom wall.
A cleaner knocked on our door on the second day about 2 in the afternoon, and asked if we wanted the room cleaned, we had just come back from the city, it was a hot and humid day and we had no wish to go anywhere for awhile, so we declined. Why it wasn't clean to start with we don't know.
When booking over the net, we had the option to pre-pay for a number of things one being buffet breakfast. The listed price was $12.50 per head. We did not know whether we were going to have breakfast on both days so decided not to pre-pay. There was no notice that failure to pre-pay would cost you!
We had a buffet breakfast on one morning only and when checking out were slugged $50. This was queried, the reception person had no idea what the prices were on the website and we were left to pay the $50.
On returning home we sent an email to the head office, and received a phone call from an employee 2 days later. He said he could see how we had become confused and he would have his IT people look into it. No apology no offer of a refund. Let me assure you, the website still listed buffet breakfasts at $12.50 per head that day, and it probably still hasn't changed. No confusion folks just a rort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was disturbed to read of the poor service on this occasion and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the inadequate response to your query regarding breakfast charges and housekeeping.
The $12.50 breakfast offer was intended for guests who "pre-commit" either before arrival or the night before, it helps us to better anticipate numbers and adjust catering. If you were misled by our website that is our responsibility as it is to rectify any confusion when drawn to our attention, I regret that we were unable to do so and apologise on behalf of the Hotel.
I will organise a refund of the $25 overpaid to your credit card.
Regarding housekeeping, I will be conducting regular "spot checks" to ensure an appropriate standard is maintained, we understand the need to do better.
Again thank you for your response, I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges North Sydney and demonstrate we are capable of much better. Please call or email me directly so that I can ensure your stay is above expectation.
Yours Sincerely,

InterContinental Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
#19 of 179 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,053 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!