“Mostly good”

Ranked #7 of 11 Saltash B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Mostly good”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed for three nights between 9th and 12th October. Accomodation was good with a few niggles. I feel that there should be instructions on how to use heating - I didn't manage to get my head round it (probably just my ignorance). Outside security light stayed on all night. Only short flush on toilet. (These things applied to chalet 8).Breakfast was very good, and staff very attentive. Thought my brother's pyjamas (which he left in bed in chalet 9) might have been sent on, but no.
There is a notice in chalet 8 (I presume it would be in all rooms) which states that it is a non-smoking room, but asks you NOT to treat it as such!

Room Tip: Just make sure everything works properly
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Manager T, General Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Micheal P

Thank you for your valuable feedback ! I was generally pleased with your comments.
i was unaware that you're Brother's pyjamaswere left behind,if you had contacted us i would
have looked into that.

Kind Regards

Liz Venables

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Scotland
Reviewed November 5, 2013

when you reach here (you need a car or be patient with infrequent buses from Plymouth or Saltash) you might be depressed to see a roadside bar with behind it what looks like what used to be a military camp or maybe holiday camp. Once you are there though it turns out not to be so bad. the rooms are unusual - basic chalet type rooms for military or holiday camp, but clean and comfortable. They do not have internet connection though which can be very inconvenient (you need to sit in the bar to reach the wifi). Also a pleasant surprise is the restaurant attached to the bar which serves very good meals - that's good, as you don't want to have to take hours on the bus or taxi to go somewhere else. Overall after the initial negative impression this is a place you might want to stop over the night. The person who served breakfast was particualrly positive and added to the experience, much better than the average receptionist/bar personell who were there.

Room Tip: Try to get one looking over the fields not the bar building or the dreadful mess in what looks like...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TripperKlaus
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear TripperKlaus

Yes we are rather inique! We are a family business and last summer gave many of our
international customers lifts to local towns where a frequent bus service runs to Plymouth, with so much History, well worth a visit. And when returning we can always offer a friendly welcome !
so relax, have a drink at the bar, a meal in our fantasic Restaurant,let us take the strain!.

Thank you for for informative comments.

Saltash
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

A reunion and family meal for 12. I have visited this establishment many times in the past for business and pleasure. First I must say that the place has been nicely renovated and modernised so top marks for that. Staff were very pleasant and service was good with drinks brought promptly to the table. I must add here that the place was fairly empty for a Saturday evening so I can not vouch for staffing levels if they were busy. When sitting down I sat on a load of crumbs and something sticky on the chair required a trip to the toilets for a hand wash. There was also ripped up paper on the floor under the table so I assumed a child had maybe sat here earlier? We sat down at 7pm so I doubt it was just before us though. This could happen anywhere I suppose but worth noting as the new owners are obviously trying to aim a bit more "up market". The lighting was pretty bright so don't think cosy or intimate meal but more function-esque.

The food - We were told it was a new menu and the choices were good and looked like they would cater for most tastes. From my various travels I would however say that the prices are pretty high for the venue type and location. The starters we ordered were very poor value. Although presented very nicely. The soup was ungarnished with a roll so did the job. The mackerel was miniscule tasteless and cold and the two 'rissotto balls' were pretty good. The designer presentation of the fish and rice was great and made the soup look like it was prepared by someone else. Think cafe v Gordon Ramsay. At nearly £7 the starters were overpriced. Everyone was pretty stunned at the portion sizes. Several comments were made that presentation is always better in odd numbers so maybe three balls would have helped here and a slightly larger piece of fish. You don't want a big first course but think taster not starter. The main courses were very good but again overpriced. The mixed grill was presented as a heap of meat but a lot more thought went into the lamb, venison and steak. Again think different chefs. The mixed grill was also huge compared to the others but the pricing is all similar at around £17 from memory. The Venison came on a small bed of 'dauffthing' potato and the steaks and lamb required buying a bowl of 'macdonalds' type thin chips (their words) or Cardinal thick chips. The thick chips were the best bet. Presentation was good and everything well cooked including the usual medium rare, well done steak ordering mixture. The vegetables were a let down. Small dishes of cold broccolli flurets and petit pois (ignore spellings I can't be bothered to look them up). Undercooked not al dente and not good full stop.

As a local I have heard a lot of thoughts and comments on the the new "Cardinals" versus the "Hollands" as was. My couple of recent visits for business and pleasure probably mirror a lot of peoples views. The make over is good, the staff in general are pleasant some of the food is great (some not so) and pricing levels need serious thought. For repeat custom of locals looking for a good restaurant (not a rustic pub) several Plymouth venues offer better value and choice. Sunday lunch for lots of locals used to mean a trip to the Hollands for the carvery. I have heard this is not being offered. I think this is missing a trick. I have had carverys in 5 star hotels so I can't understand why this has been dropped as it was always packed out on a Sunday. Would I recommend....maybe for a function but not friends, family or visitors to the area. That said I think the place has great potential so always worth looking back on here in the future.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank oddjob66
Manager T, General Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Good Morning oddjob66

Thank you for you recent comments, good and not so good! we continuously endeavour to improve all aspects of our business to the highest standards, I can assure you that we will succeed ! we served 247 Sunday lunches at the weekend, 85% were repeat custom, we do not serve carvery at this present time, we are monitoring our customer requests, carvery may be something that we consider for the future, every meal freshly cooked and served of which we take pride.

We Thank you for taking the time to write a very comprehensive review.

Regards

Uley
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We called here for lunch as the last visit about a year ago was really nice. Helpful staff and really nice lunch. This time the smart modern decor was as we remembered it but that was the only similarity. I ordered drinks for the 4 of us and said that as we were lunching asked if I could set up a "tab". The barman insisted that I surrender my credit card to do this, I said I'd rather not but was happy for him to "swipe" my card. That wasn't acceptable! I was informed that I would have to pay as I went as "if I didn't trust him he wouldn't trust me" My wife had ordered a ginger beer on our drinks round and was given ginger ale. When we pointed this out the comment was that most people don't know the difference. When we asked for a menu, we were told brusquely "they're over there". My wife & I ordered fish and chips and when it came the chips were soggy but the fish was really the worst I've ever had. You could only describe it as battered pap. We were the only customers on the bar and I'm really not surprised. We certainly won't be going back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Brian L
Dear Brian L

I am afraid in today' s economic climate it is Company request that when running a tab that customers credit card is required. Nevertheless I agree that our barman should not have been rude to you. which we have dealt with.I am sorry that you did not bring to our attention, that the Fish in your opinion was not exceptable, we take customer complaints very seriously,we would have replaced your meals ?

I sincerely hope that you will try us again ?

Regards

Liz Venables

Travelers are raving about these Saltash hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, we did have a problem with a strange smell in our room, we were immediately transferred to a superior room, which was lovely, the breakfasts are all freshly cooked with a good choice, with also plenty of cereal fruit tea and toast.

Room Tip: If I was in this part of the country again I would definitely stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Gloriaperrott727489, thank you for taking the time to review us, I am sorry that you had a problem with a strange smell?! I think we have rectified this problem now though. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and glad that when you are next down this way you will be staying with us. Many thanks, Ellie Venables
Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

For a room that could sleep four - two singles and bunk beds - £80 with breakfast is not unreasonable. However do not think old pub; think motel. There is plenty of parking close to the rooms but accommodation is pretty basic, but clean. Although there is a bath tub, there are no taps so you have to opt for the shower. WiFi does not cover all the rooms so opt for one near to the restaurant/reception if this is needed. The breakfast was excellent and the staff helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear John, thank you for your review on trip Advisor, we are always please to hear what our guests thought of our premise. I am sorrythat there were no taps on your bath, this seemed strange so I will check this out immediately. I am glad you you thought the prices were reasonable also. I hope you join us again very soon. Many thanks, Ellie Venables
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here as a Family. The rooms were Pre-Fab Chalets away from the main building. A Bit dated inside, but had what we needed. They are in the process of renovating the Chalets & it would be nice to what they do with the family rooms.
We ate there on the first night & we all enjoyed it very much. My Daughter is a very fussy eater & the staff accommodated her request of something that was not on the menu without any fuss.
Whilst we were Staying there, there was a Fortieth Birthday on. We saw & heard the celebrations when we went into the main building, however when we got to our Chalet & went to sleep we did not hear a thing.
Our next door visitors car's battery was flat one morning & the staff went out of their way to get a vehicle & jump leads to get it started.
This is a great place to stay & make you base or for a quick visit.
Really friendly & helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear George C, thank you so much for your kind review on here, our staff have it drilled into them that nothing is too much trouble for us so I am glad that it came across like that during your stay. We do hope that you come back again very soon. Many thanks, Ellie Venables
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltash
Crooked Inn
#7 of 21 in Plymouth
The Brunel Inn
The Brunel Inn
#11 of 11 in Saltash

Been to The Cardinals Hatt? Share your experiences!