“Extremely Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Blaze Grill - CLOSED

Blaze Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Extremely Disappointing”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

After being recommended this restaurant for my birthday meal we were left extremely disappointed. We were seated downstairs which was completely empty other then our party so we were surprised when we were informed that there were no burgers available. We found this surprising for a "grill" and on a Friday night. Four of our party ordered the steak and asked for it to be cooked "well done" and were surprised when the waitress again came to our table and delivered five of our meals before telling us that there were so "triple cooked chips" left so the last meal would have to have French fries, which of course were nothing special probably just from a packet from the freezer. The triple cooked chips were rock hard and not very nice either. When the last meal finally arrived the well done steak was still under cooked and very red in the centre and had to be sent back. Even after the chef cooked it for longer it was still not cooked through and still extremely red in the middle. Another of the party's well done steak was cooked on the outer but completely undercooked and red and bloody on the inside. By this time we were too embarrassed to send the food back again so it went largely uneaten. The main courses were extremely disappointing and in our opinion overpriced and badly cooked. Not good for a relatively new restaurant in a small town. We will not be eating there again or recommending to our friends or family.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Weekel2709

haverhill
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Me and my girlfriend ate here on Sunday for the first time. First impressions were very good with the restaurant looking fresh and new. I ate from the a la carte menu and my girlfriend had 2 courses from the set menu.
My starter was from the special board and was king prawns with alioli dip and salad with capers. This was delicious.
For our mains my girlfriend had the slow cooked belly of pork with mustard mash and curly kale and I had the rib eye steak. Both were cooked excellently and tasted great, the triple cooked chips which were served as a stack were the best chips ever!! We both sampled each others meals and thought they were very tasty.
For dessert my girlfriend had panna cotta with a homemade biscuit and I had chocolate torte with Italian meringue on top. These were the best desserts we have had in a long time!
We couldn't understand why we were the only customers in there for the duration of the meal, this place is amazing and we will definitely be returning with others soon!

• Visited September 2013
Colchester
“Excellent meal, deserves to do well...”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I visited Blaze not knowing what to expect but we needn't have worried. The staff were very welcoming and let us choose our table, as it was quite busy downstairs we decided to eat upstairs. The menu is concise but I quite like this as it means that the dishes have been well practiced.
We shared a scallop and black pudding starter which was excellent, the scallops were the biggest I have ever seen and were cooked to perfection, certainly not dry and rubbery. My wife had rare rib eye steak which was superb, I had the confit of duck leg which fell off the bone but was still succulent. I must also commend the triple cooked chips, absolutely stunning! The star of the meal for me however was the pudding, a chocolate torte with soft meringue peaks on top with a wonderful oaty base, quite simply stunning.
I really hope that Blaze does well, it is good to have a local restaurant offering simple well cooked fare

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Above expectation”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Absolutely fantastic meal. I had the monkfish and it was cooked to perfection. For desert it was lemon tart and raspberry soufflé and the soufflé, again, was perfect. Highly recommend this place

• Visited August 2013
Sudbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor handling of customer complaint”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very friendly, helpful staff sadly let down by management. Asked for medium steak but it was delivered rare. When pointed out to manager I was told "this is how we cook medium!" This is fair enough but if their definition of medium is different from standard (and I have researched this) then they should make customers aware! Needless to say we will not return.

• Visited August 2013