“Excellent excellent excellent!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
cambridgeshire
“Excellent excellent excellent!”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I don't know what these other reviewers are talking about?! Why spend all that time writing about minor bits and bobs and then say - "but I would definitely go back and highly recommend it???!"
I had nothing but exceptional service, great food and a very comfortable stay. As a lone female traveller, it can be intimidating to visit the restaurant/ facilities on your own in the evenings but the atmosphere was fantastic and the staff, very kind and welcoming.

I visit Plymouth regularly for work purposes and will now always take the extra 10 miles to travel to st mellion instead of the dingy city hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
StMellionManager, Business Development Executive at St Mellion International Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay. I will pass these comments on to the Brasserie staff who I am sure will be delighted!

We look forward to welcoming you back to St Mellion very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
devon
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We stayed here for a friends wedding, and it was nothing but OK.

Everything is expensive at St. Mellion and you hope that you'll have a nice stay, with fine food and nice staff. unfortunatly, we were disapointed on all counts.
The hotel is clean and has what you need, but has no character or charm at all. I know they have gone for a modern take, but even with a course view & balcony room, it just felt clinical.

The staff are ok, but you have go up to them and talk to them rather then hoping they'll come to you.

The round of golf was good though, and the pool/gym is nice too.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rosita04
StMellionManager, Business Development Executive at St Mellion International Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2010
Dear rosita04,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay in February 2010.
I am sorry to hear of your comments regarding our new hotel as this is certainly not the usual feedback we recieve from guests. When we looked to re-develop the resort, we took time and made sure to ask many visitors to the resort and the area, what they would like to see in the new hotel. The general feedback was that a modern hotel was sought after with balconies over-looking the golf course. Most guests are extremely happy with the finished product but I do take on your comments and will discuss this with the rest of the team here at St Mellion.
With regards to your comments regarding our staff, I am disappointed you did not recieve the level of service you would expect. This is again, something we regularly recieve very positive comments about but I will be following this up as a section in our internal customer service training courses.

I'm glad you enjoyed your game of golf and our leisure facilities and do hope you will return to St Mellion in the not so distant future where we can show you the improvements we have made.
Milton, Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2010

• Wifi. I have an O2 iPhone and would get “the Cloud” page but I received an error when I entered my mobile number. I retried it several times and showed it to a young man at the front desk.
• Hot water in our room. It was at best lukewarm on both days.
• SPA completely booked on Friday.
• Dining room dinner reservation. We booked it in the morning with a young lady at the front desk. It didn’t make it to the hostesses podium list at 6pm. We were seated however. The couple in line behind us did not have a reservation and were told to come back at 830. The young lady at the front desk re-verified our booking on Saturday.
• Bruschetta. We ordered this starter and asked the waitress if she could bring that first as we were hungry. It arrived 30 minutes later.
• Chicken Caesar. I wanted a Caesar salad but not with the chicken. It came with our bruschetta. I questioned why the charge was still £6.95 and was told it could not be changed.
• Dinner bill. Apparently the waitress did not review the bill prior to presenting it. It was for £135 and included all of our charges plus a table of six. She was able to sort this out.
• Toaster. The toaster ejects the toast on to the floor. I cannot understand why this has not been identified and resolved?
• Warming table. The lids on each food item are not conducive to a queue of people trying to serve their breakfast choices. You have your plate in one hand, the tongs in the other hand, and you have to remove the lid and place it on top of another lid, and so on. Try it with 5 people and you will understand.
Even after all this I really liked the hotel and WOULD recommend it. The housekeeping
very well done. Just these few things need to be sorted out and it would be an excellent
retreat. We will be back !!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Guinness55
Dear Guinness55,

Thank you very much indeed for your review. The comments you have fed-back are excellent in order for us to continue to improve our guest's experience at St Mellion International Resort.
The free wi-fi we provide to all guests does usually have excellent service throughout the resort but of course, with these things, there may be a technical hitch now and again. I would hope that when you discussed this with the reception team, they did all they could to help you and the problem was resolved.
The water temperature feedback is of concern to me and do I hope that you reported it at the time. Our maintanance team work tirelessly 24 hours a day to ensure that these types of issue never arise. This is certainly not something that has ever come to my attention but I will be speaking with the maintanance manager to report the issue you had during your stay and I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you had to experience a warm shower.
Our spa is an extremely popular facility at St Mellion as does get booked up very quickly. My apologies you didn't have the opportunity to try out some of our fantastic treatments during your stay. May I advise that before your next stay with us, you book your treatments in advance on 01579 352026. Our Spa team look forward to seeing you soon for a well deserved pamper!
Your comments regarding the Brasserie are very disappointing. I am sorry that you have several issues to feedback, but please be assured that these have been fully discussed with both the Resort Director and the Brasserie Manager and have been resolved. Communication between departments is better, staff are better trained in job knowledge and customer service and waiting times for food have been significantly reduced.
Thank you for your kind comments on our Housekeeping staff - we regularly recieve positive comments about the hard work that they do and we ensure that they are highly praised for this.
Thank you also for saying that you WOULD reccommend St Mellion. I am confident that we have now resolved all of the issues you highlighted and that your next stay with us will be enjoyed thoroughly.

Thank you again for such great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to St Mellion International Resort in the not so distant future.

Warmest Regards,

London
Reviewed December 26, 2009

Went here midweek in December, with baby in tow. The staff were exceptional, every single one we met. Friendly, efficient and always went out of their way to help. The courses are in very good condition, and the hotel amenities are top-notch. Would go back in an instant.

1 Thank jjclondonuk
North West England
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We stayed here in August 2009 as part of an extended UK break to the Cornwall area. It was the finale of our holiday - a little luxury before going back to work! We were very impressed with the leisure facilities and spa - very clean and the staff were excellent. The hotel rooms were ok but rather 'Ikeaesque' - I mean that in the sense that they were modern and functional and minimalist but I can't see them looking great in a few years time - it seemed to be quite a cheap re-fit. However the real problem lay with the brasserie and the attitude of the management which were both appauling. We waited over an hour between our starter and main meal and then a further half an hour between our main meal and dessert and not only were were starving but it was embarassing. We had to ask several times for extra drinks too. The waiting on staff seemed very thin on the ground and also inexperienced - unsure what to say despite knowing how poor the service and waiting time was. One even told us she hated working there and preferred working in the restaurant....mmm...training requirement perhaps?!! We complained to the hotel manager just before checking out the following day. He gave us our drinks for free (one bottle of wine and one soft drink) but woud not offer any further gesture of good will until he had spoken to the brasserie staff. We felt rather put out - he was intimating he did not believe us despite several reviews on this website complaining of the same slow service in the brasserie. He took our phone number and said he would call us once he had spoken to the brasserie. Guess what? Never received a call. Really, really poor. We have answermachines on all of our telephones therefore he could not even try to pretend he had attempted to resolve the complaint. No letter or email received either despite having this information too. Would not return to this hotel and based on our experience would not recommend. Poor service, poor management. As in all organisations, a well run business depends largely on good management...it all cascades from the top down.....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Britraveller
Dear Britraveller,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay in August 2009. First of all, I am really pleased that you were impressed with the leisure facilities and staff. We regularly recieve similar feedback regarding this facility and always ensure this is fed-back to the staff to ensure they are rewarded for their hard work and commitment.
We have spent over £20 Million on the re-development of St Mellion International Resort and are extremely pleased with the end result however, I completely understand that the contemporary style is not always to everyone's tastes. I am sorry that you felt that way during your stay but hope it did not affect a good night's sleep.
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your experience in Bewdern's Brasserie. Your comments have been taken on board and dealt with as part of a re-training campaign. We have now been open as a new resort for 9 months and I am confident that we have resolved all issues of waiting times, staff attitude and customer service. This does not make up for the poor service you recieved of course, but I hope it will re-assure you that your comments have not gone un-noted.
I understand the manager did begin to attempt to resolve the issue by refunding your drinks on the evening. This should have been followed up with a call or some type of correspondence. It is our company policy that any feedback is handled by the person the guest speaks with first, right up until we are sure the guest is re-assured or we believe we have done all we can to resolve an issue. All I can say is that I am terribly sorry that you were treated this way and if you would like to discuss it with me personally, my direct line is 01579 352062.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back to St Mellion when you are next back in this part of the country.

Yours Sincerely,

UK
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Our family came for a short break , we got a very good deal for one of the lodges located within the ground of the golfcourse. Unlike the hotel the lodges have not been refurbished therefore expect dated decor ( not four star) , wonky toilet and avocado bathroom. However in return you will get massive amount of space - the lodges are huge, 3 loos and two bathrooms, and your own sauna! Thrown in is the use of the hotel spa - very nice with a proper pool, warmer and smaller kids pool and a baby pool, sauna and steamroom. It was half term so it was busy. Golfers will love the golfcourses - both very well kept and challenging. We did not eat at St Mellion - cannot comment. Tennis court is also available for free. I would like to go back and stay in the hotel next time ; the view from the front is great - over the hills and the golfcourse - I did like the whole look of the hotel and setting very much.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review from your stay with us in October 2009.
You are correct in saying that our lodges have not had the refurbishment the rest of St Mellion has undergone but this is certainly something on the cards for the near future. I am glad you were pleased with the facilities provided in the lodges and agree with you that they are big rooms and certainly allow for a family to relax and make themsleves at home! I am pleased you were able to take advantage of the free leisure facilities - pool, gym and tennis courts and that your game of golf was enjoyed by all.

We have further special offers available on our website so do please look out foir them and in the meantime,we very much look forward to welcoming you back to St Mellion International Resort in the not so distant future!

With Warmest Regards,

Southampton Hampshire
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Stayed in a room with a balcony, the views were stunning and worth the additional cost. This is the best golf break that I have been on and I have stayed at many venues including Celtic Manor and Loch Lomond. The golf course is brilliant although tough and unforgiving, the food and wine were spot on and I tasted the best meal that I have ever had in the An Boesti Restaurant, cost me an arm and a leg but without a shadow of a doubt well worth it, top notch food and service. St Mellion is a revelation and is now a must for any golf break fanatic, well done St mellion for finally giving the place a lift and bringing it back to its former glory....and some.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Saintsone,

Thank you for your fantastic review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to having you back again for a few rounds of golf in the not so distant future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltash
China Fleet Country Club
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The White Hart
The White Hart
#5 of 9 in St Austell

Been to St Mellion International Resort? Share your experiences!