“Not as good as it used to be”
Review of PeliDeli

PeliDeli
Ranked #4 of 14 Coffee & Tea in Matlock
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Description: We are a family run modern british coffee shop. We serve high quality local produce so that we can be sure of the provenance of our food. We offer Salads, Sandwiches, Paninis, Sharing Platters, Quiche, Smoothies, Juices and of course, Barista made coffee (We compete in the UK Barista Championships)We are family friendly and welcome hikers and cyclists. We aim to offer great service to back up the whole experience.
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Went in for lunch but service wasn't what it used to be , tables needed clearing and staff not smiling.

Mike B, Owner at PeliDeli, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Hi Linda

We are really sorry to hear you feel we are no longer what we used to be. I wish you would be able to take back your review when you understand why, but I understand that its all about the experience at the time and what happens to us behind the counter should never cross the counter and affect the experience at Peli.

I'm guessing you came at approx 2.30 - 3.30 on the day in question. Just after a really busy lunch shift when we all sat down to grab a bit of lunch when the shop was still half full but the lunch time rush was waning. It's great to stop, just for a minute when its busy, but we always feel bad that when we do take 15 mins out to eat and everyone else filters out that it leaves the pots to be cleared. Yes, I know its not professional to have this happen, but sometimes we just need to recharge.

I'm also sorry that you felt we weren't smiling either, Martin was in pain due to a back condition that really was hurting on the day....but he soldiers on bless him - but it does take away his smile on occasion.

The staff are always happy, the food always high quality and the service is always as snappy as we can possibly be. There are a few times, and only a few, where we miss our consistent high standards that we are well known for and you happened to hit it at the moment it slipped.

Martins back is now feeling a little better, we are all fed, and the pots were cleared as soon as we got back to work after eating.

Again, apologies, we do hope you come back.....next time tell us to cheer up and clear up...... we would be able to assist/explain immediately, rather than have to do it in a very public forum that is potentially damaging to business.

I hope its not put you off of us though.........?

See you soon.

Mike

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I am so sad I have been two days in a row for lunch with chums from work who had never been before!! Tragedy! Five of us, couple of jacket pots- delish. Sharing ploughmans- very well received and a panini. I had the ginger and fruit smoothie that looks like pond water(sorry) but is magical and the rest had coffees. They thought it was great and we will be back again and again, I recommend it to folks all the time because it has a great atmosphere and the food speaks for itself!

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

As a local and regular visitor to Peli Deli i cant recommend it enough. The service and food is always great, nice atmosphere. Lots of menu choices. A must visit for lunch.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

As a regular and local user, PeliDeli never lets me down. I like the loyalty card, especially when it gets you a free coffee for completing a line and more especially, a sandwich & coffee for a full house. Ask about the weekly guest coffee and Mike Blair, the owner, can then show off his genuine expertise and knowledge of the products he sells. The staff are equally enthusiastic, and take lots of care to present food & drinks in an attractive, mouth-watering way; which is obviously gleaned from the infectious(in the nicest possible way) Mike. There's always a smiley "Hello" welcome from all the staff and they make time to have a chat when possible. However, be warned - if you dare to "GO LARGE" - you need to prepare for what your eyes will be about to feast on!!!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

One of my favourite places to visit in Matlock. All of the waiters (and the owner!) are very friendly, the coffee is made to perfection and the food is fantastic!