“Relaxing & convenient”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Relaxing & convenient”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I must admit we weren't expecting much after reading some of the reviews but were pleasantly surprised.
This Hotel is perfect for a quick weekend escape. We wandered around North Sydney, gazed at the Harbour from our room and had drinks in the lovely intimate bar.
Our room was spotless and the staff were very friendly.The first night we ate at a restaurant in North Sydney - such a nice walk to get there. Second night we stayed in and had room service which is such a treat and the food was great.
We will come back for our next break from the kids.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise255060
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear Denise25,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and all that North Sydney has to offer. We particularly appreciate the kind remarks regarding the Restaurant and staff, you can be assured I have circulated your remarks to all concerned it is very helpful in motivating the team.

Thank you again for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

Jon Ackary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Reviewed April 8, 2011

My wife, daughter and I stayed in a 1 bedroom room for the weekend. It was great. Clean, good value and close to the zoo, city and with good access and car parking.

Breakfast in the hotel was great, fresh juice and fruit the highlight.

We will be back

• Stayed March 2011
Dear RichnEmmie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and all that North Sydney has to offer. We particularly appreciate the kind remarks regarding the breakfast food, you can be assured I have circulated your remarks to the kitchen team it is very helpful in motivating the team.

Thank you again for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stay 2 nights while on business. Room was OK but nothing special. Bathroom outdated. Paying top dollar for probably a 3.5 star hotel

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Saws7,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was disappointed to read of your poor experience at our Hotel and hope you will accept my sincere apologies that we did not offer good value.

In March the Hotel completed a $2 million upgrade of guest rooms which unfortunately did not include bathrooms. I understand that we must continue to invest in the building and assure you that bathrooms are high on my list.

Thank you again for your feedback, perhaps we will see you again and reverse your negative opinion.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I, along with friends, booked a Saturday night package with Rydges that included entrance to Taronga Zoo's concert in the zoo night.

The room was clean (the furniture was a bit dated) and the bed was amazingly comfortable.

The bathroom was large and the bath products provided were very nice.

The major issue was the elevators. The hotel was at capacity that weekend and we were waiting up to 15 minutes for the lift to get to the lobby. We tried to take the fire stairs but they did not let off at the lobby and instead lead into the parkade. I am sure that if the hotel was not at capacity the elevators would have been much quicker.

The next day we went for breakfast, which was included in our package. It was first come, first serve and was complete chaos! As we were a large group we were told we would not be able to all sit together. When I asked if we could sit at the empty bar the host said yes so at least we all managed to sit together. The kitchen was understaffed for such a large event. The food they were preparing was very tasty but there were food items missing from the buffet. When I went up to get my breakfast there were no eggs or bacon and no coffee. Others in our group found there were no tomatoes or mushrooms when they went up. If the hotel had planned better for being at capacity and schedule seatings for the guests for breakfast it would have been a much more relaxing experience.

I think that Rydges would do well to have the appropriate number of staff on when they market an event and know that the hotel is going to be at capacity.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Dear jwallybrown,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our Hotel.

Firstly I was pleased to read that the room was clean and the bed comfortable, a great sleep is the least you’d expect from our “Dream Bed”! Your comment regarding “dated furniture” was fair and I’m delighted to advise that this has been rectified with a $2 Million refurbishment of our rooms completed only yesterday (March 21). Regrettably when you stayed we were part way through.

While at peak times there can be a wait for the lift, I was surprised to read that you were delayed 15 minutes which is extreme!! Perhaps it was due to a breakdown?? Without knowing the exact date I can’t truthfully say. I will however acknowledge it can be an issue on and hope to have a solution in due course, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.

Your comments regarding Breakfast on Sunday were fair and to the point, again my apologies and assurance that I have discussed how we can improve with the Restaurant Manager and Chef, I understand that we need to do better.

Thank you for your courtesy and interest, please visit us again soon.

Blue Mountains, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights after seeing a "sizzling hot summer deal" in our local paper. We have used such deals before and had had only one bad experience,( and that hotel closed it's doors three months later). We were not anticipating the best room in the house, but we did expect it to be clean. It was obvious that it had not been vacuumed, there were also dirty marks on the bathroom wall.
A cleaner knocked on our door on the second day about 2 in the afternoon, and asked if we wanted the room cleaned, we had just come back from the city, it was a hot and humid day and we had no wish to go anywhere for awhile, so we declined. Why it wasn't clean to start with we don't know.
When booking over the net, we had the option to pre-pay for a number of things one being buffet breakfast. The listed price was $12.50 per head. We did not know whether we were going to have breakfast on both days so decided not to pre-pay. There was no notice that failure to pre-pay would cost you!
We had a buffet breakfast on one morning only and when checking out were slugged $50. This was queried, the reception person had no idea what the prices were on the website and we were left to pay the $50.
On returning home we sent an email to the head office, and received a phone call from an employee 2 days later. He said he could see how we had become confused and he would have his IT people look into it. No apology no offer of a refund. Let me assure you, the website still listed buffet breakfasts at $12.50 per head that day, and it probably still hasn't changed. No confusion folks just a rort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was disturbed to read of the poor service on this occasion and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the inadequate response to your query regarding breakfast charges and housekeeping.
The $12.50 breakfast offer was intended for guests who "pre-commit" either before arrival or the night before, it helps us to better anticipate numbers and adjust catering. If you were misled by our website that is our responsibility as it is to rectify any confusion when drawn to our attention, I regret that we were unable to do so and apologise on behalf of the Hotel.
I will organise a refund of the $25 overpaid to your credit card.
Regarding housekeeping, I will be conducting regular "spot checks" to ensure an appropriate standard is maintained, we understand the need to do better.
Again thank you for your response, I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges North Sydney and demonstrate we are capable of much better. Please call or email me directly so that I can ensure your stay is above expectation.
Yours Sincerely,
Jon Ackary General Manager
jon_ackary@rydges.com

Travelers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Queensland
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed in Rydges north sydney for 1 night last week. and was not impressed. The rooms are old. very old and tired and desperately need a refurb. A couple of flat screen tv's don't disguise the fact the bathrooms are straight out of 1985. however that is acceptable I suppose. The main problem was that the AC worked for a while then turned into an awful racket. this occurred late at night so we didn't bother contacting the staff. Also the bed/pillows were about as old as the room. (see my photos). They say they are refurbishing the place and it looks like the've done the dining room and bar, which were nice. we even had an excellent tapas meal. but overall this needs some serious attention. Plus it really annoys me when they charge 1.5% to use a visa or mastercard. I can understand for amex, but for visa is just plain gouging. They did offer us to pay cash!!! for no fee.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear Misskati,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was disappointed to read of your poor impression and acknowledge that the rooms are in need of refurbishment. Indeed I am delighted to advise we are part way through a $2 Million refurbishment program to upgrade corridors, Queen and Twin Bedrooms which will be completed late March 2011.
I was surprised at your comment regarding the "old" bed as there are none in the Hotel more than 5 years old and pillows are routinely replaced. Management also inspects rooms daily to ensure that all is as it should, please be assured that comfortable beds are of the highest priority and anything faulty replaced without delay. It would be great if you would contact me (jon_ackary@rydges.com) with the room number and I will personally double check.
Your comment regarding AC is noted and has been discussed with the Maintenance Manager, we understand we need to do better and hope you will accept our sincere apologies.
Again thank you for your interest, I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel and that you enjoy the significant improvements outlined above.

Jon_Ackary@rydges.com
Newcastle
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it offered a $234 package for accommodation, parking, breakfast, and transport to and from the Twilight at Taronga concert.

We arrived at 11.30 am and were pleasantly surprised to receive an instant check in. At that time on a Saturday, there were plenty of underground parking spaces available, and with direct access to all floors, it made luggage transfer easy.

Our room on the 11th floor had excellent distant views (see photos), good air-conditioning, a window which actually opened slightly, a decent desk, lamp and chair, and a chaise lounge. There was no noise from the street.

The bed was extremely comfortable, with quality linen and pillows. The bathroom however, sorely needed an upgrade. The hand towel and washer were fairly new, but the bath towels were greyish and well used. The shower was over the bath, which had a few enamel chips and a little mould between some tiles. The shower head was pretty woeful, and the shower curtain, while clean, could easily be upgraded to a glass screen.

The flat screen TV was great but the reception on some channels was dreadful.

And when will hotels realise that free wifi in the rooms is an excellent selling point? Sure, it was free in the lobby, but I prefer to sit at the desk in my room, which is far more comfortable than sitting with a laptop in a public space!

Breakfast was pretty ordinary - two juices (orange and pear), cereals, bircher muesli and yoghurt, stewed and fresh sliced fruit,and the usual bain marie offerings of scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, soggy hash browns etc. Flat white/latte etc coffee was at additional cost, and was tasteless.

I think we will stay elsewhere next time and drive ourselves to the concert at the zoo!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Rydges North Sydney.
I was delighted to hear you experienced fantastic service from our team during check in and that we were able to accommodate an early check in for you. Our rooms on the higher levels are extremely quiet and offer fantastic views. All our rooms feature the exclusive Rydges Dream Beds which offer the perfect night’s sleep and extremely comfortable.
I was however disappointed to hear the bathroom did not meet our usual standards and that you were not satisfied with your breakfast experience. Please be assured your comments have been passed onto the appropriate departments.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
Hotel Urban St Leonards
Hotel Urban St Leonards
#1 of 3 in St Leonards
Meriton Suites Chatswood

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!