“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #26 of 134 Restaurants in Matlock
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We went today 31st May for a birthday treat for tea and cakes. The menu for hot food looked to tempting so we all ordered a main meal. This was excellent food all served up on a lovely square plate. I had the Blackwell pudding as it was my birthday it was excellent as well. I must say to go there at 1445 and have such a lovely meal was great. It is well worth a visit. Thanks to the staff and chef.

1  Thank glynis_davies

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We recently stayed at a local self-catering house in Beeley and was advised that The Old Smithy was well worth a visit.
We called in on a number of ocassions for tea and cake but the best meal we had was our last breakfast. It was very fulsome and we did not need anything else to eat until the evening, it was so filling. The place does provide a number of cooked meals daily except Mondays (closed all day) but, be aware, this place is very popular with the locals and seating is sometimes at a premium. The restaurant is only open from 10.00am although the shop opens at 9.00am.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is passing by or staying in the vicinity, we certainly intend to call in on our next visit!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Called for coffee and scones. Very friendly. Service a little slow but it often is in this type of cafe. Pleasant atmosphere. Terrific scones.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The food is excellent far better than you might expect, home made cakes and scones, snacks or a more substantial cooked meal are all of a high standard. The staff are polite and friendly. The place is clean and comfortable with a wood burner in he winter, and in a very nice setting.

1  Thank Yay B
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Although the café was busy (obviously popular), we managed to find a free table and were quickly approached by a polite and attentive waitress. The food didn't take long to arrive and we certainly weren't disappointed. I had a delicious cheese scone with cream cheese and chutney, which was just right for me. The décor is clean and bright, but could maybe do with a few splashes of colour to create more of a memorable and welcoming feel - all the white had a slightly 'clinical' feel (though I know some would disagree). I'm sure we'll be back at some point!