“Delicious”
Review of Lockwoods

Lockwoods
Ranked #3 of 87 Restaurants in Ripon
Cuisines: European, Italian, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: WINNER OR THE GOOD FOOD GUIDE'S BEST RESTAURANT IN THE NORTH EAST 2016 Located in the cathedral city of Ripon, Lockwoods provides a relaxed place to enjoy brunch, lunch or dinner. We're about classic, seasonal cooking and our modern European menu focuses on flavour not geography, but always maintains a strong nod towards our Yorkshire roots. We use the best seasonal produce that we can find and source much of our produce locally, particularly in the summer months, when we use the heritage garden 200 yards from our front door. We also have a wide range of local and European beers and a great wine list (currently 25 bins). We have received many accolades for our food, service and atmosphere, including "No 1 Family Run Restaurant in the UK" by The Times, recommended by The Independent, nominated for "Best Neighbourhood Restaurant" by Yorkshire Life, recognised in the Observer Food Awards, and listed in the Which Good Food Guides. We're a family run restaurant that has been established for over 10 years and happy to cater for groups, families, children, vegans, vegetarians.... and everyone in between. Put simply, we're a place that you'll want to come back to time and time again. AND IF IT'S NOT ON THE MENU - JUST ASK. Open Tuesday to Sunday Great value early bird menu 6-7 pm. Regular special events such as Call my Bluff Wine evening, Live jazz or our very popular tapas evening. Menus available for Children, Vegetarians and other dietary requirements, or just ask us and we'll cook it! Full disabled access throughout.
“Delicious”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We had a superb three course dinner- for a bargain price as we managed to be seated just before 19.00. Delicious adventurous food with charming waiting staff. Excellent venue before a film at the Curzon. Think it is necessary to book ahead.

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Just the Job”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Tired from a long business day and away from home, the hotel recommended this restaurant which I hardly had the energy to walk to. It was fairly busy and I was happily put in a window table. All I wanted was a light meal and one delicious glass of white wine. The waiter recommended a superb one, but there were no light meals on the menu: I was persuaded to go for the salmon which was on the specials blackboard. It was absolutely delicious, and huge, and cooked in the most delicious sauce. The waiters were attentive and I was almost persuaded to have a pudding as they were most insistent, but I would have popped. Thank you Lockwoods for a great meal and for rounding off my day so beautifully.

• Visited May 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Strolling the streets of Ripon looking for a place to eat was not looking good until we came across Lockwoods, a few yards off the main Market Square. It may not be the prettiest restaurant but the food was exceptional. The starter of Black Pudding with crunchy egg ( you have to see it!) was brilliant. Mains very good. Deserts were perhaps the highpoint - great presentation and taste. The wine list is varied enough for most and not over-priced. I now have to find excuses to make the 300 mile round trip again!

notting hill
“lovely food friendly staff average service”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

The food was delicious, the wine was good, good value. Friendly staff, but we had to wait a while to get our wine and starter and it wasnt that busy!!!!

Peterlee, County Durham
“Pleasant and friendly”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Had to visit Ripon unexpectedly one evening. Was told about Lockwoods by a friend in this part of the country so paid them a visit.
Early impression was one of rather out of date and in need of a refurbishment to be honest. The seating had seen better days for certain.
However we were shown a table by a window and we're given every attention from that moment on.
The waiter was Italian or some-such and was proficient and friendly to us.
The menu had lots of choice and the prices were respectable too.

The drinks were served up in no time, and he even didn't put the 2nd drink on his bill.
The starter for me was goats cheese balls with a salad and I loved them although could have done with a couple more.
Cod for my wife as main meal and it was beautiful. Moist and flaky. Not the dreaded impersonation stuff from Vietnam.
I had a burger of large dimensions and it was perfect. It wasn't at all grisly, it had just the right amount of fries with it and the side salad was fine.
My wife then had a choclate pudding thing and loved it too.

All in all it's a place I would come to again if I ever found myself in this part of the world. However if I was to organsise a special occasion night out I would leave it alone as the building itself wasn't at all impressive.
Value for money on a scale of 1 to 10 I would put this at 8. For customer attention I would give them 9.

• Visited April 2014