“Wonderful location, stunning views, lovely swimming pool”
Review of Domaine Michaud

Domaine Michaud
Ranked #1 of 1 Roullens B&B and Inns
Calne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location, stunning views, lovely swimming pool”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Travelling with two friends, my wife and I stayed at this idyllic B&B for two nights in June 2014. We all had a great time relaxing around the lovely swimming pool and admiring the fabulous views of Carcassone and the Pyrenees in the distance. Jolanda is a very attentive and perfect host who gave us detailed advice on interesting places to visit (Mirepois, Camon, La Montbel and Limoux) and has recently shared food recipes with my wife. Our ground floor room had a big, comfy bed and a sunken bath with easy access to the swimming pool, which was very well maintained and clean. To avoid driving to restaurants, we requested meals and Jolanda and her son did a great job cooking delicious food served in the large dining room, where we also drank aperitifs and coffee sat in front of a huge fire place. A perfect place to chill out and relax in very tranquil surroundings.

Room Tip: We chose a ground floor room with a door opening out to the garden and within 15m of the swimming po...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I cannot praise this B&B enough. The location and views were really great. The bedroom and bathroom were first class and spotless and the food was really superb. The family could not have been more helpful. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank James W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Having discovered Domaine Michaud in October 2013 and loved it, my husband and I returned in June 2014 to stay for four nights and quietly celebrate my birthday. We were delighted that all the things we loved about it were unchanged such as the very warm welcome, delicious food and beautiful views. Even better there were lots of positive improvements including a beautiful new pool, a gym and the completed entrance to the bedroom wing. This time we stayed in the apartment which has a big bed, fabulous sunken bath/double ‘rain’ shower, a pretty sitting room and a kitchen if we needed it – all with Jolanda’s expert interior designer touch.
On my birthday we had lunch out at a vineyard, and came back to Domaine Michaud to find to my total surprise friends and family arriving to join us for the remainder of our stay – all thanks to the secret planning by my husband and his accomplice Jolanda!
We all had a brilliant time (apart from those who were sadly victims of the French Air Traffic Controllers strike and stranded in England so missed it!) – delicious food – including a wonderful surprise birthday cake by budding chef Sando. Jolanda is also a terrific vegetarian cook – which I believe is fairly rare in France!
It’s an ideal place to go to relax, or even to paint or to write, an easy drive from Carcassonne airport, lots of interesting ancient sites and towns to visit, bracing walks, and one can spend hours just gazing at the different views from Domaine Michaud’s perch high up above Carcassonne while enjoying a cup of tea or glass of wine by the pool.
We’ll definitely be going back!

Room Tip: We loved the apartment/suite but our guests loved their rooms too with their beautiful views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank fooderella
Bath
Reviewed June 6, 2014

While visiting my parent's new holiday home just outside Carcassone, we booked to visit our closest neighbours at Domaine Michaud.

As you arrive you are greeted by the breath taking views than you begin to expect from this area.

The restaurant itself is a great idea with a 'Suprise Supper'. We rang the door bell and were greeted by Jolanda, who was incredibly friendly.

We were shown around the lounge and dining room, I was a little apprehensive as we were the only people there, but soon joined by other guests.

The idea of having the food picked for you is great, and the local produce that was served did not disappoint.

The icing on the cake was the wine selection, just three reds, three whites, a rose and some great spakling wine from Rives Blanques which we had visited ealier that day and the local Domaine Cointes, all at a great price.

To top it off, it was incredible value for money. I look forward to visiting my new French local next time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TBBath
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We drove out from Carcassone for dinner and, I must admit, I was very anxious about the drive back in the dark after dinner but Yolande assured us that we would meet no other traffic and could drive slowly. Even at that we ended up reversing out of a farm road at one point. However the view and the dinner were fabulous. I think, another time, we should stay overnight.
The night we were there there was only one other couple in the dining room and Yolande served the whole meal very smoothly and we had time for a nice chat at the end. Her prices are extremely reasonable.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gourmandm
West Malling, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2014

This is simply the most wonderful B&B to stay if you are visiting Carcassonne and enjoy being treated to something very special both from an accommodation and culinary experience.

Having eaten here one night last year whilst staying with family at a villa a few miles away I knew this was the place to bring my wife to start celebrating her 40th birthday this year. From the moment we were welcomed upon arrival until the sad time when we had to leave this was simply delightful and proved to be the best decision.

On our first evening there Jolanda set us up a romantic table for two overlooking La Cite where we were served a truly delightful four-course menu having relaxed with a couple of glasses of Blanquette. The amuse of roasted pepper and paprika soup was so full of flavour and the Carpaccio of beef so thinly sliced it looked to have been painted on the plate which, accompanied with oil, pine nuts and salad was a highlight. The main-course dishes of pork and ,on the following evening, confit du canard served with an olive potato mash were far superior than many, far more expensive, dishes I've eaten in popular established restaurants back in and around London. We personally appreciated that all the food and wine was sourced from local suppliers as well, something important to this family run business. The second night was a real treat as the comfortable atmosphere in Domaine Michaud led to us meeting the most wonderful couple from Savage, MN who joined us for dinner and made for a great evening of food, wine and conversation.

The room was beautifully furnished and the work undertaken over the winter for the new accommodation entrance is a delight to behold.

For location, this is perfectly situated as only a 15 minute drive from the airport which for us only staying two nights in Carcassonne was excellent. It also makes it a perfect location for anyone wishing to visit the Pyrenees, only an hour from the sea as well as the many local towns and villages (Mirepoix being one of our favourites)

The love and dedication each family member puts in is truly reflected in the quality of service and food from start to finish, making this somewhere my wife and I would to recommend anyone visiting Carcassonne.

Thank you to Jolanda and all her family (including the two dogs and cat) for such a wonderful time. We'll will come back soon!

Room Tip: This is only a small property with a handful of rooms but the Alesta which we had has the best view...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave R
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Literally one of the best dinners I've ever had. Not only the place and it's amazing decoration made us have a delightful night but the service and food. The owner has a great taste and she takes care of every single detail. Her son cooked dinner for us and I'm 100% sure he will become a magnificent chef. Our dinner was so good and well presented that we will recommend this amazing place to anyone that might have the chance to go. Meanwhile I'm just waiting for the next time to come!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank paula p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roullens
Le Domaine d'Auriac
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
#1 of 39 in Carcassonne

Been to Domaine Michaud? Share your experiences!