“A touch of paradise”

Mount Hartman Bay Estate
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at Mount Hartman Bay Resort in May for about a week and we will never forget the beautiful location and friendly staff. The hotel, the view, the surroundings, the pool, the room and the island were all amazing.

Our room was located at the top of the hotel with an astonishing view over the bay. At night, we could enjoy a marvelous sky filled with the brightest stars on our private green terrace. It was a very spacious room and had everything we would expect and more from a hotel of this class. Especially the view when waking up was amazing, we slept with our curtains open because it was so beautiful. Given there are only a limited number of rooms and the hotel itself is located in a peaceful neighborhood, it is an ideal spot to relax and explore the rest of the island. The hotel management (two Peter’s and Dean) is a real team and they put in all the effort possible to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We got a lot of tips on places to visit and they even dropped us of at some nice places. Also on a culinary level, Mount Hartman Bay Resort has its merits. Every morning we looked forward to our breakfast. We always received a very warm welcome by Dean, who was so nice and friendly and amused us with his jokes. Breakfast was overwhelming with many fresh fruits coming straight from their own tropical garden. You should definitely try Dean’s pancakes! Even if you do not stay in the resort, the restaurant is one of the finest around on “spice island” and offers the Grenadian cuisine with an international and luxurious twist.

At the resort you can relax at the magnificent infinity pool or explore the bay by kayak. Scuba gear is available and everybody around is very helpful to let you explore Grenada in the way you would like it. The island of Grenada itself is a true paradise. There are some of the most beautiful & quiet beaches we have ever visited. The proximity of the jungle however makes the island really unique. You can visit rainforests and waterfalls in the morning while relaxing on a deserted beach in the afternoon. We got soaked when visiting the rainforest but the refreshment was more than welcome given the hot temperatures at that time. The local people are very friendly and are always in for a good party/BBQ. The Aquarium was one of our favorite spots on the island to eat and enjoy a sunset. The restaurant/bar in the local marina of Lance aux Epines (at walking distance from the hotel) is also a lovely place to visit. The live music and cocktails create a first-rate atmosphere between locals and tourists here.

To conclude: We came to the Caribbean to have a touch of paradise and we completely found our paradise at Mount Hartman Bay Resort and in Grenada. It is a wonderful island to visit and the best hotel to stay in. We were really treated like royals and this will be a hotel we will never forget. Hopefully will visit it again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karolien H
Peter H, General Manager at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you have given us and I am delighted that you have enoyed your stay with us.
The Team at Mount Hartman Bay Estate is looking forward to welcome you again in near future and to continue to serve you our pancakes and our mouthwatering dishes.
As our promise to you and all our guests, we will continue to provide the highest possible level of service and we do appreciate all your feedback.
Thank you once again till you will return to Mount Hartman Bay Estate, I wish you all the best.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

It is hard to even begin to describe this one-of-a-kind place in a coherent narrative, so I'l begin by describing a typical moment at 6 pm. I'm lightly sunburned after a day at the beach, and just changed into dinner clothes. I open the door of my room and step out onto a huge deck on top of the estate roof, with a 240 degree view of the bay, and the sailboats below. The sun is just starting to set, the birds are singing, the tree frogs are chirping, there is a light breeze, and the air smells of flowers and spice. No traffic noise. No other human in sight. I sit down on one of the patio chairs to take in the view, and the cell phone (included with the room) chirps. I answer it to hear the voice of Dean, the exquisite Maitre' D. He tells me he heard that we had returned, and thought we might like our usual before dinner drinks about now. Yep, he knew before we did, and just as my wife joined me on the deck, Dean appears with our drinks, and also tells us what the Chef is planning to cook for our dinner to "make sure it's all ok". Yes, it's ok. It's more than ok. It's perfect. It's more than perfect.

In a world of mass production and mass marketing and standardized travel "products", it is a welcome surprise when I encounter a unique experience. Mount Hartman Bay estate is a one-of-a-kind property- nothing like this place will ever exist anywhere else. As I spent time here and noticed all the details of the buildings and grounds, I saw more and more. And it's genius, in that inspired, location-specific way. There are stories attached to every part of this, but you'll have to let them unfold when you are there.

That's the way to enjoy Mount Hartman Bay Estate- to let it unfold. Grenada is a true Caribbean Island in all senses, and that comes with a certain laid-back air that does extend even to the high-end of MHBE. But that's just how it should be, a departure from the robotic American service style that is all about "features" and gimmicks. At Mount Hartman Bay Estate, the staff operates at a consistently high standard - even when (actually, for the bulk of our stay) we were the only guests. The service is detailed, smooth, and elegant and genuine-- but never obtrusive. They know just the time to allow private conversation, and just the time to add a personal touch, or have a nice conversation. Every single person I encountered was nothing but friendly and kind. I'm remembering Dean's detail - always presenting the plates "just right" and adjusting the Wedgewood settings. Then Suzanne's beautiful smile comes to mind, and our long conversations about practically everything. The soft-spoken Cheryl. The Austrian Peter who kept it all running with precision. The oh-not-so-scary "bad dog" guard dog in her matching Gaudi-esque dog house. And of course, the Welshman, who is the heart and soul of the place. It all comes together and works.

We dined at the restaurant almost every evening, and it was a excellent every night, without fail. We especially enjoyed letting the chef cook his specialties using the best ingredients on hand. One evening Trevor prepared a Caribbean dinner-- I can still taste the Callaloo Crab soup.

One evening a tragedy happened that required the kitchen to close for the night. In typical first-class fashion, they seamlessly planned a dinner at a nearby restaurant, and dropped us off and picked us up and covered all costs.

In any review, I guess there should be cons as well as pros, and it's truly hard to think of any, as it fit us so well. I guess the only thing that seemed a little out of place of the overall high-level was regarding the included breakfast. When you get there, you see that only "continental" breakfast is included with the room- and anything more has a "surcharge". To me, it seems like Grenada is a long way from the "continent"-- I've been at many places less fabulous than MHBE in the Caribbean that don't do that. It's a small thing, and wasn't really an issue, but maybe worth a mention.

The only other "con"-- and again, hardly a con, is to note that the waterfront on the property isn't the easiest to swim from. We snorkeled several times, but had to crawl out on rocks and enter from there. But it's still the Caribbean, and still stunning. For the full beach experience, you can get a cab for EC$40, or walk to get a bus for EC$2.50 (Easier than it sounds, just ask Dean) to Grand Anse. You'll probably always want a cab back because the hills are STEEP and it's HOT. Cabs in Grenada are notably more expensive than other Eastern Caribbean Islands, even though the rest of Grenada isn't particularly more expensive. Also maybe to note that a lot of the watersports equipment you may see mentioned on sites renting the estate as a villa is not currently available (charter yacht is not operational; the Seadoo boat, not working, etc.) I'm sure if I wanted, they would have arranged alternatives-- but I was happy to just enjoy living in a villa of rockstar dreams.

The room? Amazing. Custom. Stunning. Until you've woken up in a massive bed custom built into the wall and ceiling, with a sunrise overlooking a bay and nature reserve that's in a room with Biedermeier furniture on top of a Cave-shaped villa built into a hill, well, you haven't been to Mount Hartmann Bay yet.

I'm already planning to go back, so please book your visit in any week except the last week of April. We kind of got used to having the place to ourselves ;-)

Room Tip: They are all great, and each room has small differences that make it unique.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TLTLTL67
Peter H, General Manager at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

I really do not know, how to respond to such a special and wonderful review. Thank you so much for all your kind words and thank you so much for understanding Mount Hartman Bay as a Hotel and during our short crisis in the kitchen.
It was the greatest pleasure having you as our guests and we look forward to welcome you soon again at our property.
Regarding the Breakfast, I take it on board and will make changes accordingly.
I have printed your review and given a copy to Dean and Cheriel and Susan, just to show them how much you have appreciated them, thank you again.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next holiday arrangements.
With our best wishes from
the Team of Mount Hartman Bay Estate.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This property is in a wonderful location. Only a five minute drive from the airport (and you get free transfers), it overlooks a beautiful quiet bay. We only stayed here for one night, and we were the only couple here. During the day we had the infinity pool to ourselves. Although isolated here there are things to do nearby - we played nine holes at the rather ramshackle golf course which was fun. We got a taxi there and back which cost 80ECD in total.

Peter and Dean were both very helpful and easy to talk to. I'm generally not looking to meet and chat to other people when on a romantic trip away but it was too easy and fun with these guys, we really enjoyed their company.

We had the all inclusive option and the food here was great. Definitely try the callaloo soup for starter, it is delicious! I am gluten free and the chef was knowledgable about this, and everyone was helpful in answering any questions I had. The dining room is brilliantly designed.

We stayed in the reef view room which was lovely, it has a good side window view over the bay and reef. I found the bathroom a little worn, I think this is because the water from the shower goes all over the floor. My only complaint about this place was the shower - you didn't seem to be able to change the temperature or pressure. There wasn't a great deal of pressure and the water was very hot, so I struggled to put my whole body in when showering! We didn't mention this to Peter or Dean as we were there only one night, so I apologise that I didn't give them a chance to rectify this, or if I missed a switch which would have changed the temp/pressure!

Overall, this place is great for a romantic trip if you want to have peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings. We hope to go back there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Piggsy82
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I don't know where to start--from the gorgeous grass-roofed building to the equally gorgeous setting over Mount Hartman Bay to the fantastic people on staff and outstanding restaurant- everything added up to one of the best vacations I've had.
At first I thought I might feel too isloated as I was the only guest my first night. Immediately I was made to feel welcomed and well looked after. I had dinner in the restaurant several times and I can't say enough good things about Roger the chef. The food was exquisite.
The property is just breathtaking. I stayed in one of the top rooms which was very private with great views. I was awakened every morning by a beautiful sunrise.
And the staff was the icing on the cake. Peter, Peter and Dean and everyone else really looked after me. Everyone was so professional. They really have something special going on there. I'm very much looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Valerie77
Peter H, General Manager at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Dear Valerie,
it was a great pleasure of having you at Mount Hartman and we are delighted that you had a fantastic time. We all look forward for your return within this year. I hope that all your plans work out accordingly.
Thank you too, for recommending a lovely couple from New York, who stayed with us for a week.
All the best, till you come again, from the Team at Mount Hartman Bay Estate

Reviewed January 28, 2012

What a gorgeous, super-cool place! It really is like a scene out of a James Bond movie. We went for dinner and were the only couple there, so the staff showed us around the property and even gave us a tour of one of the suites.
I had looked at staying here, but was afraid it would be too small and so we went with Spice Island Resort. We enjoyed our stay there, but if we return, there is no doubt, we will stay at Mount Hartman Bay Estate. It is first class!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TwiggyCB
Peter H, General Manager at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Dear Twiggy,

thank you so much for your lovely review and I am sorry that we did not have the chance to have you as our guest during your stay in Grenada. I am looking forward to your return trip and to welcome you not only as a Dinner guest, but as our House guest as well.
With thanks from the Team at Mount Hartman Bay Estate.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

This private house, turned hotel, provided the most spectacular holiday ever. the rooms are all glorious, with views that made us want to stay in all day. the staff are not only exceptional from a professional point of view, but really extraordinary people. Dean, Suzanne and Peter are the shining stars, but i did not deal with anyone who was not lovely. the restaurant offered genuine fine dining. and dont forget to arrange a massage with Christine!

my husband celebrated his birthday while we were there, and the manager, Paul, teamed up with the chef to cook a special dinner with all of his favorite foods, as well as finding us an extraordinary bottle of wine. Peter helped me choose a present and everyone on the staff signed a card. this was just one tiny example of how well we were treated.

Granada itself is wonderful. safe, friendly, amazing beaches, fun live music on the beach in the evening.

i would not recommend this hotel to people with mobility issues or with very small children. for everyone else, this is the hotel of your dreams.

Room Tip: i actually got a chance to see all of the rooms and every single one is amazing. the two upper room...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cathykb
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at Mount Hartman Bay Estate Beach House for 10 days in Feb this year with my wife, two children & their partners. Wow ... I have to say, from the minute we were collected from the airport....to the time we were dropped back we had a most magical experience. The wow factor really started when we set eyes on our massive beach house with enormous rooms & private pool & beach. The 24hr service was second to none as was the daily menus and fabulous food & wines.Some of the best food we have ever had, every meal was a gastronomic experience. We had our own chef,maitre di,driver & maids. Nothing was too much trouble. I had wanted to find 'something special' for me & my family & The Beach House was certainly it ! From their boat trips,the island tours & the shopping experiences (for the girls) to the friendliness & helpfulness of the staff. I have stayed at various 5star locations around the world (One & Only's, Four Seasons, Sandals ). Everything that was on the label was in the tin. Can't wait for a return trip. It was amazing !!!!

Room Tip: All Rooms Excellent
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse

Been to Mount Hartman Bay Estate? Share your experiences!