“A friendly village pub that also does really good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Lion Inn

White Lion Inn
Ranked #13 of 121 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The White Lion, a Great genuinely unique traditional British Pub, Great food and ales, real fires. Pedigree, Cumberland and and at least 3 other guests weekly, Carlsberg and the new craft lager Revisionist. Food served 5.30 to 8.30. Tues to Friday and 12 To 9 Saturday,12 to 7 Sunday
Matlock, United Kingdom
“A friendly village pub that also does really good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is a traditional family pub in a village on the edge of Matlock, with spectacular views over Matlock Bath (a great place to watch the Venetian Nights fireworks!). They know how to keep and serve beer, and always have one or more interesting guest beers on tap. The lunch and evening menus are shortish but interesting. For somewhere which doesn't pretend to be a restaurant or a gastropub, just an honest-to-goodness village pub, their meals are excellent, and their snacks are just as good. I had the spicy chicken burger today - a solid tasty piece of chicken in a bun with chips and salad - but have also had their beef burgers (excellent value and quality) and the unusual crab-and-lobster burgers. All superb. The full meals are also very good, especially the steak! The service can't be faulted - friendly and efficient even at their busiest times. Just don't try to compare it with the 'true' restaurants in these listings - it's just a pub, but one where you can eat (and drink) very well. If you want nouvelle cuisine or silver service this isn't the place for you, but if you want a friendly place to relax with a good meal and a pint, with the family and the dog, this is the place.

• Visited June 2014

Izegem, Belgium
“Dinner below expectations...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

With family and friends, 8 people in total, i had dinner in the White Lion Inn on a Thursday evening. Based on the reviews expectations were good!
Everyone took a starter, several the asparagus with hollandaise sauce.
I took the breaded mushrooms. Honestly, no taste at all with my starter.
The asparagus was not thoroughly cleaned as sand was tasted.
As main dish I took the salmon fillet: too much cooked, not juicy at all. I suspect the salmon was not fresh and prepared from a frozen piece of salmon. Same story for the tuna, my wife had chosen. Lamb cutlets were OK. Everyone complained about the chips: not crispy and dark brown.
Really below expectations.

11 Thank ChrisDessein
Derby, United Kingdom
“lovely find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Sorry should have done this before as visited a few month ago myself and my husband wanted somewhere to go for a steak after having a saturday night on our own what a find the pub is gorgeous with beautiful views of Matlock I ordered my steak medium well done but for me was not cooked enough but it was no trouble for them to take it back and cook it how I like as for the chips yum yum we will be coming back here next Saturday for my birthday and bringing our son. A gorgeous pub with lovely food and staff that nothing is too much trouble. Thankyou so much and see you next Saturday

• Visited February 2014
Matlock, United Kingdom
“A regular's viewpoint......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

As a local, I use this pub regularly both for eating and drinking. I've seen some recent bad reviews and feel that they are totally unjustified - especially as they appear to be from "one-off" visits!!
I've NEVER had a bad pint and NEVER had to complain about a meal - in fact I've had some of the best pub grub here. The chips are different - and I like them, so does my wife - at least they're home made unlike very many places.
I've seen the same people eating here regularly (me and my wife amongst them), which tells you a great deal.

Whether you're having a meal or just a drink, the staff are always friendly and attentive.
This pub is run extremely well - the management know their business and know how to look after their customers and their needs.

I gladly call The White Lion my local.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 48BWJ
Canvey Island
“Venture further down the road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Pub looks quite welcoming, the menu impressive but the food was very disapointing ie Whiby Cod was out of a packet.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank ann h
spencer s, Owner at White Lion Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
We are sorry that you found your visit to The White Lion disappointing. There does appear to be some confusion regarding your meal which might explain this. We do serve a budget meal of Cod,chips and mushy peas on our specials board, but this is in no way advertised as fresh battered Whitby Cod and is reflected in the price. We do serve a Whitby Whole tail Scampi on our Main printed menu and this is advertised as such.
If you had made us aware of your dissatisfaction then we would have been in a position to rectify this and been more than happy to do so,at the time of your visit.
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor.