“What an incredible place”
The Old Granary from the garden Rose clad barn
Wild flower meadow walk to the Shepherd's Hut
Lounge
Woodburning Stove
Country living style
Breakfast in the country kitchen
Rustic Style
King size bedroom
Twin Bedroom
High Summer
Stunning views
The view from the bedrooms
The view from the patio area
Sheep in the field
Jasper
Carrot the cat
Winter in Wheatcroft
Winter in Wheatcroft
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 54 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Joy B
“What an incredible place”
Reviewed June 3, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

Myself and 4 friends had the pleasure of staying at the old granary this weekend and we are all in ore of what a fantastic place it is, truly stunning location we cannot get enough of the view!

The cottage is so homely with such attention to detail, touches like lovely soft furnishings, photos of the barn transformation and OS maps for you to use, piles of books and and magazines (which they feature in a few of!)
decent knives for cooking and a snazzy coffee maker (which looked amazing but I daren’t use it! ) everything you might need in the kitchen is here,

Also the music system is piped throughout the house and is a lovely touch and enjoyed singing in the shower!

And as for Martin and Amanda they were the perfect hosts, we got friendly waves from them as we came and went if they were busy in the garden.
We had a chat with them as we came home one afternoon and we all fussed their cute doggies , they were not intrusive at all , just genuinely nice people

We LOVE It here and already thinking when we can return!

Vegainstr...
“Violent and intrusive owner”
Reviewed May 27, 2018 for a stay in April 2018
people found this review helpful

People tend to write reviews when their experience is either extremely good or extremely poor
Our motive is clearly the latter, in the hope that matters improve and such behaviour continues no more
The time invested in writing such long reviews is merely a reflection of the intensity of the grievance
Thank you for your time in reading the honest and factual accounts of our experience

So, this is a review about how our hen weekend in April got flipped-turned upside down
We had planned a modest hen weekend with walks, crafts, and picnics away from the hustle of town
We are a group of aged 30+ women with careers in marketing, health, media, education, law, and hospitality
Who were looking forward to relaxing and celebrating with a kind-hearted friend, in a place that reportedly offered some serenity

We had mistakenly included more day guests than was permitted, according to their terms and conditions
The owner Amanda’s fears were in relation to the alleged fire legislation
The number of occupants was then approved, providing there were no more than 8 guests at any one time in the house
I didn’t feel that the sandwiches or salads would spontaneously combust, maybe there was a fear that it would happen to something/body else

We happily obliged, but Amanda’s rules then suddenly changed and she confronted us with her rage
We tried to reason, but to no avail, she clearly was unable to contain her emotions by this stage
She seemed so personally offended and verbal and physical abuse is what we had to endure
And to date if I be honest, it still feels so raw

Amanda’s shouting left a young child crying and a baby visibly distressed
We didn’t raise our voices and tried to resolve the matter calmly, which we thought was best
People who had drank alcohol were being told to drive and leave
The bride to be traumatised, the day so far from what we had dreamed

Surely, she has attended hen events or has some friends who attended her own hen do
We apologised profusely and understood the matter from her point of view
But in return we received no empathy in our attempts to conciliate
A once in a lifetime hen event that was irreplaceable, ruined by what appeared to be an owner’s inability to emotionally self-regulate

We witnessed first-hand how people with beautiful things do the ugliest things
Maybe it’s true that “The people highest up got the lowest self-esteem”
The narrow windy roads to the deserted location, the mould in the bathroom plughole, and the cobwebs on the lights
Maybe were signs that something was not right

The internet connection wasn’t great also, I think there was something wrong with the wifey
It was quite a drive for a decent walk in the peaks, and the place was also quite pricey
Their odd T&C’s state they have the right to not offer the lettings or kick people out if “in their opinion” they are “unsuitable”
Permitting them to engage in all types of discrimination and leaving you vulnerable

I don’t understand how an owner who reports having pride in their business would act this way
Living next door, appearing to be watching us intrusively, as if they’ve got nothing better to do all day
The male and female owner turned up unannounced confronting women and a female child all dressed in their swimwear
We felt unsafe to stay another night, there’s only so much that people can bear

Maybe she thought we were much younger (why thanks!) and up to no good
Oh, how we would all turn back time if we could
Choose a venue where the owners are warm, welcoming, reasonable, and nice
All the effort seems to have gone into the design of the property to quote a hefty five-star price

A five-star experience in customer service this place is NOT
In all the beauty of the peak district, this is clearly an incongruous spot
I sincerely hope with more experience and self-reflection, the issues highlighted here improve
In summary, this holiday letting I sadly cannot recommend or approve

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
longmate0...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Stunning cottage, gorgeous surroundings”
Reviewed May 24, 2018 for a stay in May 2018

We came on the 11th May for a ladies weekend away. There were 6 of us in the group. The cottage is absolutely stunning, the views were amazing and it’s in a great location for lovely walks.
Inside the cottage was well equipped, very clean and and tidy. The decor inside is beautiful, with lovely attention to detail.
There are three large bedrooms, the beds are really comfortable. More than enough room for our group.
The outside area was lovely in the morning to sit and have breakfast and enjoy the view.
It was lovely to be able to enjoy the hot tub too. Really lovely, relaxing weekend. Amanda was really helpful, recommending local places to eat in the evening.

Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review for The Old Granary. So pleased you and your group enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our comfortable beds. Hope to welcome you back to The Old Granary sometime in the future.
ChrisMunr...
Newport, United Kingdom
“Breathtaking views across the valley from a lovely cottage with all amenities”
Reviewed May 21, 2018 for a stay in May 2018

The Old Grannery is situated within the grounds of a old farmhouse down a quiet country lane. On arrival the owner Amanda gave us a tour of the cottage and showed us how to use the hot tub and other amenities in the cottage. There are maps and guide books within the cottage and even a book containing local restaurant and take away menus. There are several pubs and restaurants within a short drive from here.
It is well worth getting up early one morning to watch the sun rise across the valley, the view is amazing.
We spoke to Amanda and her husband Martin several times during our stay and Martin showed us around the Shepherds Hut and his historic curved barn, which was very interesting. We found them to be very pleasant people who were eager to give us help and advice about the locality and what to see.
We shall be looking forward to making another booking at The Old Grannery.

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to review The Old Granary and your kind comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed the information about the Hut and our wonderful 16th Century Grade II Listed Cruck barn. Hope to see you again sometime in the future.
Marnie123...
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
“Tranquility”
Reviewed May 11, 2018 for a stay in May 2018

We were very lucky to find this place. The house itself is of a very high standard and beautifully presented. The location was idyllic and even though it was isolated too be able to enjoy the peaceful countryside is was located close enough to all amenities.
Amanda was a great help in many ways. She answered my million questions and also recommended a fantastic local pub within walking distance.
I would love to visit again and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of booking.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Jul 15, 2018
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Old Granary and hope to see you again sometime in the future.
RizzityFi...
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“Bullying, violence and encouragement of drunk driving!”
Reviewed April 25, 2018 for a stay in April 2018
people found this review helpful

Whilst I would like to point out the cottage has been very faithfully restored and lovingly finished; I would also like to point out that the cleanliness does let it down a little here; the downstairs WC sink plug hole was filthy with gunge and limescale. All high up decor seemed coated in dust and lampshades were also very dusty. Exposed beams were actually crusty with dirt. In addition, the WiFi was so poor I just used my own data.

However, the main issue arising from my (lack of) stay was actually Amanda. Perhaps we caught her on a very bad day, perhaps everyone else who has reviewed her positively caught her on an extremely good day. Who knows? My personal experience I shall share with you. I paid for three nights at this cottage; not a cheap rate, might I hasten to add. Through no fault of Amanda and Martin’s, I was unable to stay the Friday. I will accept that, that is my fault, I lost this money as I would have been too late to arrive. I arrived Saturday morning, thinking I’d have two nights of my stay left.

After going out for a walk, we were rang by another member of our friendship group who had travelled from London with an eight month old just for a couple of hours on this very precious moment; my friend’s hen weekend. The hen’s sister and nine year old niece were also joining for a short stay; enjoying a picnic on the lawn until 5pm. A time agreed previously with Amanda that the additional three guests & two children were able to stay until. I was unaware Amanda had purportedly told us not to be on the property at all during this picnic. Our numbers totalled eight adults, a nine year old and an eight month old baby. Amanda had said the baby did not count. That would leave, as planned & paid for, five adults from 5pm.

Shortly before 4.30, we nipped in to the hot tub to give the elder child a little experience before she went home. At this point, Amanda & Martin stormed around on to back patio demanding to speak to our Hen, saying we were devious & that we thought her stupid. We all got out, came to listen to what she had to say and I was shocked to the core by her nature. As a manager that has over 16 years’ experience in the hospitality trade I am amazed this woman is in business. You cannot, under any circumstances, be permitted to treat fellow human beings with such contempt and animosity. Her inability to reason merely taught us to regard her as immature and inexperienced. Her unacceptable behaviour continued as she screamed at us to get off her properly for deceiving her - read the other reviews, we were actually attempting to oblige her previous demands - and saying she’s stupid - words that never left our mouths. She caused such extreme upset to our nine year old attendee that she had to leave wet and cold after going in the hot tub and then being rained on given she was being screamed at to leave. This poor girl then thought herself responsible for the eviction given Amanda’s attitude. The baby also became upset and somewhat harder to console, unforgivable as Amanda knew her mum had a long car journey ahead with her. When we asked her to please stop shouting, she accused us of using the children as bargaining chips saying they were doing it on purpose. Wow.

We then pointed out that three of the six drivers of the cars had consumed alcohol, so we couldn’t leave immediately. She then said she didn’t care, she wanted us out there & then; essentially encouraging drink driving. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. After explaining that it takes longer to get out of your system that five seconds, she said we had until bed time to sober up & leave, a little more safety conscious.

May I add before I continue that not one of our party hold any malice within our souls; we may have been celebrating upcoming nuptials but this was far from a weekend of debauchery often associated with a hen party. After all, how reckless can we be when we invite a nine year old, five drivers and a baby to the party? Whilst we may have - very much accidentally - broken the terms of the cottage, this was something that could easily have been resolved through calmly speaking and adult behaviour. It was never our intention to hurt anyone’s feelings, certainly not to break any rules. We are all proud professional people, this simply is not in our nature.

Much later, it would appear that Amanda actually became physically abusive with another member of our party. We were leaving anyway, why try to beat us out the door?

As it turned out, I spent all that money for zero sleep there, merely a few hours of feeling bereft when my dear friend was bullied by a woman who seemingly lost control of herself. I was unable to stay on any of the three nights given Amanda’s attitude. She made us feel like vile humans who were there to wreck and destroy her livelihood by having a low-key hen do. Perhaps there had been occasions previously where people had flouted the rules to a more of an extreme & given we seemed polite we bore the brunt of her anger towards them? I really do think that she needs to re-evaluate her attitude if she is to continue in a customer-facing role. It clearly isn’t her forte. As a manager of any interface, you need to be able to deal with the rough and the smooth. She can clearly take credit, but she cannot deal with any bumps in the road, it seems to enrage her and this is neither professional nor effective.

I really hope Amanda feels ashamed of herself for her conduct this past weekend. She ruined a beautiful weekend for the most unassuming bride-to-be ever. She has caused - and is continuing to cause - a ridiculous amount of stress and upset to my friend who should have been able to use this weekend to finally relax after what has already been a nightmare year for her. No, apparently, it’s okay for Amanda to treat people like scum of the earth without any actual context or cause. Pitiful behaviour.

As a business I now have no respect for, I can only advise you stay away from this cottage given its female owner is such a volatile human being. Which is unfortunate, because it’s aesthetic intention is flawless.

May 13, 2018
Once again, I have covered the actual version of the weekends events in my review response to this groups booking regarding the over occupancy. The accusations contained within this review are extremely troubling in so far as slander including encouragement of drink driving which in no way was the case, we in fact said that the group were welcome to stay until the Sunday morning, however the group chose to leave the same night by 10pm contradicting this accusation. It is disappointing that this group had complete disregard to our requests concerning the over occupancy and continue in their mission following speaking to them on several occasions. We are a small, family run business and are extremely proud of our guest comments and reviews. Above all, we think the spirit of The Old Granary needs to be taken into consideration and not trampled on, but it was all your choice and all we did were to suggest alternatives which fell on deaf ears. If you take time to read the the reviews we have gathered the message is very clear. It saddens me that you did not understand our philosophy and you now feel the need to write fabricated long reviews that perhaps bring joy to your muse but that are untrue. It is very unfair and highly incorrect of you to make us look incompetent and highly strung owners, when we run a very successful business with much passion.
clareloui...
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“The owners anger and physical violence was totally unacceptable”
Reviewed April 23, 2018 for a stay in April 2018
people found this review helpful

This property was booked by another member of a party, of which six persons were booked for staying over at the residency, paid for in advance for a total of three nights. Due to a misunderstanding on our part by the booker not reading the terms and conditions, another two adults, one with a 9 year old child and another with an 8 month old baby came for a picnic at the property on the Saturday afternoon, after the first evening of only 4 people staying at the venue. The mother and her 8 month old child arrived before we returned from a walk and therefore asked the owners to be let in. She was advised they were insured for no more than 8 occupancy of the property and discussed with Amanda who lead her to believe that if we were in the garden this was amenable, but no more than 8 were allowed in the actual barn at any one time. The hen of our group on arriving back went and talked with the owner. They then refused to allow the picnic to take place and asked us to have it elsewhere, being a hot day and the baby already being in the car for a long journey we tried to reason with them to no avail. The mother of 9 year old decided as the numbers were an issue to scope out nearby if anywhere was walkable distance to uproot. She went in her car to do so and was tailgated by the owner(s) in their own vehicle! She returned after finding no where suitable, as the property is gated and she didn't have a key fob to get back in she parked on the road and walked in, she was confronted by Amanda to ask what she was doing and politely explained. We decided for people to leave the property in pairs to keep the numbers within the allowed amount once everyone had eaten, the extra persons being a 9 year old and 8 month old baby we didn't want to upset, nor spoil the day for the hen, and they were leaving in two hours anyway and only 5 were staying overnight in the property that evening. The mother of the 8 month old after feeding solid food, breast feeding, and changing nappy started to get their things together, as did the mother of the 9 year old while her 9 year old, had a go in the hot tub with 3 other guests, including the hen, her auntie. At this point Amanda and her husband came over, conveniently around 15 minutes before 5pm when she was told both mothers and children would be leaving, asking to speak with the hen. She became immediately very aggressive and shouting saying we were over occupancy and more people were using the property than covered by the insurance, we explained we understood from previous conversation we could be in the garden but not in the house and tried to reason with her that the mother and the baby were just leaving, and we had misunderstood but she continued to shout, threaten to call the police and scared the baby and the 9 year old was on floods of tears, having had to get out of the hot tub and having to leave without even being able to dry off or get changed and she also needed the toilet, she left with her mother and one of the other guests who was getting a lift back with them. Wet and cold stood in towels and swim wear 3 of us and one clothed who had not been in the hot tub, were discussing calmly repeatly asking Amanda to calm down and stop shouting so we could try to resolve the situation, her husband stood by, when contributing was far more reasonable, but she didn't care about upsetting the children and actually said we were using them as an excuse. And that people had been sneaking in and out of the venue and she continually said we were liars and they had been monitoring us on the cctv, and that they had counted 11 people and we had moved the car to try to fool them, and the mother was sneaking in when she ran to the car to get her daughter's swimsuit, and was walking around the area so we were not over numbers, again this all was explained to Amanda in person when the mother was confronted by her. Later she also divulged that they heard us talking about footpaths we could hide/use on cctv outside the barn by the hot tub, all misunderstood and fabricated by Amanda, we had discussed sitting on footpaths to have a picnic, it was a quiet picnic in the peaks, a non rowdy hen do never intended to cause any issues. They had been watching us all day on cctv monitoring us she told us. She demanded we give back the keys and leave at once, others already forced to leave abruptly and without goodbyes, and very upset children, never being witness to shouting and behavior like this in their lives, deeply distressing to all our party. The driver of one of the vehicles we had at the venue had drank two glasses of processco, being her hen party, and the only other person not driving their own car or with a license had also drank a glass and a half so we advised we couldn't currently, they said we could pack up, sober up and go, repeatly shouting do you think we are stupid and you are over occupancy, refusing to listen to our apologies and us trying to resolve the situation. we advised that units of alcohol take a longer time than that to leave the body, so she said well you will be gone by bed time and stormed off, also refusing to pay us any money back for the two nights we wouldn't be allowed to use. The day utterly ruined and all of us left completely shocked. We began to pack up and get ready to leave, showering after hot tub and packing away the pre made food and cakes for the picnic, brought to venue by the guests. Two members of the now 5 person party went around to try to reason again and see if we could stay. Amanda refused to come talk to us but the husband listened and said he would speak to her after dinner. We waited over an hour, possibly two, having to cancel taxi and dinner reservations and lose our deposits on these. Two of us went around to find out the decision, they said they had text, but due to us having limited signal this hadn't come through yet, but we could stay until 9am the next morning with no refund for the day and night we couldn't use. As we were planning, the 5 of us to go out, and by this time being around 9pm we decided this was unfair, and decided to leave due to all the awful experience, feeling our privacy invaded, and not trusting what Amanda would do while we were out, to and stay elsewhere at extra cost and upheaval. After packing the cars around 9:30pm we parked outside the gates and went to try one last time, while returning the keys to reason with them, and get some money back as we had paid around £700 for the property and was a lot for us to lose. Myself and another asked if we could come in, on the husband agreeing we stepped up on to the door step just inside the door and talked at length calmly and maturely with the husband, until Amanda, listening in the kitchen came out shouting again saying we had come back to demand money and wouldn't listen or discuss anything, she then slammed the door repeatly against the other girl I had gone to talk to them with until we stepped back and she slammed the door in our face. Whatever the misunderstandings on our part over vague terms and conditions no one should treat other human beings in this way, utterly disgusting, violent and physically and verbally abusive behavior. We are all in total shock. A once in life time event ruined for all involved.

May 13, 2018
Please see my previous review response which goes into detail and covers the over occupancy issues related with this booking.

Amanda
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing