“Good as always”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #6 of 93 Restaurants in Ripon
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All of our food is freshly prepared in house by our talented brigade of chefs. We are lucky to be located in an area rich with excellent local produce. This is reflected in our menu’s that change seasonally enabling us to use ingredients when they are at there best. We offer a wide selection of meat and vegetarian meals, with a mouth watering desserts menu alongside a carefully chosen wine list to compliment your meals.
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a drink whilst deciding where to eat. Good beer but for once lacked atmosphere. Music on low at 6pm and no buzz but still a great pub

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Visited solely on trip advisor reviews and decided to give it a try on a Tuesday afternoon 22nd July.
The food here is absolutely awesome however, one member of staff let our experience down. She really couldn't be bothered. Knives and forks were just chucked on the table in a pile with the napkins, no interaction at all and chewing food whilst carrying plates out didn't make for an attractive or hygienic look. No check back on the food either and she didn't even ask if we wanted anymore drinks, even though our glasses were almost empty. She even walked past empty glasses on other tables, as it seemed too much trouble for her to bother with.
Luckily, all three of the other staff that interacted with us made us feel welcome and special, although the lack of table service is at odds with the quality of food being offered.
The owners and Chefs should be deeply worried by members of staff that cant be bothered with customers, as the food is really really good.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this place if you are in the area. Its not cheap at all and the service is (from our experience) at odds with the quality of food, but we will definitely return-hopefully when warm welcoming staff are working.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had not booked and arrived around 7:00 and were fortunate to get a table. The staff were everything you could want in a pub, friendly, helpful and lively. I had the home made scampi and my wife had the cod or haddock (not sure). My scampi was good but my wifes battered fish was really succulent and well cooked.
We had a bottle of prosecco which was reasonably priced and served in a cooler.
The atmosphere in the Royal Oak was great full of people enjoying themselves and the food.
The service was excellent and we didn't have to wait long for our meals.
We chose the sharing sweet which was amazing with superb home-made ice-cream and too many other delights for the two of us to be able to finish.
We left with a warm glow having had not just a lovely meal but an excellent experience.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very central in Ripon, in an old part of the town which was very quiet in the evening when we went. A long time after ordering they came to say they did not have the blackboard dish that I wanted but what I had was up market for pub grub and it was not too expensive. Good range of beers which you would expect in Yorkshire. Service, apart from the delay in informing me that the dish on the blackboard was in fact off, was friendly and good. It is a gastro pub so more bistro than pub. Satisfactory would be my summary

2  Thank David B
Reviewed July 22, 2014

It was busy for a Monday, but with a refreshing summer drink and bar snacks, we were happy to wait in the bar (especially when we saw how good the food looked). We were amply rewarded by sharing a generous cold cuts and cheese and sensational pâté platter and everyone loved their mains, my crab cake rocked, so did the sea trout. The fashion for samphire (served with all fish dishes) leaves me cold, give me beans any day! We enjoyed good wines and then shared the dessert platter, talk about fully loaded, huge choccy ball and caramel sauce were my faves out of plethora of choice. We thought value was excellent for quality received, a highlight of our uk trip