We stayed on a Travelzoo overnight package, and on arrival parked in the spacious rear car park before making our way round to the front door and into Reception and the bar area. We were warmly welcomed by a charming and efficient young lady, who showed us out through the conservatory to our room (which was back next to the car park) in a newish single-storey building. Tip: you can go into the hotel through the conservatory - no need to walk round to the front! The Case is on the busy A134, but thankfully the rooms are tucked away behind the main building and at night there was no disturbance from traffic noise whatsoever.
The room was slightly small but beautifully furnished, and both the bedroom and the lovely bathroom were spotlessly-clean. Everything you could think of had been provided for your comfort and enjoyment, from facecloths, shoe-cleaner, toiletries, tissues & cotton-wool pads in the bathroom to the best refreshment tray I have ever seen. Home-made cookies, a cafetière with a choice of regular or decaffinated filter coffee, Nescafé, hot chocolate, tea and fresh milk in a small Thermos flask - magic after a long journey. A large flat-screen tv and free wi-fi were provided.
Our voucher included for dinner a starter and a main course plus a glass of wine per person, and we sat in the bar with a drink while perusing the dishes on offer. The selection is small but carefully thought out, and is complemented by a specials board featuring fish (on the day we were there). We placed our order and our first courses duly arrived. Both were delicious, but my husband felt his portion was on the small side. The main courses were ample and beautifully cooked, although we had to wait quite a long while for them considering there were only a handful of other diners that night. My husband ordered a dessert, which he said was delicious.
We had a comfortable nights sleep, and the next morning headed for the conservatory, where breakfast is served between 8.30 and 9.30am only, which on a weekday morning might be a hindrance if you have a busy day ahead. We both opted for the full English breakfast, and have to say it was amongst the best we have ever eaten. Freshly-prepared from carefully selected ingredients, it was truly delicious, and accompanied by toast, orange juice, tea or coffee.
All in all, our stay was most enjoyable and good value thanks to the TravelZoo voucher offer. However the restaurant prices were rather steep, and we don't think they represented good value unless you were on a special deal. We also have to agree with another reviewer that the informal attitude of the older lady (presumably the owner?) didn't sit too well with us. We are not snobs, but my husband has a thing about being called "Love" by anyone to whom he has no affectionate connection - it hints at a lack of professionalism and it contrasted unfavourably with the service we had received on arrival from (presumably) young members of staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A restaurant with rooms where personal service and customer satisfaction is all important. Situated in rural Suffolk with views over ajoining farmland we offer luxurious well presented rooms with many included extras alongside our, twenty year established restaurant, serving traditional and imaganitive dishes. A family business where little things mean a lot. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and Hotels.com so you can book your The Case Restaurant with Rooms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Case Restaurant With Rooms Hotel Sudbury
- The Case Restaurant With Rooms Sudbury, Suffolk