“Stunning View of History”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rhuddlan Castle

Rhuddlan Castle
Book In Advance
$1,304.16*
and up
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Rhuddlan
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Stunning View of History”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was the second castle my Welshman took me to...and it was lovely; the broken but still not subdued bits of castle wall provided such drama as it cast across the clarity of sky. It was exceptionally windy that day but nothing took away from the beauty and seemed as though the castle were only waiting, still breathing, still very much alive and only pressing upon history for gentle reminder of its once grand place. A wonderful afternoon, exploring the interior, deviniing where wooden floors met joists, imagining what it must have been like to have lived there, during the most grandiose moments. This castle will never be humble, and the way it's been cared for is amazing! Highly recommend anyone who would like a glance into the heart of Wales gone by to visit this castle.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank cariaddimondti

Maryport, United Kingdom
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Very Historic”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

An interesting little - its certainly not large - but... if you care to read up on its history, quite pivotal in English Welsh history.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank no1pinkpanther
Cannock
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice Ruined Castle”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Rhuddlan Castle: We arrived at the Premier Inn late afternoon. We had dinner at Table Table at 6pm and left around 7.30pm to take a walk to the nearby ruins of Rhuddlan Castle. The castle is accessed across the busy Station Road and at that time in the evening was of course closed. Opening times are 10am – 5pm, but you can still get a good view from the entrance on Castle Street. The castle entrance is gated and locked but it would be very easy to climb over the fence and gain entry. Although we did not attempt this, a group of teenage girls had climbed over the fence and were making their way across the moat bridge before disappearing behind the castle walls. I took three or four photos of the castle with my compact camera from the road side fence, the low light causing the flash to fire on the first two, I then disabled the flash as the castle was at least 300 metres away making it useless. I then became aware that there were a group of approx. five or six ‘youths’ inside the castle who had spotted the camera flash. Even though they were quite a distance away, this seemed to have irritated them (probably because they should not be there?) and they climbed out of a ruined window to put on a display of aggression and proceeded to punch and kick each other and generally roll around on the ground like a playful pride of lions. One of them took it on himself to march and jog in a brisk purposeful manner towards the entrance where we were standing, making it clear it was me he wanted to have word with! This took him a while as he had to cross the moat bridge before climbing over the inner car park fence. By this time we had seen all we wanted and had started to walk away. I then heard a voice behind me shouting, ‘what are you taking photos of’. I turned around and through a few sparse trees could see the youth, aged around 19, was clutching at the car park fence and glaring at me in a very agitated way. He repeated the question and I couldn’t help thinking he was a total idiot, so I totally ignored him although my son was now spooked by the encounter, we carried on with a steady walk back to the hotel. Had this idiot been on his own, then he would never have given this appalling display of misplaced aggression. This was a perfect example of the pack instinct we see so often in our towns and cities, what a shame. So my advice is only visit the castle during official opening times as the locals are very territorial and do not appreciate tourists.

Visited September 2012
Lancashire
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Interesting for a short visit”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We visited here after purchasing a CADW explorer pass (great value at £28 for a family of 4 for visiting as many CADW properties as you want on 3 different days over a 7 day period). It was a relatively short visit as not too much to see but it was very interesting to compare the different designs of castle having seen several others built in the same era. Spent about half an hour looking around - small gift shop and toilet facility on the way in.

Visited August 2012