“Brilliant hotel in a lovely town”
Review of The Unicorn

and 1 more site!
The Unicorn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant hotel in a lovely town”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We visited Lightwater Valley theme park on 26.07.12 and decided we would book a hotel to stay in for the night.

Ripon is close by and we booked The Unicorn on Late Rooms.

The lady on reception was very friendly advising telling us of attractions nearby.

We are a family of four with kids aged 8 & 10 and we got a family room which was neatly presented and a very good size. The decor was lovely and has been refurbed recently.

The hotel is attached to a Wetherspoons pub and we heard no pub noise when in our room.

The carpark was full when we visited but you can park on Sainsburys located at the rear of the hotel for free (1800 - 0800).

Ripon really is a lovely place to visit and I would strongly reccomend a visit to the Prima Itallian Restraunt just round the corner from the hotel.

I will definately be visiting Ripon again and hope I get a room at this hotel.

Go down to the pub in the morning for a excellent reasonably priced breakfast that will sort you out for the day.

Room Tip: Would say all rooms will be great. If with kids ask for a family room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was the first time I've tried a Wetherspoon's Hotel and it certainly won't be my last. It was excellent. The staff were really friendly and the accommodation was first class. It ranks much higher than other similar hotels I've stayed at; is much cheaper and has much better facilities than you would expect. Spot on.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank s7oney
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed for a short break earlier this year. The hotel was beautifully clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel car park was full all the time so we had to use Sainsbury's car park, which is very close to hand and not over priced. Breakfast is excellent value and the traditional breakfast is just the right size to set you up for the day. Although the pub area was quite noisy this did not travel to the guest bedrooms so a good quiet two nights were had after a few drinks in the bar with guest beers and house beer all at the best price I have found anywhere. We had decided to try a Wetherspoon Hotal as we regularly use other Wetherspoon pubs for breakfast on days out that are more local to us and all their properties that we have visited have always been really clean and well maintained. The Unicorn kept to these high standards and we would definitely go again and quite likely use other Wetherspoon Hotels in other towns and cities. We also had two good days out visiting local attractions, especially Fountains Abbey and the gardens there and also the phenomenom of Brinham Rocks nearby, which really need to be seen to be believed, just how do the formations not fall over.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Booked a 1 night stay in a family room. Great value and great location. Will definately stay again. Room was very clean and nicely decorated. Good food and drinks downstairs. Reasonably priced parking in the Sainsbury car park.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tloandtbri
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner often visit the unicorn for breakfast/lunch.food is always very,atmosphere is relaxed and the whole place is very clean.I've visited many wetherspoons before but this one is the best yet.

• Stayed July 2012
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here many, many years ago and thought I'd take the opportunity of giving it another try whilst visiting family.
I stayed at the Unicorn on the 15th July for a single night, I knew what to expect as I'd used the adjoining Wetherspoon's pub frequently on previous visits.
So here's my review in brief;
+ Parking: Not great if you want the hotels free spaces, but there is a huge Pay & Display a very short walk away
+ Room: We were up in the gods, and as there is no lift and steep, narrow stairs, it proved a challenge getting our luggage up to room 304 - and down again I might add (and not a porter to be seen!!)
+ Public areas: Shared with the pub - both are run by Wetherspoon's, and to be honest the Unicorn is one of the nicest Wetherspoon bars I've been in with a wide cross section of people and a good cellar.
+ Food: Cheap and cheerful, but nevertheless good quality. I'll forgive the staff for selling me a curry & naan with out the naan, and bringing me the wrong Caesar salad - simply because it was dealt with so quickly
+ Would I stay there again? Probably not! But I'll defintely be drinking/eating there again - Theakston's Old Peculier at £2.15 per pint!!

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor if you don't want to cart your baggage up the hotel equivalent of Mount Ever...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kendal
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed one night this week, and really enjoyed it. Great location and very helpful friendly staff. Food also a pleasant surprise - really good steak, and amazing value for money! I was a wether spoons snob, but no longer! I beds really comfortable, immaculate sheets and room. Parking a bit of a pain, but worth the effort anyway. Will definitely try another in this chain. Most impressed.

Room Tip: Our room was on front but 3rd floor and no lift in hotel, so be warned that you need to be fit enoug...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,233 reviews
The Ship Inn
The Ship Inn
#12 of 19 in Ripon

Been to The Unicorn? Share your experiences!