“Changed - not what it was”
Review of Cafe Central Matlock - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Central Matlock
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Having eaten previously here I remember excellent coffee and great -food.

The places gives the impression of being under new ownership, the coffee is weak and too milky, there is no table service, very few cakes to choose from. (only one on my last visit), and sadly afterwards my clothes stank as there is quite an unpleasant 'fryer' smell to the premises.

Such a shame as the massive chunks of cake and great coffee is what I was hoping for, and I felt as if I was in a pretty tansport cafe. Such a shame.

1  Thank YorkshireMom
There are newer reviews for Cafe Central Matlock

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Me, my family and friends went to this place to have something to eat when we arrived there wasnt a friendly face in sight we managed to find a table and sat down to look at the menu, all of a sudden a lady came over and said all they were doing were cobs and then dissappeared again. To be honest we felt like we were not wanted there which I cant understand as there were 9 of us all together all wanting a meal.They had 4 members of staff on and there were 6 customers in. There was nothing written anywhere stating they were not doing meals and they had a blackboard with there specials of the day written on so we decided to have a drink and a cake as they apparently have a wide selection we got to the counter they did 2 different cup cakes and 3 different main cakes, overwhelmed by the choice I decided on cup cakes all in all terrible customer service no choice at all and very unwelcoming they seem to only cater for upper class people in suits I wouldnt use this place again if it was the last place in matlock.

1  Thank Katie W
Caddy2808, Owner at Cafe Central Matlock, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Firstly I would like to say this is an EXTREMELY narrow view!
You were told we wasn't serving hot food as we were supporting Macmillan which was all over the cafe and on the board outside!!!!
You were also told that although hot food was not available we were serving rolls and paninis and we were only charging take away prices which are significantly lower!
You also omit to say that we were giving away for FREE handmade pizza, three types of truffles, toffee, cakepops and giving you the chance to ice your own cupcake for £1 donation to Macmillan.
Macmillan is a charity close to my heart and if myself and my staff decide that we are donating prizes and some of our profits to Macmillan at the cost of serving hot food for ONE day surely this is a charitable thing to do! I always support Macmillan coffee morning and will not change to suit individuals!
And the cakes. If Victoria sandwich, fresh cream raspberry cake, fresh cream roulade, death by chocolate cake, scones with jam and clotted cream and 2 types of cupcakes is not enough for a coffee shop that seats 24 people then I'm very sorry but all the cakes are made on the premises as is the jam and I really don't have time to make anymore!!!!

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Amazing afternoon teas!
Great value for money
Looking forward to my birthday visit in a couple of weeks

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I really dont understand the comment below.. Everytime i have been in for coffee or food it has been wonderfully presented and the staff are very helpful and amazing... I have also attended a class of which was very intresting i learnt alot in the class and the owners are very friendly.. Wpuld definatly go back!!!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went to this cafe on a Groupon offer.
Firstly when we phoned to get this offer was explained it was an offer for breakfast.
We were then told we should have booked weeks ago!!!! WHY--the offers open til 28th July and doesn't say anything about that anywhere on our voucher.
Well it should have done???
After this the woman whom I was talking said she would do it this time ( great front woman )
On the voucher it stated times were 8.30 to 11am. CAN'T do that the woman said can only do up til 10am. She wasn't interested in what the voucher promises you.
Anyhow I booked said I hoped she would bear with us as we live 28 miles away.
On the day we run into every thing that could hold us up, so we were 12 mins late, WELL you would have thought the world had come to an end at 10 am
She pointed out we were late as soon as we said who we were, we said how sorry we were, she told us to sit down,
There was NO one in the place not one, so it wasn't like they were busy, thought then if this how to talks to new customers then am not surprised the place is empty.
Our breakfast was made and put in front of us, never asked if we wanted all items for breakfast or different type of eggs nothing. It was supplied and we left, still no one came in.
It was the most awful place we have ever been to in our lives, and we go all over Britain and aboard.
My advise ---- if this woman is hoping for new trade by doing this Groupon then she must change the way she is with them.
After all who buys a voucher in JANUARY and knows when they want to eat breakfast up til JULY
Very unhappy after going so far to be treated in this way. Stay clear folks.

2  Thank sandy2915