“Unbelievably luxurious hotel. Amazing surrounds. Service out of this world” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swinton Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Swinton Park
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Lancashire
“Unbelievably luxurious hotel. Amazing surrounds. Service out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

We attended a small meeting here (15 people) with private meeting and private dining facilities. The hotel rooms are as luxurious as you'd expect - lets face it you get exactly what you pay for and some. But it is very expensive and I can only imagine the very rich can afforf (I didnt pay for myself - was fortunate to be staying as part of business meeting).

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the tower room - its on three levels in the original turrett!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

I called Swinton Park today hopeful of booking afternoon tea for a party of 4 for Weds 27th July and was very disappointed with the poor response of the lady I spoke with.
Having tried to call several times the phone was eventually answered and after asking if I could book afternoon tea I was put on hold for what seemed like an eternity, she eventually came back on the phone and said there was building work taking place but they were still serving afternoon tea in the bar and another room on the day I wanted and that they had space, I asked which room she'd recommend and I was put on hold again...about 5 minutes later she came back on the phone and said we're full tomorrow, no space left...!? I said how could she be sure as she hadn't even asked me what time I wanted and I was aware they served it for 3 hours each day and literally 5 minutes earlier they had space? I asked if she had put me on hold and answered 20 calls filling up the remaining space... or could they just not be bothered to do afternoon tea for 4?
I am now going to Rockliffe Hall. My clients are very wealthy and like me have little or no intention of ever returning to Swinton Park either for accommodation or afternoon tea!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ADwinelover
gmswintonpark, General Manager at Swinton Park, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments relating to your request for afternoon tea.

At this point I can only apologise for the confusion the phone call to Swinton Park must have been for you.

To clarify, the hotel was having some re-decoration work completed in the Drawing Room and this reduced our capacity of lounge sitting by over 75% as this is our main lounge facility during the day. Due to this work and additional events in the hotel, it was required that we controlled the flow of afternoon tea bookings and the lady you spoke to wanted to be sure that it was or was not possible to offer you a booking with a full hotel of residents hence the hesitation and a need to protect the service levels we offer. This work has now been completed and the hotel is in full operation and we are very much interested in afternoon tea bookings as we are one of only a small number of properties that have been awarded the 'Tea Guild Award of Excellence' in the UK of each we are one of only 2 in Yorkshire.

This award is given to properties of high standards of service and standards that represent the right way to offer and serve afternoon tea along with the atmosphere and environment of the Drawing Room while our fallow deer roam in the pastures beyond. I might also add that the scones we serve are the best I have ever tasted and I am not just saying that just because this goes onto a website for all to read! It is true!

With regard to your phone calls, on Tuesday 26th July I can confirm that the hotel had a high level of phone traffic with a combination of different enquiries and as a small hotel we engage the phones as quickly as possible while looking after guest facing services and appointments relating to events. As we cannot predict when the hotel will get a high demand of phone traffic as GM of the property I have to determine the right staffing levels for the full year and I believe this is the right level at present.

I can only apologise at this stage but I believe I have clearly stated why the issue occured and as you can read from other reviews it is rare we make errors (hence 95%) and prefer to engage with guests to make sure all enjoy Swinton Park, as a resident or non-resident.

Finally, I hope you will give Swinton Park the opportunity to show you why we are award winning and come and try our scones!

Kind regards,

Peter
Staffordshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Fabulous welcome, special thanks to Roger. Booked into the Bradford room and it was gorgeous, huge area, lovely big bed, large windows with great views of parkland. Very large bathroom with luxurious toiletries. Enjoyed the private use of the spa, fantastic idea!!!. Meal was superb, did not know that meat could taste that good, Service was truly wonderful, all the team were friendly and helpful, thank you to Alin as a special mention. Enjoyed drinks afterwards in the drawing room. Breakfast superb, Meet the birds a good experience. Overall an amazing stay, exceptional service levels and beautiful hotel, deserves more stars.

Room Tip: Bradford room is on a corridor with 1 other room only.
1 Thank Jennifer S
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband and I spent a sunday night here for our second wedding anniversary. The whole setting is beautiful, like entering into a rapunzel fairytale!. If you are looking for elegance on the scale of a stately home then this place is for you. We were booked into the "Scarborough" room in the earls category which was huge, beautifully decorated with a large bathroom and dressing lobby. There is a comfy sofa in the room and complimentary whisky, vodka and tea and coffee. There are several categories of room to choose from. Barons, knights, Earls, Dukes and finally the suites which are on the grandest scale. it is expensive to stay here but well worth it for a special treat. We did not eat in the restaurant because we do not really enjoy the type of cuisine it serves, although it seemed to be very popular. We opted for he more informal Castle menu and had a rather tasy round of ham and mustard sandwiches with a tower of chips and onion rings which was served in the bar area. The huge, gilded and lavishly furnished drawing room was a haven to lounge in whilst sipping earl grey and eating fruit cake and cheese. The grounds are extensive and can be freely explored by guests. we spent an hour being pampered having a pedicure each in the treatment rooms, pure bliss! We indulged in the private use of the spa which houses a jacuzzi, sauna, changing area and relaxation area. This facility can be booked by the hour and is complimentary for guests, total privacy and relaxation. The breakfast was wonderful and there is plenty of choice. The staff are polite and helpful and you feel very well looked after here. We also enjoyed a couple of games of snooker in the large games room. we will be back again I am sure, an excellent stay in a beautiful, clean and elegant hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, for good rates try staying sunday or monday nights
4 Thank lightworkerwithwings
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I took some friends to Swinton Park for a Champagne Afternoon Tea and we all had the most special time from arriving into the grounds which were beautiful and looking round the Walled Kitchen Garden and sitting in the Lounge the service was excellent being greeted with a glass of champagne followed by the most delicious afternoon tea sandwiches cut into fingers beautiful selection of cakes and scones cream and jam with choices of tea. All my friends were very impressed and it was a very memorable afternoon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank yorkie25
wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We have recently just come back from a Romantic weekend package holiday at this hotel. It was amazing from beginning to end. The staff bent over backwards to help us, the food was excellence the room service outstanding. the food was amazing.
A truly amazing experience. If you want to surprise that special someone in your life i would highly highly recommend the romantic break package.

Room Tip: Pay that little extra and get the york suite
1 Thank kadaz
durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, the staff at Swinton Park couldn’t do enough for us. The setting and the ambience of the Hotel made the whole experience a very relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable experience.

As we passed through the gate house and drove up to the striking turreted stately home in its beautiful garden settings we knew we were in for something a little special, and we weren’t let down.

We were greeted at the reception, our bags were taken out of the car, the car was valet parked. Once we had booked in we were given a mini tour on the way to our room. I might add that the hotel is a bit of a labyrinth, so if you like exploring old houses; you’re in for a treat.

Our room is what you would imagine in an old stately home, big beautiful rooms, big beds, and beautiful views across the endless estate acres. The finish and cleanliness could not be faulted.

The cuisine from afternoon tea, to our evening meal to our breakfast the following morning was all first class. All the members of staff we met were charming and multi-cultural as well, from Hungarian’s, to Romanian’s and Lithuanian’s all with excellent English who could not be more obliging.

My wife had a spa treatment in the afternoon – which I’m led to believe was very relaxing and very enjoyable.

Swinton Park is set in beautiful grounds which are so peaceful and easy to roam, and what could be better than after a hearty breakfast walking to the Top Lake where you can take in serene views and breath taking vista.

Top marks Swinton Park

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stressfreedurham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
The Ripon Spa Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ripon
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to Swinton Park? Share your experiences!