“Great view if you can handle the train rumbles”

North Sydney Harbourview Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The staff were fantastic, rooms were very nicely appointed and recently renovated (or looked very well kept)!

The view of the city was amazing. The restaurant dinner was fantastic - very nice food and very good service!!

The only thing that I found to be a problem was the train vibrations. We were on level 5 but there was still a regular rumble from the trains below. Whilst for me the positives outweighed this issue someone that is picky about noise/ vibrations may not be so tolerant.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank peard
Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to Valentine Day date in Sydney,Australia. To take advantage of this stay we selected North Sydney Harbourview Hotel. The staff was wonderful, professional and attentive. We had a terrific view of the Sydney Harbour, The Bridge and beautiful skyline. The assist manager Alyce was very helpful with transportation arrangement an overall nice person thanks for everything.

CMJ III Atlanta, Ga. February 2013

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was booked into this Hotel by a business associate. I was from outer town for a two day training/workshop. Greats views to the Sydney Harbour bridge. The buffet lunches, dinner was excellent. Some good old fashion service. Above average quality for a four star Hotel. However the decore was getting a little tied. The trains to North Sydney Station run underneath. So if you get a downstairs room and spend some time in the function rooms you have to get used to sound of trains rumbling through. The check out was also a problem . So the check out staff need to be a little more honest is all I could comment about. My advise to all stayers to check the bill after paying by credit card. Otherwise a fair to reasonable experience.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible to avoid the noise from the trains
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Harbourview_Hotel, Manager at North Sydney Harbourview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Harbourview.

If you would like to contact the Hotel direct to discuss the matters you raised further please call us on 02 9955 0499.

Let us assure you we take guest feedback very seriously and will endeavour to ensure a higher level of service is achieved.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here for the second time on Australia Day ! It was amazing, we were on the 14th floor, great views of the harbour. Saw the tall ships race and other action on the harbour. Had a package deal that included wine and chocolates on arrival, dinner and breakfast. All were amazing. Will definitely stay there again. No train noise (thank God, as I particularly hate trains. I have a Phobia of them).
Staff were excellent.
Room was good and the bed was extremely comfortable.....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Julief61,

We really appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass on your comments to the team at the Harbourview.

We really pride ourselves on our customer service so thanks for pointing out the experiences that you had with our staff.

See you back soon!

Regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to an evening sans kids for a change and head over to North Sydney to enjoy some Fajitas at our favourite Mexican restaurant - Had to Happen. In order to take full advantage of the wonderful sangria they have there we stayed overnight at the Harbourview.

I usually head to Wotif or Last Minute to book one nighters like this but found I got the best deal by ringing the Harbourview direct.

We went for a $245 package with parking and breakfast, which was very reasonable for a Saturday evening.

We took the kids in to have lunch with us and met my mother at the hotel. We had a lovely light lunch together and the service was impeccable!

The whole family went up to check out the room and more importantly the view! They all had to admit it was pretty amazing.

The rooms appear to be freshly refurbished; either that or they are meticulously maintained. I felt I was walking on plush newly laid carpet; the bathroom tiles were fresh and clean. While the room was small it wasn't pokey.

There isn't a pool at the Harbourview but I understand you are given free access to the iconic North Sydney pools right near Luna Park.

Very impressed with the high quality of the linen and the bed was extremely comfortable, it also appeared to be brand new!

After dinner we roamed around North Sydney for a bit, it's pretty low key on a Saturday night, we did debate whether we should ferry it over to Darling Harbour for a while but the hubby had a headache so we went back to the hotel, he slept off the headache while I enjoyed several firework displays.

The view is breathtaking at night; I think I stood there for hours just taking it all in.

We were situated on the 8th floor, there was some train noise and I am a light sleeper, however I didn't find it an issue at all. Having spent the better part of my life commuting on trains (and sleeping on them) I think this contributed to a better night’s sleep.

At about 5:30am some trains got to honking the horns which didn't really bother us but we wondered why they would persist in doing that so early in the morning, those on lower floors can't have been happy. That says more about city rail personnel than the hotel though.

The breakfast buffet was a real treat, everything was delicious!

We found the staff to be warm, friendly and highly efficient at all times.

Check out was easy and simple, the way it should be.

It's worth noting that the elevators are being upgraded, so sometimes we found there was a queue and the going was a little slow. However these works are necessary so it was nothing more than a very minor inconvenience.

So thank you so much Harbourview, we might make this a yearly event!

Room Tip: Try to go higher than level 6, the train noise will always be there but it's less pronounced the...
1  Thank L410

Dear L410,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the North Sydney Harbourview Hotel and for taking the time to review our Hotel.

As you have mentioned, we are in an ideal location to enjoy the best of Sydney.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We got a package that included breakfast and parking. We stayed on the 5th floor. The view from the large window was amazing, even got to see the Chinese New Year fireworks in the distance. The room was very clean and well furbished. The beds were extremely comfortable. The only minor downside of the room was that there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. The staff were very friendly, professional and attentive. Buffet breakfast was also good, plenty of food and very attentive staff in the restaurant. Loved staying on that side of town as well. Still close to the city but not as busy. As it sits on top of North Sydney Train station, I thought the trains might disturb my sleep as they were noticeable when awake, however I slept very well, maybe the great beds had something to do with it. Easy access to the city via the trains but also a pleasant walk across the bridge. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have not stayed there in many years as we usually stay at the Urban or on the city side. We were not disappointed! From the initial enquiry to the check-in, breakfast and checkout process everything was seamless and efficient. Commendations to Amy for her telephone assistance and lovely welcoming smile. Our room was small but the bathrooms were renovated and the view was brilliant. Gorgeous Sydney Harbour vista and even firework views (we think from Darling Harbour). Very comfy bed and only slight noise from the railway station. We were on the 6th floor so as you go further up I imagine it would be even quieter. Great variety at breakfast which was attended by with hard working helpful staff. Glad to have returned there and given the easy proximity to the city side we will be back. Well done.

Room Tip: Try and get the highest floor as the railway noise is regular
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
McLaren Hotel
McLaren Hotel
#4 of 10 in North Sydney

Been to North Sydney Harbourview Hotel? Share your experiences!