“My Dream Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Talon Falconry

Talon Falconry
Ranked #8 of 31 things to do in Ripon
More attraction details
Owner description: Located within a purpose built complex on our 175 acre site, you'll find our awe-inspiring Lightwater Valley Falconry, which is home to over 50 amazing raptors including Owls, Falcons, Eagles and Hawks. There are also Rheas, Snakes and our inquisitive Ferrets too!Established to raise awareness of a wide selection of breath-taking birds, this facility offers a truly unique experience. As well as having the opportunity to see how these amazing birds are trained and handled and to learn about every aspect of their daily lives, visitors have the chance to watch dramatic flying shows every day (during theme park opening hours). In fact, you could even volunteer to pull on a gauntlet and allow our trained raptors to land on your arm or have your photo taken with one of the magnificent creatures.Lightwater Valley Falconry is open all year round, and in addition to the main Bird of Prey Centre also offers a unique range of falconry attractions including Hawk Walks and Owl Experiences.
Ripon
“My Dream Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My owl experience session was amazing and the best thing I've done in ages. I've been to other Birds of Prey centres but this is by far the best. The birds are in fantastic condition and not only well cared for but loved. The guys there have so much knowledge and patience. Their patience extends beyond the birds to people too. They are on hand to talk to, answer any questions and really make you feel welcome.My ultimate goal is to have an owl of my own and I now know that I can book experience/learning time at Talon to make sure I do it right. I will definately be going back.
Thanks guys it was a day to remember.

Visited August 2012
Simon E, Manager at Talon Falconry, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Howdy!

Thank you for posting your review. They're a great bunch at the center.

Did you get to meet my little owl called Smudge?

Hull
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“An informative find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I found the talon falconry by chance when looking for things to do en route to our hotel in the dales - great find!

We stayed for the show which was excellent - we got to to see three birds of prey including the British barn owl, a falcon and a huge eagle owl
Hybrid - the guy running the show knew his stuff and kept us all entertained even when the rain put paid to the outside show he carried it on indoors.

You can get up close and personal with the birds - who all look in very good condition. Kids and adults alike will find this interesting and entertaining - be sure to catch one of the shows at 2pm and 4pm.

We really enjoyed it!

Simon E, Manager at Talon Falconry, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Howdy!

Thank you for posting your review. We're thrilled you had a good day.

United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a memorable experience at Talon this weekend. I can't recommend them enough for anyone who likes owls or wants to have an experience to remember for a long time. Chris was the friendly handler that explained everything and his knowledge was very comprehensive. We had three different sized Owls (Barn Owl fly onto our hands to see the bird in flight. Chris even let us see the newly born Snowy Owl. All in all an excellent couple of hours were had by both of us.

Visited June 2012
, Manager at Talon Falconry, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Hi There!

Thank you so much for writing your review. We're thrilled you had a good time, thanks for uploading the pictures too!

Hopefully have you back soon.

Christchurch, New Zealand
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“The best day out I've had in ages, well worth coming all the way from New Zealand to see!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Amazing loved every minute of it.

We were greeted by Chris who was enthusiastic and very knowlegable. All the birds looked in great condition. Ended up getting my picture taken holding a large owl - Jaye a siberian turkmemian eagle owl. We were able to take heaps of pictures of the birds too.

The flying display was awesome. Learnt heaps. They flew three birds Jay, cybil the barn owl and I think one of the hawks. They flew the owls right over the small crowd and children where able to get involved with the flying display.

Flying times are 2 and 4 so if you come before then most of the other people are at the theme park and you can have a good look in peace.

Thanks Chris and the team!

1 Thank Jessica_nz2
, Manager at Talon Falconry, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Hi There,

We're thrilled you had a great time! Thank you so much for the review!

Please, spread the word!

Darlington, UK
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Chris's labour of love provides a wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

We have just had a truly memorable day at Talon Falconry, Lightwater Valley, near Ripon North Yorkshire. I booked an "Owl Experience" as a birthday present for my partner and as there was an offer available at the time of booking, I was able to share the experience. From the moment we arrived at the centre, Chris, the owner, welcomed us enthusiastically & immediately took us to meet the owls we would be handling. Spud the Little Owl, Sweep the Tawny Owl and Jaye the hybrid European Eagle Owl. They were all sitting on their individual blocks next to a new addition to the collection Bumble the baby Tawny Owl that had been found on the ground having fallen from a tree & had happily been adopted by Chris so that it will have a happy protected life. Chris has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Birds of Prey and chats away whilst instructing you how to hold the birds correctly. The three owls we handled were absolutely gorgeous birds, full of character and very tame when treated correctly. We were encouraged to take our own photos throughout the visit & there was no pressure to sign up to adopt a bird - in fact that wasn't mentioned by Chris or Phil his colleague, until I asked about it. The second part of the experience was flying one of the Barn Owls, Cybil, which was great as she is a" celebrity owl" used to performing regularly as a ring bearer at weddings!!!! When the hour had elapsed we looked at all the other birds in the sanctuary as well as the snakes of which Buster the python was the most impressive. We had a look around the shopping village but made sure that we returned to Talon Falconry for the 2pm display which showcased a Barn Owl, Harris Hawk and Eagle Owl. Chris encouraged audience participation & it was great to see so many small children volunteering to fly the Harris Hawk.
We cannot praise Talon Falconry highly enough. Chris & his team deserve great success - their warmth and enthusiasm is infectious and I would urge anyone staying in the area to make time to visit this impressive living attraction.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank SBarnesDarlington_UK
Simon E, Manager at Talon Falconry, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Hi There,

We're all thrilled you had a great time at Talon Falconry. Thank you for your great review!