Lockwoods
Ranked #2 of 92 Restaurants in Ripon
Cuisines: European, Italian, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: WINNER OR THE GOOD FOOD GUIDE'S BEST RESTAURANT IN THE NORTH EAST 2016 Located in the cathedral city of Ripon, Lockwoods provides a relaxed place to enjoy brunch, lunch or dinner. We're about classic, seasonal cooking and our modern European menu focuses on flavour not geography, but always maintains a strong nod towards our Yorkshire roots. We use the best seasonal produce that we can find and source much of our produce locally, particularly in the summer months, when we use the heritage garden 200 yards from our front door. We also have a wide range of local and European beers and a great wine list (currently 25 bins). We have received many accolades for our food, service and atmosphere, including "No 1 Family Run Restaurant in the UK" by The Times, recommended by The Independent, nominated for "Best Neighbourhood Restaurant" by Yorkshire Life, recognised in the Observer Food Awards, and listed in the Which Good Food Guides. We're a family run restaurant that has been established for over 10 years and happy to cater for groups, families, children, vegans, vegetarians.... and everyone in between. Put simply, we're a place that you'll want to come back to time and time again. AND IF IT'S NOT ON THE MENU - JUST ASK. Open Tuesday to Sunday Great value early bird menu 6-7 pm. Regular special events such as Call my Bluff Wine evening, Live jazz or our very popular tapas evening. Menus available for Children, Vegetarians and other dietary requirements, or just ask us and we'll cook it! Full disabled access throughout.
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Brilliant!.Had the most gorgeous lunch we were made to feel very welcome and all our needs were dealt wit promptly and we both thought it was good value for money.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Recommended for a family gathering by a colleague of one of the attending family, this city centre restaurant, did not look particularly promising when spotted from the car as we looked for parking (plenty available with in 150M). But impressions improved when we walked in, the staff were welcoming and helpful and the food being served to customers already seated looked very tempting. As it was a Sunday I opted for the roast Beef and Yorky which came with a mix of roast Veg and Leeks in a cheese sauce all of which were cooked to perfection. This was followed by a very good Banana sticky toffee pudding served with a lovely cinnamon ice cream (not sure that the two were the best combination, though both were individually very tasty). Overall I would rate this as one of the nicest Sunday Lunches I have had in quite a while, the Beef in particular being exceptionally good. At approx £20 a head inc soft drinks and coffees I also though the price was very reasonable. Even though we live 70 miles away I can see us using this restaurant as a family meeting point on a regular basis.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Having originally been out off Lockwoods by hearing that it was expensive I finally decided to give it a go and was very pleasantly surprised by the price. I have yet to find anywhere else locally that offers the same at a competitive price. 3 course dinner for 2 with a nice bottle of wine, and a glass each of dessert wine, for around £70. The next closest I have found in the area is £20 more. Looking at recent reviews I find that someone else was not thrilled by the Moroccan stew, maybe a spice was missing? Personally I didn't think the banana sticky toffee pudding worked as well as was hoped. I would have preffered fresh banana instead of caramelised, but it's nice to see new things being tried in ripon. Im also led to believe the menu changes fairly frequently, which i am greatly in favour of, as there unfortunately wasnt much that greatly appealedto me. In all, we enjoyed our evening, and will be back.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We called in here for lunch, the menu is not too long but certainly long enough with a good selection of meals and sandwiches. The prices appeared reasonable for the quality of food. Our open sandwiches were well presented and tasty.
The service was friendly and attentive, the food came reasonably speedily (although I have never before been asked 'how are the sandwiches going down') As is often the case in restaurants getting the bill proved difficult, (gave up in the end and went to the counter at the rear of the restaurant).
Overall a good experience and we would return.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

busy week so we head itno town to save wondering what to cook. we missed the early bird dead line but were welcome to stay..
good food good service and price a bit top heavy but it was a treat.

busy and good atomsphere.