“Fantastic Views Location & Staff!”

North Sydney Harbourview Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband, myself and our daughter had 3 nights here from the 21st of September. The rooms are not huge but we managed quite well with the space on offer. We were up on the 13th floor and the view was spectacular - the bed was extremely comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean. We loved the convenience of being able to walk down to the ferry, walk across the Harbour Bridge or grab a train into town with out any hassle - we also had a night at Luna Park which was easy to walk to. We also loved the Staff and how friendly they were and how special they made us feel - they were all very professional and helpful even though the hotel was busy and full due to the Sydney Running Festival. The breakfast was plentiful and amazing and changed a little each morning. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JaLa2012

Reviewed October 6, 2013

From our booking via phone to the moment we arrived the Friendly, Energetic & Happy staff made our Stay very special...We went to see the Naval Review and it is True that Huge picture windows in each room have magnificent views of the harbour...But the staff and their nothing is to much trouble attitude just make this place a real find..
My Elderly parents (one in wheelchair).. loved it..
We dined in the restaurant and the meals were Excellent with service quick & very Attentive..
I must say if you have an experience where you can remember names it must be good..
Claire (reservations)Caleb (valet/luggage)Nathan (Restaurant)..I could go on , but you get the idea.
We stayed on the fifth floor and honestly the trains did not bother us...Bathrooms are not very big but are clean and modern..
We loved the Beautiful Buffet Breakfast ,a great selection of everything..
We had the weekend package(Two nights,parking,&breaky) for just over $500....If You want a memory that will linger, at an affordable price then this is Sydneys best kept Secret...well done !

• Stayed: October 2013
Harbourview_Hotel, General Manager at North Sydney Harbourview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear davidp2800,

Thank you for your post regarding your recent experience at the North Sydney Harbourview Hotel.

We are delighted to read your comments and pleased you enjoyed your time at the Harbourview. It’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from guests!

Regards,
Stuart Mercier – General Manager

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice now when my friend and I have participated in the Sydney Running Festival. The staff are always friendly and the rooms are clean, tidy and the beds comfortable. I have always found the prices to be reasonable and most of the rooms have great harbour views. I would recommend trying to get a room on one of the higher levels as there is a train line directly underneath the hotel. On a positive though the train station is a 2 minute walk from the hotel which makes it easy to get to the city and back. I have stayed on the 11th and 5th floors and barely noticed the train on the 11th floor but definitely did on the 5th floor. Apart from that i highly recommend the hotel and have no hesitation in staying there in the future.

Room Tip: Try a higher level to avoid train noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My sister, husband and kids were visiting over from america and this was my treat, a trip to Sydney could not have been better.

The views are magnificent although my room only had harbour not opera house views. The rooms were clean, spacious, the bathrooms were modern. The beds were extremely comfortable.

Otherwise really friendly and helpful front desk, very good concierge. Everyone was excellent and helped us in whatever we required.

Good atrium, nice bar and great breakfast.

Walking distance from the ferrys that could take you to circular quay.
Across the road was a very handy mall.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had a room on the 11th floor and the train noise was just an occasional rumble, that I barely noticed. My sleep was not disturbed at all.
The room was on the small side, and the bathroom more so, but ok as I was travelling alone.
I chose this hotel because it was close to the North Sydney train station.
It was but a few metres away, but, to reach the reception area from the street, I had to choose between sharing a rather steep ramp with vehicles or hauling my bag up a number of stairs.
Apart from that inconvenience, I was happy with my three night stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank spenditnow
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Pros:

1. Beautiful view of the city!
2. Happy hour specials were excellent value!
3. Staff was friendly, though needed nudging

Cons:
1. A bit of a walk to restaurants at night.
2. Beware rooms close to the ground floor. You're right under a train track and it is VERY noisy on these low floors. I asked to move up, to avoid the noise. I was told there were no more rooms. I told them, then, that I needed to check out for the remainder of my 5 night stay (this was upon arrival). Magically, a room became available. ;-)
3. Rooms are not 4 star, nor is hotel. It's a cute hotel and perhaps 3.5 star is a better rating for it.
Temper expectations and you'll be fine.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ATLconsultant
Reviewed September 27, 2013

There is northing particularly terrible about the harborview, but it's a very uninspiring place to stay. The view is fantastic of course if you get a room on the right side, too bad if you don't. The rooms are all fairly new but small. If you get a room on anything lower than level 7 than don't even think about an early night as the trains are very loud late into the night and early in the morning. Our company has a policy with the hotel that we are never supposed to be put on the lower floors, but they seem to forget a lot.

There's no gym or pool - there are two nearby gyms up the road but organizing a day pass is a bit of a hassle if you don't pre-book it. How hard would it be to install a small gym?

The bar closes early, even when there are people still drinking. I've seen last drinks called at 9pm with 10 people in the bar.

The restaurant food is OK most of the time, but it's all heavy high calorie dishes that are OK for one night maybe, but really dreary on longer stays. As North Sydney is a ghost-town at night you don't have many other options for local eating. And the food can be extremely variable. This week I was naughty and ordered fries. The first night they were so good, so crispy on the outside and creamy inside, really top grade. The next night I decided I needed to try them again and was supplied with a bowl of grey, oily, floppy pieces of potato that looked like they had been boiled in oil, not fried. I had a steak one night that was just awful, overcooked and just full of gristle, yet had lamb another that was perfectly cooked. There's no tight standard on the food that leaves the kitchen.

I'll continue to stay there as it's really very close to my work and they are stingy on hotel costs these days, but I would warn visitors to the city to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel Urban St Leonards
Hotel Urban St Leonards
#1 of 3 in St Leonards
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection

Been to North Sydney Harbourview Hotel? Share your experiences!