“Really good fun”

Crich Tramway Village
Ranked #1 of 51 things to do in Matlock
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Derbyshire’s award-winning family attraction lets you enjoy unlimited tram rides in a recreated village street along the mile-long track to breathtaking views. Plus play areas, shops, tea-rooms and 30,000 square feet of indoor attractions. A relaxing day out for all ages! Please note we are closed until Saturday 17th March 2018. Please check our website for 2018 opening times as they vary according to the season.
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We visited early in the day out of season and it was fairly quiet when we arrived, but beginning to get busy as we left. The first thing that struck us was how clean and well maintained the whole place is. It was lovely to see the restored buildings and then later find out how many of them were rescued from demolition. We started off with the display on the history of the trams which was interesting, working through the development from horse-drawn to electric. We then took a tram ride, enjoying the fantastic views.
The woodland walk was lovely, and we enjoyed finding the sculptures.
The visit to the workshop viewing gallery was interesting (and we played with the kids displays), then had a ride on the other tram that was running on the day we visited.
Really good fun - well worth a visit, and the ticket is good for entry for twelve months which makes it great value.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Over-priced for what was on offer. Number of buildings closed. The trams were good although they travelled little distance.

3  Thank George H
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just riding up and down on the Blackpool Trams I remember from my youth was a pleasure in itself but with so much else to see and do, a full day nearly wasn't enough.

We went on an enthusiasts Sunday which had a Glasgow theme and apart from the ex Glasgow trams, the 'Skirl of the Pipes' was frequently heard lamenting the days of old when Scotsmen were bold and boxer shorts weren't invented.

It was a great day out for the whole family and even the Derbyshire weather played it's part in making our day something special. The woodland walk was a delight and the pot of tea and a sit down on the terrace of the cafe was a welcome break from all that walking.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

On a cold and breezy day in September riding a vintage tram was an experience not to be missed All the volunteers did a professional job and we had the added attraction of many vintage Vw's.
The ticket price was very reasonable and the added bonus it was valid for one year (so you can return as many times as you like)

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Crich Tramway Village filled all of my requirements. The youngest guest was 6 weeks old and the oldest was 82. I had to find a venue for puchchairs,wheelchairs, dogs and people of all ages and I did not want a buffet and disco type party. The people at Crich were so helpful. I had a VIP day package and my guests (48 of them) got in at a reduced rate. Firstly we had a guided tour which was very interesting. Then we had lunch in the tea rooms. I chose jacket potatoes with several fillings as I had friends who required vegetarian options and there were several young children in the party. This came with tea, coffee and orange juice. Then I conducted a tram with all my guests on it (it was the end of Sept. so not the height of the season and the staff suggested this, as an extra treat)
We had some free time to wander around the nature trail or sit and watch the trams go by and finally ended the day with tea & birthday cake (suppplied my me) back at the tea rooms.
My party lasted for 7 hours and went in a flash. Everyone enjoyed it - you don't need to be "into" trams to get something out of your visit..
A young lady who was 9 also had her birthday there on the same day and we both had our names written on the tram stops and notice boards, with Happy Birthday messages as well - which was a nice touch.
My friends all say it was the best alternative birthday party they had been to. A lot of us are intending to keep going back as we had such a good time.