“Fantastic”
Review of The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion
Ranked #7 of 84 Restaurants in Ripon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brighouse, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This was the only pub we found in Ripon that took dogs. But that turned out to be a blessing. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. Lovely pub, very clean and modern toilets. From the starter to the puddings everything was home made. Not small potions either. Would highly recommend this place. Even if I was out and about near here again I would make the effort to go again.

Ripon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We visit the Golden Lion regularly and have never had a bad meal. The food is always cooked well and tastes good. The menu has a wide variety of meals on offer at reasonable prices. My favourite is the sirloin steak which is cooked to perfection and the home made chips are really tasty. The staff are friendly and the service is great. I would recommend the Golden Lion as an eating place whether you want a snack or a full meal. You will always get value for money. It is one of the best eating places in Ripon.

“Brilliant”
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Lovely food at great value, can't do enough for you we come here regularly, highly recommend you won't be disappointed

• Visited April 2014
Todmorden
“Didn't live up to other reviews”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Maybe it was a bad night but we were unhappy with our food. Very basic prawn cocktail - lettuce and prawns in Marie Rose sauce with no garnish. I ordered a sirloin steak with salad and my husband a sirloin with all the trimmings. My sirloin was ok but I just got a side salad with 3 slices of carrot, 2 halves of cucumber and lettuce. My husbands sirloin was minute! They charged us £14.95 each until I complained and I was refunded the price of the chips. No refund for mushrooms, onion rings etc etc - won't be returning

Visited May 2014
vicki s, Manager at The Golden Lion, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with you meal the other evening. I was on the premises at the time and you informed us that you where on a strict diet therefore did not want the chips, onion ring, mushrooms on your meal, just Steak and Salad with a grilled tomato which we served you, in the salad bowl we serve Lettuce, Cucumber, mixed Peppers, Celery and Carrots with the grilled tomato on the plate. All our Sirloins are 8oz uncooked weight. As for the refund for the chips, mushrooms and onion rings it was you choice not to have them and the main part of the meal is the Steak, we did as goodwill refund you the price of a portion of chips.
The Prawn Cocktail was not on the menu but we did serve it as favour and a Classic Prawn Cocktail is lettuce topped with Prawns and Rose Marie Sauce with bread and butter. I have also spoken to my waitress who was working that evening and she did a check back on the steaks and at the time you said everything was fine. I am sorry you were not satisfied with everything.
“Great welcome, lovely quality food at a great price!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

A lovely accident to stumble upon this place, happy to take dogs in the bar and really attentive staff who made sure we got our order in before a large group so we wouldn't wait too long. Really tasty food with a lovely salad with the meal and great value, 3 of us with drinks for £28, bargain! We'll be back!