All reviewslae cottagessand barhummingbird cottageprickly bay marinaswallow cottageliving areahome away from homefront officegrand anseself cateringrum punchefficient air conditioningbedroom apartmentlocal disheshired a carfully equipped kitchenhousekeeper
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The apartment we had (Kite) was spacious, clean, and well-appointed for self-catering. Being on the second floor, for sleeping, we definitely found it necessary to use the air conditioner that is located solely in the bedroom. We found the manager and staff to be very helpful and accommodating: indeed, the manager loaned us a cell phone and gave us his cell phone number to be used any time we had a problem anyplace in Grenada. The grounds were pleasantly landscaped, clean and located on the bay; watching the sun set over the bay while sitting outside was almost obligatory after experiencing it once. BTW, walking out to the tip of the LAE peninsula from the Cottages is delightful and quite beautiful. In short, I do not hesitate to recommend LAE Cottages and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelin_tommy
laecottages, General Manager at Lance Aux Epines Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for reporting back about your stay at Lance Aux Epines Cottages. Feedback on what you enjoyed, or ways we can enhance your visit is always welcome, as it helps us tailor our services, so we can continue to meet the expectations of our valued patrons.
Without a doubt, the heat in the Caribbean can be intense during certain times of the year. You’ll notice it first when you step off your plane. Our beach-front property allows guests to cool down quickly though, by enjoying a refreshing dip in the sea, and we recommend several cold drinks at Sand bar on weekends! Standing fans can be requested to help increase the airflow in the non air-conditioned part of the apartment and all bedrooms are fully air-conditioned, providing you with a respite from the tropical heat. This also makes sleeping much more restorative.
Lance Aux Epines is a special place to us, and we are glad you took some time out to explore it. The view from the peninsula, especially when the sun sets, is nothing short of breathtaking. I hope you brought your camera. We would love to have you back and hope to see you again one day in the future.
Regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I almost didn't want to write this review as I don't want this place to become famous and raise their rates or get swamped with other tourists.

Main thing about this place was how nice and friendly everyone here was. Great room looking right out at the beach. Not real fancy but always clean and just nice.

I will be back for another visit.
Biggest disadvantage is that it is away from most things (i.e. shopping) so you can't just walk to the store to buy food etc.. I guess it woould help to have a car but driving in Grenada didn't look like much fun (I didn't try it)

Room Tip: Bring bug spray anywhere on the island
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moonpieh3

Thank you for choosing to share your positive experience at Lance Aux Epines Cottages with others. We appreciate your honest evaluation and are pleased to learn that you feel that LAE Cottages in and of itself is a secret almost too good to share! :-)
Since our beach front property is away from tourist traps, there is a lot less foot traffic, and it feels at times like a private beach. Most maintain the increased privacy and tranquillity is a good trade off, as access to the islands Spice Land Mall is about a 5 minute drive away. Our unique location means guests will most likely want to avail themselves of a car or bus, if shopping and sight seeing is a desired pursuit. For the adventurous who want to explore the island, a bus ride into town, from the roundabout (about 20 mins. walk), is an affordable $2.50 EC ($1.00 U.S).
Our talented staff are what make it possible for us to do what we do. Many have been with us for a long time and we are proud of the care they consistently provide our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again one day in the future!
Regards,

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended to us by friend's who stayed here last year and it delivers on all counts! The location is perfect.....a small collection of cottages and apartments thoughtfully arranged in lovely gardens which border onto a very quiet beach. There's all you need outdoors for relaxing in the gorgeous Caribbean climate. Comfortable loungers (with cushions) are provided as are picnic-style tables, benches and parasols. Numerous trees provide shade and one can even sling a hammock on one of the stands dotted around the garden!
My friend and I have been staying in Ramier apartment....sadly now almost at the end of our 2 weeks in paradise. I have stayed in all manner of self-catering accommodation over the years but what we found here ranks among the best. Our apartment is incredibly spacious, comfortable and very well equipped. Full marks for excellent Wi-Fi at no extra charge! My only very minor observation to make life easier in the kitchen would be the addition of a dishwasher....but that's a very very small criticism indeed. The bedrooms have air conditioners and ceiling fans assist in keeping cool when necessary. Towels and linen are changed as often as you wish.....an army of housekeepers arrive each morning to see to this and other domestic tasks for your comfort. Ours, a lady called Ann, is charming and she has looked after us so well.
All members of staff have been welcoming, friendly and helpful. Thaneia in particular, at front desk, has been wonderful, sorting out everything for us from car hire and restaurant bookings to the arranging of a river-tubing expedition. She clearly has a lot more patience than me!!
This has been only my second trip to the Caribbean, my first being an average experience in Barbados last year. However, Grenada is a lovely
island.....great people, great beaches and lots to see & do. I'd definitely come again and I'd definitely stay at Lance aux Epines Cottages on a future visit.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Guy0862
Reviewed November 24, 2012

this was my second one week stay at Launce Aux Epines Cottages, A colleague and I from Sydney Australia were working in St Georges for a week, no vacation by any stretch. We took the Kite two bedroom cottage AGAIN. Given the stress of working in Grenada, staying at the cottage almost makes it a pleasure. The laundry service, the helpful staff and David the wonderful taxi driver made everything ok when we were fit to burst of frustration and heat exhaustion. Yes the living room was hot, but it was balmy and lovely outside and the fabulous silky water just right temperature just steps away. Air con to sleep with is what is really important and that they have! The pizza at nearby Prickly Bay Marina is to die for and Darren's Quiz night is great fun!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback! We’re glad to hear that despite having to work, your time here was made more enjoyable by the conveniences afforded you by staying at LAE Cottages. A swim after work and pizza at the nearby Prickly Bay Marina is a combo that can’t be beat!
Working in Grenada often involves an adjustment phase, especially if you are used to a different mode of operation back home. Having a relaxing environment to return to, after a taxing day, is crucial for stress management. We are glad that our staff were able to contribute to the enjoyment of your stay, and make your work week bearable.
Thank you for your repeat business.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from an 8-day stay at the Lance aux Epines Cottages while we visited our daughter. This was my 5th visit to Grenada and the 3rd visit for my wife. It was our first stay at the LAE Cottages.

Overall our stay was positive - the staff was very cordial and helpful, the 1- bedroom apartment (Kestral) that we rented was spotless and the grounds are very well kept. We had a small problem when we arrived at 8pm. The office closes at 4pm and the reservation desk forget to leave our key with the security guard. The guard made a quick phone call and one of the reservation staff arrived within 5 minutes to give us the key. It was a small problem but was quickly solved and we received a very sincere apology for the mixup.

The apartment we rented was well appointed and extremely clean. It had plenty of tables and chairs as well as a well-equipped and spotless kitchen that had a full-size refrigerator and stove. The bathroom was huge and also immaculate. Plenty of towels including large blue beach towels were provided.

The biggest disappointment was how hot it was in the apartment. There are only screens in the living room and kitchen area and this entire large area was serviced only by a single ceiling fan which did little more than circulate the hot air. The bedroom had windows and was air-conditioned. The cottages are right on the water but unfortunately there was not one single night during our stay when a sea breeze came up to cool off the apartment. Most of our evenings after dinner were spent reading in the cool bedroom as it was uncomfortably too hot to sit elsewhere. In their defense, in my 5 visits to Grenada, this trip seemed much hotter than usual, a fact echoed by many of the local I know and spoke to.

While we didn't miss it as much as we initially thought, it would have been nice if the apartment had a TV (in the cool bedroom). There is free wireless networking throughout the property but I had to wait until the morning after our arrival to get the password from the office so I could log on. It would be helpful if the password was provided in the room or provided with the welcome letter I was given. A small problem but one that can easily be remedied.

The Cottages are right on Lance Aux Epines beach, which is a decent beach but not nearly as good for swimming, walking or people watching as Grand Anse beach which is less than a 10 minute car ride. Since we rented a car, most of our beach days were at Grand Anse.

Lance Aux Epines is one of, if not the nicest area around St Georges. Staying in Lance Aux Epines, including at LAE Cottages, though almost requires a car to get around to the supermarket, other businesses, restaurants, beaches and other points of interest. Depending on the local bus system, which are large vans, would be a tough way to get around for more than a day or two. There are some restaurants within walking distance of LAE Cottages, but there are lots of other and better choices that you need to drive or take a taxi to.

All in all, our stay at LAE Cottages was a enjoyable but could have been a LOT more enjoyable if the apartment wasn't so hot all the time. This may have been just an issue caused by abnormally warm weather while we were there compared to all previous visits. All other properties that I have stayed at on Grenada have been fully air-conditioned which, in my opinion, is essential when vacationing in that part of the world.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Steve A
laecottages, Owner at Lance Aux Epines Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Steve,

Thank you for leaving a review for Lance Aux Epines Cottages. Feedback like yours not only helps potential guests make an informed decision but also allows us an opportunity to see where improvements need to be made.

I regret that you had a delay in being checked-in to your apartment. Myself and the receptionist are personally responsible to ensure that the night watchmen is aware of any evening arrivals and that he has the keys. Although I'm glad that you didn't have to wait too long, I am really sorry for this slip-up; at the end of a long day the last thing any traveller needs is additional waiting.

Although the temperature in Grenada doesn't change much throughout the year, September and the months near to this are normally the most uncomfortable due to high humidity and inconsistent or non-existent winds. Our cottages and apartments are an open plan designed to take advantage of the trade-winds and unfortunately this also makes it impractical to air-condition except in the bedroom. Although we can provide additional fans on request, this time of year some will find the heat uncomfortable.

I appreciate your suggestion for TV's in the bedroom. We do have an air-conditioned TV/Game Room but not everyone finds it acceptable to arm-wrestle fellow guests over which channel to watch! :-) On a serious note, although many of our guests say that they don't need TV there are also some who do. The open plan of our units means that the noise from the TV could be a nuisance to your neighbours and we would have to increase our rates to cover the cost of the TV/monthly cable bills. It is something that I will continue to give some thought to; maybe one day.. One option that some of our guests use is their laptop or iPad to watch movies, etc (the WiFi is free of charge).

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions and feedback.

Best regards,