“Ideas above its station”

Fantails Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Wetheral
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Fantails was recommended to us as the place to go for a posh meal during our week's stay in Cumbria. So sad that the people running the place have no idea about what constitutes class, and that the local clientele think this is anything special: the food and the interior furnishing was actually pretty good, but I don't expect to be asked whether I want 'sides' (can't stand that expression!) like onion rings with my braised duck and dauphinoise potatoes, or be assaulted by 1970's disco music throughout the evening. The poor chef deserves better, but at least we had a laugh about the experience!

4  Thank bassboatboy
There are newer reviews for Fantails Restaurant

Reviewed May 19, 2013

lovely food but my meal came with a lack of vegtables.for the prices your paying you would expect to get your own portion of veg but instead you get a small bowl to share between the whole table. not substantial enough!

2  Thank jill g
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I do not get all the fuss about fantails. Its good but its not great. It is nice food and I enjoyed my meal, but it came with a heavier than average price tag. The decor is a little dated and I felt a tad over dressed.

2  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Excellent restaurant with enormous amounts of character, lovely log fire and food was perfect! I would suggest that you book as it can be very busy

fantails, Manager at Fantails Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your visit here with us at Fantails. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I ate here recently, weeknight evening and we had a nice time.

The food is nice pub grub, nothing more, in fact a few points are lost for extremely small portions of vegetables.

The bill however was very, very overpriced for what is it. I would have been very happy paying £20/head for the food, but. It worked out much more.

Summary: overpriced, but nice, pub food.

It should be listed in the Carlisle restaurants list, because #1 of 1 restaurants in Wetheral is too kind on it. Fight for your place with the big boys...