“Old English Pub at it's best!”
Review of Rod & Line Pub

Rod & Line Pub
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Saltash
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

If you're after the classic English Pub dining experience that has a relaxed atmosphere, a blazing open fire on a cold day and fresh sea food that still tastes of the ocean, this is the place for you.

There are those out there that would turn their noses up at this place, it doesn't exactly have crisp table cloths or spot lights, but it's charm is what brings us back again and again.

I usually have the scallops, half a dozen or so perfectly cooked beauties in a garlic/lemon/parsley sauce with half a baguette for lapping up the juices. A side of fries to fill you up if you're after a larger meal or better yet have the fish and chips, they are to die for.

Look past the logs and barrels outside, the outdoor picnic tables and the occasional playing dog on the roof (yep, you read that right). You'll be glad you did.

The food and service are great and there are even candles in in bottles on tables, that coupled with all the above makes me give it a 5 out of 5!

5  Thank CornishTT

Reviewed February 28, 2013

lovely decoration for the special day and warm welcome and usual standard of starter and main but sadly disappointed with dessert No choice and very small piece of pavlova with defrosted damp fruits on top which spoiled it

4  Thank janeccornwall
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Well that was different.

We were told of a nearby pub that did great, fresh seafood. We were warned that t was a bit spit and sawdust. Let's just say that that as we walked in we were acutely aware that we were unlikely to come across a Jocasta or Tarquin at one of the tables. The Rod and Line in Tideford was a archetypal village pub. Full of locals and reeking of a popular village pub atmosphere from another century.

We both selected some haddock and were not disappointed. It was excellent... Though, perhaps, not what I had in mind for his birthday dinner. I even accepted mushy peas so as not to start a riot among the denizens of this strange little backwater.

2  Thank Gorsefox
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have to join Jill C on this one. I found this dirty, scruffy, noisy and cramped. It was indeed like stepping back in time, so it had authenticity on its side if you enjoy drinkers yelling across the bar, dubious hygiene, unprofessionally presented food that is overpriced for its mediocre quality, and a very grim pint of 'real ale'. The food was at least edible if unimpressive but the beer was undrinkable - we returned ours to be grudgingly provided with a replacement pint (exactly the same) and were patronisingly told 'it was a new barrell'. This was a bit galling since myself and my companion have both been savouring real ale for decades and only take drinks back if they really are rubbish!

Sorry, I usually seek out the positives, but I too, am baffled by the rave reviews. There are plenty of other Cornish pubs with food and open fires that are so much better, it would be insulting to call it a 'real' piece of Cornish tradition! Let's hope not.

Henrietta

2  Thank Henrietta B
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Food well priced and good tasting food, great ambiance and happy staff. The fire was burning and people were laughing. Very jolly and rustic pub with the typical "Cornish Local" attitude with lovely fresh food, cooked and prepared when and where you ask for it.

2  Thank Beau G