“Stay away, not child or customer friendly”
Review of Weary Friar Inn

Weary Friar Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Saltash B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Spend your money somewhere more deserving!! I've been several times each time thinking it was just an off day but the current staff behind the bar are just plain rude. Not only is she rude but for god sake the place was empty with every table with reserved signs on, it was 6pm, most were probably reserved for later on. she said we could eat but only outside, 3 adults and 2 children out in the bench beside a road freezing while inside was empty £40 I wish I spent elsewhere and the tables only simply dressed so would have take seconds to wipe down, no wonder businesses go bust, some places just don't help themselves. Same cause it's a lovely old pub, just sort the customer service out, ps they don't like kids either.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Bexisus

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I came here for dinner with my wife and son. When we walked in, the landlady was not very welcoming. When my son was sick on a chair she got angry, grabbed the chair and stormed off.
When she came back, I apologised for my son being sick on the chair and got a grunt in return and she didn't even bother to look at me.
That annoyed me, kids are sick from time to time and if you have children's food on the menu, like the weary friar, the owners should expect the odd disaster.
At no point should a landlady be rude to a customer who has cleared up the mess and also said sorry.
I would recommend that if you are old and childless to go there, otherwise stay clear of the place.
The food was nice enough for a country pub, I have eaten worse and occasionally better in other pubs. The daily special soup was my highpoint, the wife liked her salmon in white wine sauce the most. The one pint of real ale I could have was really nice and it shows they take care of their ale.
So to sum up: good food, very good beer and a rude land lady.

• Stayed: August 2012
13  Thank milked
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We went for Lunch in July 2012, the menu seemed extremely expensive for Pub Grub. The pricing reflected bistro prices although the menu was mostly the type of food you would expect in a country pub! In my opinion £7.95 for a Jacket potatoe with cheese and £10.95 for Gammon, egg and chips is ridiculous. There wasn't anything exceptional about our meals at all and the pub was very dinghy, in fact it was hard to see the menu. My mineral water was flat, the previous nights poured from a large bottle. The Barman did take it off the bill without an argument. The service was good but probably wont visit again as overall the prices dont reflect reasonable value for money!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank hlb74
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed there 8/9 July 2012, earlier in the year whilst staying at Pentillie castle in feb,we went for an evening meal at the Friar, the food and welcome was fantastic, the menu and local ales was excellent, as were the staff and service, so when we returned for a wedding in Cornwall the choice was a no brainer.
The welcome we recieved was very friendly, the accomadation clean and functional, the breakfast freshly cooked and very tasty, would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nigells
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have dined at the Weary Friar several times now, its a lovely pub with a nice atmosphere. There are several local ales available to chose from. The menu offers more or less something for everyone. We went there recently on a Saturday lunchtime and it was quite busy. We both went for the Steak and Ale pie which was served with either chips or new potatoes and four vegetables. Food was served very hot and was tasty.
The price was reasonable and the service was good. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Owlincallington
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We ate here whilst staying at St Mellion Golf Club a couple of weeks ago. At first glance the menu may seem a little on the expensive side for a pub BUT...when the food arrives you do see where the extra pennies go! Both my partner and dad had a mixed grill - cost £20 which isn't out of the way - it was the biggest mixed grill I'd ever seen! The quality was brilliant (not just cheap bits chucked together). Myself and mum opted for homemade fishcakes and cheese & ham ploughmans and despite how good the m.g looked we didn't have food envy - ours choices were delicious too!

We liked it so much that we went back the next night!

I would recommend booking as there were no free tables when we went back on the Thursday night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I went for lunch here and found this place was lovely. The food was amazing with so much choice and the service was great too. We were overall satisfied with our visit. Looking at the other reviews, we all know some places/people have bad days! I would recommend this place, a very nice little pub.

• Stayed: June 2012