“Not just a chippy!”
Review of Harpers Fish & Chips Ripon - CLOSED

Harpers Fish & Chips Ripon
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Harpers chain of fish and chip restaurants and takeaways have a well deserved reputation for serving great quality fish and chips Our fish and chips have been a firm favorite with celebrities such as the late, great Richard Whiteley (of 'Countdown' and mayor of Wetwang fame) and the world renowned artist David Hockney. It is an indisputable fact that, once experienced, people across any social divide will travel miles to get a regular fix of our fish and chips! However, although fish and chips are a specialty, it is by no means the only type of food that we include on the menu or that we excel in. There is a mouth watering range of reasonably priced non-fish and vegetarian options as well as a kids menu on offer. Bring family and friends to one of our restaurants or takeaways and see (and taste!) Exactly why we are the best place to enjoy traditional fish and chips in a fun and friendly environment.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

More of a fish restaurant than an old fashioned "chippy". The decor is clean, bright and modern. We found the staff welcoming and helpful. I asked for my fish to be cooked without the batter as I don't get on with wheat flour! They offer several fish dishes without batter (and indeed chips) but I fancied the good value "pensioners special". This included tea/coffee, bread & butter (for my partner) and a dessert. We chose lemon posset: light & creamy & refreshing on the palate. As my partner lives in Ripon we will be back very soon to sample more!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This new restaurant has been fitted out to a high standard and is a cut above any similar establishments around here. As well as fish and chips they offer a range of meats and salads. The staff were welcoming and friendly and service was quick. I tried the jumbo haddock which was absolutely enormous (two huge fillets) and couldn't finish it. My companion had the regular which she finished. The food was well cooked and tasty. With two drinks the bill came to £28.

1  Thank AlexFHampshire
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Harpers is new to Ripon. I first tried th Haddock and Chips from the takeaway side. This was great food and excellent price as well.
Would recommend.
However, went at the weekend and the staff was hounding us to order, every five minutes or so [very pushy]. Also, was expensive, more pricey than over restuarant fish and chips that we have had.
This time tired Cod, which was really nice.
Just a shame about the prices in the restaurant.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My 1st time in Ripon and although there are several fish and chip restaurants in Ripon we went to the newly opened Harpers. Very nicely decorated, friendly staff and my grilled haddock was beautifully cooked. The fried onion garnish was very tasty. My husband had the senior citizens special. This was a reasonable sized fish, chips, bread and butter and tea. Also included in the price was a large bowl of delicious homemade apple crumble. I tried a spoonful and it was so buttery. Excellent and we will go back when next in Ripon.

1  Thank Sarah50td
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Really not very good at all...

- Waited far too long (for no apparent reason)
- Poor service - very disorganised. - Lots of staff but clearly no management.
- Cod over cooked so inedible (yes cooked to order but then just left sitting there for 15 mins... Why???)

Sooo many people in the kitchen but only 2 women serving who clearly couldn't cope.

Frustrating to see your order sat there slowly drying out as they mess about... Felt like they just didn't care. When I got home it was so overlooked it was like rubber. Couldn't eat it so went in the bin.

Chips were nice.

Saw at least one customer have to return to collect missing portion of fish.

Another poor brighter eventually asked whether they were actually preparing his order and found they'd forgotten about it!

Another customer walked out having seen poor service.

Seems really strange to spend so much fitting out a really nice shop but then be unable to get the basics right.

I won't bother going back and to be honest suspect I'm not alone.

Shame really - I give it 18 months before they pack up. I hope I'm wrong but sadly I won't be bothering going back and certainly would not recommend it.

Tom