“Back again”

Who'd Have Thought It
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Saltash
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Who'd Have Thought It Inn is a traditional country pub serving great food, wines, ciders and local ales with a warm welcome. The menu consists of a variety of delicious classic pub dishes, all homemade using locally sourced ingredients and an ever changing specials board using the best seasonal produce. Our Christmas menu is now available and we are taking bookings for Christmas parties. The Who'd is a great location for your Christmas party and we have 2 separate function rooms for larger parties. Whether you are dining with us or just enjoying a pint by the fire reading the papers, we would love to see you. Families with children are very welcome and we have a children's menu and baby change facilities. Well behaved dogs are welcome in the bar areas. We are open for morning coffee from 11am every day.
Plymouth, Devon
“Back again”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Just back from another visit. Steak for my wife good and turkey pie for me good. Very few customers on a Thursday evening in July.

• Visited July 2012

“Poor reheated food.”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I took my wife here for her 40th birthday for a meal. It started off well with the staff being attentive but went downhill from there. My wife's potatoes when they arrived had been reheated and my chips looked like they had been refried from lunch! The cheese plate (which we shared) was minus the apple advertised and had 5 crackers. The celery was limp and brown and the grapes were clearly past there sell by date! Butter arrived 5 minutes after we started and we had no plates or knives. Avoid like the plague. Its expensive and not value for money!

4 Thank eddiew007
West Sussex
“OK but scope to be so much better!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have eaten at the Who'd Have Thought It a number of times over the last few years, We've had some good meals but also some poor ones.

On a positive note we have always received a friendly welcome and good service.

I always feel the menu is a little 'old fashioned' (nothing adventurous or modern here) - just good wholesome food. Unfortunately we have found that often the more appealing items on the menu are "sold out" when we visit (whitebait and duck on our last visit).

One a recent visit at lunchtime we had a crab sandwich and duck pate (perhaps that's where the missing duck went!). The sandwich was alright but there was not much crab.The pate was good. The chips were very good!

On an evening visit (missing whitebait and duck) we had the roast turkey - good and a generous portion but the roast potatoes were totally overcooked (perhaps reheated from a previous session?). Sorbet for dessert was good but the crumble was inedible - hard topping with a dry,overcooked filling (my wife left it all but it's beyond me how it was allowed to leave the kitchen!).

Overall I doubt we'll try another full meal but will probably go again for a sandwich and a portion of chips!

• Visited June 2012
5 Thank BOBOK777
Plymouth, Devon
“Little choice for miles”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Back again and the only other diners were a French party. Prices up, portions down is the succinct conclusion. As usual, my wife had steak and was not as impressed as on previous visits. So, yes, three stars sums it up.

• Visited May 2012
11 Thank plymouth
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Who would have gone there.”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Now before I start, let me say that this review is based on only one visit so I may have just been unlucky... On the day in question the pub was full of people who all seemed to be having a good time and enjoying their food but unfortunately that wasn't our experience.

To be fair we do present a challenge to pubs because one of our family is lactose intolerant and gluten intolerant. This does constrict somewhat the range of food that she can eat. To make maters worse another member has advanced dementia and thus has other difficulties. Full marks then to the who'd have thought it for being willing to try to cater.

In fairness the service was ok and the atmosphere was friendly. At first glance the menu was impressive with a vast range of sophisticated food. Unfortunately things went a bit awry when the food actually arrived. To be frank while the soup was over laced with seasoning (which tasted like Monosodium Glutamate - but may or may not have been) and unfortunately it also contained butter (which made the lactose intolerant person ill). Meanwhile the rest of the meal was rather bland and left us all feeling disappointed. The food was simply unappetising and three of our party suffered with minor stomach upsets afterwards.

Bearing in mind the fact that many other people seem to have had better experiences at this place (to judge from reviews on here) it does seem possible that we may have just been unlucky and caught them on a bad day. However sadly we wont be going back to find out, as there are other places nearby where we have had a much better experience.

I suppose my overall feeling is that, while this could be a perfectly decent ordinary pub, they were trying far too hard to produce a vast range of "gastro pub" menu items, but obviously lacked the cullinary skills to successfully pull it off. On the whole they might have been better served by aiming for a simpler offering and doing it really well than trying for the uber sophisticated and not quite managing to get there.

• Visited March 2012