All reviewslae cottagessand barhummingbird cottageprickly bay marinaswallow cottageliving areahome away from homefull kitchenfront officegrand anseself cateringrum punchefficient air conditioningbedroom apartmentlocal disheshired a carhousekeeper
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from an 8-day stay at the Lance aux Epines Cottages while we visited our daughter. This was my 5th visit to Grenada and the 3rd visit for my wife. It was our first stay at the LAE Cottages.

Overall our stay was positive - the staff was very cordial and helpful, the 1- bedroom apartment (Kestral) that we rented was spotless and the grounds are very well kept. We had a small problem when we arrived at 8pm. The office closes at 4pm and the reservation desk forget to leave our key with the security guard. The guard made a quick phone call and one of the reservation staff arrived within 5 minutes to give us the key. It was a small problem but was quickly solved and we received a very sincere apology for the mixup.

The apartment we rented was well appointed and extremely clean. It had plenty of tables and chairs as well as a well-equipped and spotless kitchen that had a full-size refrigerator and stove. The bathroom was huge and also immaculate. Plenty of towels including large blue beach towels were provided.

The biggest disappointment was how hot it was in the apartment. There are only screens in the living room and kitchen area and this entire large area was serviced only by a single ceiling fan which did little more than circulate the hot air. The bedroom had windows and was air-conditioned. The cottages are right on the water but unfortunately there was not one single night during our stay when a sea breeze came up to cool off the apartment. Most of our evenings after dinner were spent reading in the cool bedroom as it was uncomfortably too hot to sit elsewhere. In their defense, in my 5 visits to Grenada, this trip seemed much hotter than usual, a fact echoed by many of the local I know and spoke to.

While we didn't miss it as much as we initially thought, it would have been nice if the apartment had a TV (in the cool bedroom). There is free wireless networking throughout the property but I had to wait until the morning after our arrival to get the password from the office so I could log on. It would be helpful if the password was provided in the room or provided with the welcome letter I was given. A small problem but one that can easily be remedied.

The Cottages are right on Lance Aux Epines beach, which is a decent beach but not nearly as good for swimming, walking or people watching as Grand Anse beach which is less than a 10 minute car ride. Since we rented a car, most of our beach days were at Grand Anse.

Lance Aux Epines is one of, if not the nicest area around St Georges. Staying in Lance Aux Epines, including at LAE Cottages, though almost requires a car to get around to the supermarket, other businesses, restaurants, beaches and other points of interest. Depending on the local bus system, which are large vans, would be a tough way to get around for more than a day or two. There are some restaurants within walking distance of LAE Cottages, but there are lots of other and better choices that you need to drive or take a taxi to.

All in all, our stay at LAE Cottages was a enjoyable but could have been a LOT more enjoyable if the apartment wasn't so hot all the time. This may have been just an issue caused by abnormally warm weather while we were there compared to all previous visits. All other properties that I have stayed at on Grenada have been fully air-conditioned which, in my opinion, is essential when vacationing in that part of the world.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Steve A
laecottages, Owner at Lance Aux Epines Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Steve,

Thank you for leaving a review for Lance Aux Epines Cottages. Feedback like yours not only helps potential guests make an informed decision but also allows us an opportunity to see where improvements need to be made.

I regret that you had a delay in being checked-in to your apartment. Myself and the receptionist are personally responsible to ensure that the night watchmen is aware of any evening arrivals and that he has the keys. Although I'm glad that you didn't have to wait too long, I am really sorry for this slip-up; at the end of a long day the last thing any traveller needs is additional waiting.

Although the temperature in Grenada doesn't change much throughout the year, September and the months near to this are normally the most uncomfortable due to high humidity and inconsistent or non-existent winds. Our cottages and apartments are an open plan designed to take advantage of the trade-winds and unfortunately this also makes it impractical to air-condition except in the bedroom. Although we can provide additional fans on request, this time of year some will find the heat uncomfortable.

I appreciate your suggestion for TV's in the bedroom. We do have an air-conditioned TV/Game Room but not everyone finds it acceptable to arm-wrestle fellow guests over which channel to watch! :-) On a serious note, although many of our guests say that they don't need TV there are also some who do. The open plan of our units means that the noise from the TV could be a nuisance to your neighbours and we would have to increase our rates to cover the cost of the TV/monthly cable bills. It is something that I will continue to give some thought to; maybe one day.. One option that some of our guests use is their laptop or iPad to watch movies, etc (the WiFi is free of charge).

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions and feedback.

Best regards,
-Tim
Timothy Brathwaite, Manager/Owner
Lance Aux Epines Cottages

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I really loved this place. It felt like you were home, without the responsibilities of home. Everyone felt like a neighbor or friend. The small stAff is extremely unobtrusive, yet there when you really need them. I WILL stay there again whenever my next trip to Grenada occurs. I highly recommend this place. Thania, Anne, Tim.... Thanks for a great experience

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We spent a week in Swallow Cottage.The accommodation was spacious and delightful to be in:it allowed us the flexibility to both explore Grenada and also to relax in the beautiful surroundings.As the cottage was a few yards from the sea we could have a swim any time we wanted. The team managing the cottages were at all times helpful from office staff to gracious cleaner Josepha....nothing was too much trouble. The icing on the cake for me was the full body massage they arranged for me in the cottage Thank you Surana.A great end to a wonderful weeks holiday

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Staying at the Lance Aux Epines Cottages was a really good experience for us. The place is very well-kept and even though it isnt luxurious, it has everything you would need for a comfortable stay. Our favourite part was that we almost had the beach to ourselves which was a rarity! We stayed at the Hummingbird Cottage & were more than pleasantly surprised with the size of the cottage as well as the amazing selection of books they had.
We got there on a Saturday afternooon & did not ask for the food hamper that they had on offer which wasnt a very smart thing to do...On Sunday, there really wasnt much open close by for us to walk & get groceries or the likes.
Also, Le Papillion Cafe is a must visit for those visitng Grenada, with excellent food & great service!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is a place that defines what the Caribbean should be. With the quiet beach in a far away place from crowds. Lance Aux Epines is our dream vacation spot. Tim was very helpful to get us situated in the Kestrel apartment with it's nicely appointed kitchen, huge dining room and living room and two very nice bedrooms. We felt right at home and spent a lot of time here reading and relaxing. Outside, the grounds are immaculately kept with a few covered areas to lie out and read. Lance Aux Epines has one of the best beaches in Grenada with kayaks and even a sailboat for use. We tried the kayaks for a few hours and had fun with a workout. The pool was great as it is the Caribbean. You cannot beat that! The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have a BBQ on one night and we sat with them and talked about everything including a fundraiser they were very proud of. We also spent time in the game room playing pool, Foosball and watching TV. The rooms do not have televison and that is as it should be. We understand they tried TVs once but the noise was a problem for the guests since the screened windows remain open.
Meals were the most fun. We walked everywhere, mostly to the Prickly Bay Marina and watched the owner build a band pavilion in the few days we were there. It was nice to watch as we had very nice meals there along with "Prickly" the resident cat.
A hike in the other direction for dinner was the Red Crab restaurant. A little more pricey but well worth it.
One day we decided to hike what we thought was a kilometer away. It turned out to be 8 kilometers since we misread the map. as we hiked in the hot sun, we jokingly referred to it as the "Butan Death March" and enjoyed the adventure walk. Sometimes, the trip is as much fun as the destination. After a little more than an hour, we ended up at the True Blue Bay Restaurant, near St. Georges University. Great food and nice folks as well.

Room Tip: Though they are not really bad, mosquitoes are on the island. Bring your mosquito repellent. We tried the citronella since it smells nice but that did not work well. I suggest DEET.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family