“Best Food on the Island”

The Beach Club at Calabash
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Placed on the white powdery sands of L'anse Aux Epines Beach, The Beach Club at the Calabash offers the perfect lunchtime setting. British chef Mark Banthorpe fell in love with the island's flavours, and this love lead him to create an exciting menu focused on Grenada's natural ingredients and spices. Lunch is served between 12 noon - 3pm and "tapas" bites and cocktails available from 10.30am - 6.30pm everyday.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Taking time out of studying for medical school finals to write this review means that the food is THAT GOOD!
Let me paint you a picture..
The first time I went to Bash, we were sitting at our table, overlooking the beautiful Prickly Bay, and we saw Mark B, the head chef, down at the dock, his feet in the water, using the dock as a table, and he was scaling fresh caught fish! It does not get any fresher than that! After he was done, he came over and told us what had just been brought in and said he could make us 'this and that' - dishes that were not even on the menu! I was in awe, having never experienced anything like that at a restaurant in Grenada before.
A few things he made for us not on the menu were, fresh caught king fish (wahoo) soft shell burritos, raw seared king fish with a sweet soy glaze (so good!!), smoked tuna tartare, garlic shrimp and orzo salad (my descriptions don't do justice the quality and flavor that were in these dishes!)
His passion for food is apparent and refreshing. He will ask you what you want to eat, and make you anything as long as he can (It even says it on the menu!).
It was the most pleasant dining experience I have had on the island! I have been back several times and have not been disappointed once. I have even called in lunch orders that I picked up for convenience.
I am a big foodie. I appreciate "good food". And that is exactly what you will find at Bash.

3  Thank Marisa C
There are newer reviews for The Beach Club at Calabash

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great tapas and Cesar salad. Mark Bash is pleasant and a treat to talk to. He loves his food and loves to talk about it.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Mark has expanded his tapas selection since we enjoyed having lunch at his beach bar and restaurant during our stay at the Calabash Hotel in November, 2012. The garlic shrimp is probably still our favorite, but the callaloo quiche is delicious and there are so many more. We were always thirsty as well as hungry after returning from a morning of SCUBA diving and the staff at the beach bar greeted us with plenty of ice water and the offer to provide whatever other libations we desired. The catch of the day varied on a daily basis but was always grilled to perfection and served on a bed of crisp greens. The menu featured many more entrees, but it was impossible to resist the catch. French fries were wonderful and the desserts were irresistible.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

What an amazing restaurant! We were fortunate enough to be staying in Prickly Bay so discovered this restaurant by accident when in search of cocktails at the beginning of our week. The staff were so lovely and the tapas bites so tasty that we resolved to visit again during full lunch service.

On our return, luck was again with us as Mark was in the restaurant so we were able to speak with him directly. He made our day by sorting out the children first - five children between four and eight were very happy with fresh Mahi-mahi served with vegetables and the adults were happy that we could peruse the menu in peace with an amazingly good Bloody Mary! The menu was full of tempting delights and we commented that it takes a confident and accommodating chef to comment 'if there is anything special that you would like me to make, just ask'.

While we were trying to decide, Mark came over and told us that they had just taken delivery of some red snapper - were we interested? Yes please! He showed us the fish and we were happy for him to prepare it however he felt was best. We had some amazing calamari and ice cold white wine while we waited.

The dish that was presented to us was honestly one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Maybe it was the fish cooked en papillote with fresh tomatoes and herbs, maybe it was the beautifully dressed salad or the sweet potato fries, maybe it was the dreamlike location or maybe (just maybe) it was the numerous bottles of wine consumed with great friends. I think it was a combination of it all that made everything just perfect.

As we basked in the glow of a full belly, we noticed that the children were talking to Mark down by the water's edge - we went to investigate and found that he was preparing fresh lobsters and couldn't have been more patient with the children and all of their questions. We were only sorry that we were at the end of our holiday and unable to return to sample them.

I realise that this is a gushing review but I will remember our lunch there as long as I live.

2  Thank Rebeccalm23
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We discovered this beach and Mark B at the end of our holiday. We had 2 lovely lunches and Mark is a great chef, he is very passionate about his food and nothing is too much trouble. His customer service is excellent he is a really lovely guy, so are his 2 bar staff who are very polite and friendly. The setting of the Bash bar is idyllic right on a beautiful bay. Well worth a visit, just park in Calabash hotel and walk through. We spent the afternoon on the beach which has lovely calm water.