“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Summer Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dalwood
Ranked #2 of 2 Dalwood B&B and Inns
Sileby, United Kingdom
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Thank you so much for accommodating us at such short notice.
Heaven on Earth does not even go half way to describing this delightful Bed and Breakfast. Set in the best part of Britain, if you have never been to East Devon, you are truly missing out.
Summer Lodge is set just outside of Dalwood near Axminster; the views of the spectacular countryside cannot be rivalled anywhere in the world. A short car journey will take you to the beautiful coastal towns of Lyme Regis, Seaton and Beer, along with many other beaches, coves etc.
Tim and Adie are wonderful hosts, and nothing is too much trouble for them, we only stayed one night but they went out of their way to make sure that we had a wonderful experience with them.
Breakfast was wonderful, full English freshly cooked followed cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit; tea and coffee came in copious amounts and a variety of toast, croissants with preserves and of course real butter!
Don't miss this bed and breakfast, we will be returning as soon as we can for a repeat relaxing and pampered experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Balcony room, so spacious with a King Size bed, sofa, flat screen TV and wonderful...
1 Thank Carole P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is the best guest house we have ever stayed in! It is quiet, in a beautiful location in the middle of the countryside with the most breathtaking views. The rooms are palacial, immaculately clean and the breakfast is freshly cooked and plenty of it. Tim and his wife Ady are superb hosts and go that extra mile to ensure everything is just perfect. I would reccomend this guest house to anyone visitng the West Country as it is near to Lyme Regis, Beer, Seaton as well as other sea side resorts and Honiton and Axminster have some lovely shops. We will definitley be going back again!

Room Tip: The Balcony Room is massive and has the most beautiful decor and view.
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Truly lovely B&B.... Our room was bright and airy, a novelty bathroom, bed was really really comfortable, delightful hosts, cooked breakfast that was hot and fruit that was fresh. Tim really knows the area and if he recommends something then it's worth listening too.... Seatown, The Tuckers Arms..... Thank you Tim and Ady for making my birthday weekend special :-)

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Approximately 2 months in advance of a wedding I was attending in the area, Summer Lodge was listed as the nearest B&B to the venue, so I checked the website and everything looked very inviting, as were the room rates! After making enquiries by email and receiving speedy replies from Tim, booking over the phone was simple and easy.

Upon arrival, the splendid stonewalled Summer Lodge stood proudly in front of me, I was amazed at how beautiful it was. Immediately the front door opened and Tim came out to greet me and help me with my luggage. As soon as you walk through the front door of the main house, the breakfast room is right in front of you (hard to miss!) as are the stairs leading to the bedrooms on the first floor. The decor was very cosy with a modern twist; I made sure to compliment Tim on this!!

As a solo guest, I stayed in the Dovecote Room*, which was bright and airy, with 2 sets of windows (3 including the bathroom) and thick curtains to keep out the heat and sun rays; Tim advised that I close the windows during the day to keep the flies out, which was expert advice!! The bed was very comfortable to sleep in and the sheets were spotless. There was lots of room to put your things, namely in the two wall cupboards which allow both hanging and folding space. Having an easy accessible ensuite bathoom was a neat addition, along with the useful extras (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, cotton pads - had I known, I wouldn't have brought my own!). It was also refreshing to have the option of having a bath or a shower, and had the weather been cooler I might've had a bath! On the whole, the room was hygienic and pleasant, I had no issues whatsoever.
*The room gets its name from the Dovecote which you can see from the window facing the fields at the back.

Breakfast each morning was delicious (a selection of fresh fruit & berries, along with mini boxed cereals and the option of a fried breakfast too - kudos to Tim!), and conversations with the other guests was enjoyable as well. On the second morning, Tim even came to join us for a cup of tea which was a nice surprise; I felt like more like a friend staying than a guest visiting.

As I was only in Axminster for a wedding, I did not have much of a chance to explore the area or nearby towns; however, a couple also staying at Summer Lodge did ask Tim for recommended places to visit, eat and drink. Tim was very informative and also offered to book an evening table for them at a popular pub which was very kind.

The location of the B&B is a little tricky to get to if you don't have a car (like myself) but there are several taxi companies in the area; I recommend that you book ahead if possible! Also, shortly after my arrival Tim was very generous and drove me to my next destination (which was close by).

To sum up, everything about this B&B is wonderful, Tim & Ady have done a spectacular job, and I would definitely stay there again. I imagine it is as cosy and welcoming in winter as it is in summer!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night due to a friends wedding in the area. Tim made a great breakfast was very welcoming, also very generous giving us a lift to the reception just down the road. We stayed in the annexe which was a great room really spacious and very comfortable bed! Would definitely recommend.

1 Thank pauric-sarah
Appledore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

As there were 3 of us we had the annexe (the music room) which was extremely spacious, comfortable, clean and had an amazing shower!!! I cannot give enough thanks to Tim and Ady who made us feel so welcome and we were treated more as friends than guests. The setting is amazing and the gardens stunning. Very highly recommended and we hope to visit again soon. Rose, Ian and Nicky

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rose T
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

A very nice and welcoming B&B. We were 'upgraded' to the music room which is more like your own hotel room. Tim and Ady were excellent hosts and very helpful with lots of hints and tips about where to go and what to do, where to eat etc. (before and while we stayed there). The B&B is situated on a quite country lane within walking distance of the local pub the Tuckers Arms and the lovely village of Dalwood. Great breakfast. We hope to revisit soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 318ise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalwood
#1 of 2 in Evershot
Andrewshayes Holiday Park

Been to Summer Lodge? Share your experiences!