“Camra Pub of the Year - not just good beer!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of MoCa Bar

MoCa Bar
Ranked #18 of 122 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Best real ale selection in Matlock,and tasty bar snacks and meals
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Camra Pub of the Year - not just good beer!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Having done The Heights of Abraham with my elderly Mum we needed somewhere for a late lunch, as we drove through the High Street my husband's gaze was drawn to the sign saying "Camra Pub of the Year", however experience has taught me that this does not always mean it is good ay anything other than beer.
It was 3pm on a Friday afternoon so we were unsure whether food would be available but we welcomed and assured it was.
I am always encouraged by a small menu as this indicates freshly prepared food & we were not disappointed on any front. Three assorted toasted sandwiches were ordered and soon received. All accompanied by fresh salad, homemade coleslaw and tortilla chips. The sandwiches, our accompanying beer & Pimms were all delicious. The bar is bright, nicely decorated, comfortable & clean. We could not fault out visit and would highly recommend it. The pub itself looks quite big from the outside but is deceiving so it may get very busy in the evenings & at weekends.

2 Thank Posh100
Sharne C, Owner at MoCa Bar, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing us and for your review. Just one little thing, we are the CAMRA pub of the year 2013 as chosen by Matlock and Dales CAMRA members and we are pleased to be a nominee for 2014.

Derby, UK
“An interesting concept that works well”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Called in at lunchtime while hiking through Matlock. Had read about the bar in various Real Ale publications and was keen to try it out.
First impression was good - it's clean, looks like a coffee shop and has menus on the table and a specials board. Food was typically soup, paninis, sandwiches and a few specials with typical prices £3 - 5.
Beer was as expected - i.e. an excellent choice of many of my favourite breweries and the beers I tried were well-kept. It was a Tuesday lunchtime and all beers were £2.50 a pint.
What I liked about the concept was that it seems like a coffee shop and my wife, who's not always keen on some pubs we visit when hiking, enjoyed the food and the coffee, while I was able to enjoy the beer (and the food). It offers very good value for money and its one of the few places we've visited where we've come away wondering how come the bill was so low?
One suggestion for improvement - to encourage us to stay longer at lunchtime why not provide a couple of daily newspapers or an up-to-date magazine?

1 Thank kmr1809
Sharne C, Owner at MoCa Bar, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your review and for your suggestion - we are giving it a try.
York, United Kingdom
“Super friendly bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stopped in MoCa on a very wet day whilst on holiday in the area and it was a great choice. The girls serving were very friendly and helpful and the bar itself was super. We both had soup, I wasn't keen on the main choice on offer (tomato and basil as i'm not a fan of tomato soup), but one of the girls checked if there was any others available - there was and it (broccoli and stilton) was delicious - so 2 good choices as my husband loved his. It was a lovely place to get warm, enjoy good food and a couple of drinks and a good choice!

Matlock Bath, United Kingdom
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

My friend & I popped in for a glass of wine yesterday. It was very empty just one other person at the bar. We ordered a bottle of wine which was pricey compared to what were charged else where. This we can over look as we didn't look at the price list 1st. What I can not over look is the rude, aggressive and out right obnoxious bar maid who served my friend and I. The women went out of her way to have an argument with us. No wonder there was no one in if the other customers are meeted & greeted in this way. May be this was a one off and our faces didn't fit ? On reflexion I'm pleased this happened to us local people to Matlock than a visitor to our lovely town. There are nicer, friendlier, cheaper places to go in Matlock than here.

Sharne C, Owner at MoCa Bar, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
As owners of MoCa, we would like to thank our staff for dealing with this customer in a calm and professional manner, despite personal provocation. We believe we offer an excellent service in a friendly environment. Why not call in and find out for yourself?
Middleton, United Kingdom
“an oasis in a town that lacks quality pubs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Pubs in matlock and matlock bath are second rate.moca bar easy the best with great real ales real prices and real bar staff who are efficient and smart. Well run clean and friendly .REAL characters here such as john the dissapearing butcher and a smart foreigner who thinks hes al capone. not to be missed middleton geoff