“You don't always get what you pay for”
Review of The Green Way Cafe

The Green Way Cafe
Ranked #5 of 130 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: British, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: The Green Way Cafe is a lovely, family run, vegetarian cafe based in the centre of Matlock, Derbyshire. We are offering something a little bit different to the run of the mill cafes around, everything we do is homemade, creating imaginative and delicious veggie food, with some vegan options. We serve leaf teas, freshly ground coffee, hot chocolates, cold drinks, delicious homemade soups with our amazing homemade bread rolls, deli selections - homemade pates and cheeses, a delicious choice of homemade savoury dishes in 2 portion sizes, and yummy homemade cakes. We aim to provide a warm, relaxing and friendly atmosphere which is child friendly with our Family Room and also our relaxing Main dining room. Our opening times are Mon-Sat 11am-4pm and Friday evening 6pm-10pm. We serve food 11.30am - 3pm, and 6-9pm on Fri evenings. We don't take any bookings. Our menu changes every week influenced by fresh, seasonal, local produce. We use organic and fair-trade products wherever possible.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place is exceptional for the money. It makes the horror of vegetarian cuisine not just acceptable, but actually something enjoyable. It has no regular menu, but changes things all the time. What you eat here for £7 is light years ahead of other places in terms of quality. The chef is a nice guy and is more than happy to share recipes with you - I even had a go at making his butternut squash and beetroot pate, and it worked!
Bring your own booze in the evenings and in summer sit outside where they grow herbs, it's a little oasis in the hubbub of Matlock and the A6.
Don't turn your noses up at the thought of going to a purely vegetarian restaurant, I used to laugh at the veggie options on menu's and to be frank, I was mostly right. this place is worth finding and eating in.

3  Thank MoreInHope
Rose D, Public Relations Manager at The Green Way Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our cafe :) I am really pleased that you love it as much as we do. I hope the soup turned out well :) See you soon!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My friend/colleague has been to the Greenway Café several times & suggested lunch there today, as we were working in Matlock. I'm not vegetarian & neither is she, but I could happily forgo meat every day if I could eat here - the food was sublime! Everything appeared to be home made - I opted for the 'small salad', which was full of colour with fresh leaves & alfalfa shoots & also included avocado & grapes. Several different portion sizes available too - what great idea! My menu choice incuded 2 items from the list on the chalkboard - I chose carrot & cashew nut paté & a generous slice of camembert. My friend had a dish of herby olives plus a beetroot & butternut squash paté with hers. Our meals included 2 warm wholemeal rolls each - delicious! Flavours were excellent & the food was beautifully presented - it wasn't 'just a salad'. The menu also included home made soups & main courses like veggie shepherd's pie with beetroot mash. Vegan options are clearly indicated on the menu too.

We washed it down with lashings of ginger beer - so all in all,a pretty perfect lunch! For the 2 of us, it was just £15, so great value too. With great difficulty we managed to resist the range of homemade cakes & slices - especially after the small dish of crudités & hummous we were given prior to our meal!

This small café is very friendly & welcoming, & appears to be family run. It has 2 rooms for customers, one of which is a family room with large table / bench style seating - this was very casual with toys for children to spread out & play with and is across the corridor from the 'normal' café room. What a good idea! I understand they also open occasional evenings, when you can take your own wine.

This place really sets a high standard & I will be back soon!

4  Thank MrsP48

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our cafe :) I am really pleased that you love it as much as we do. Really pleased that you love our exciting and different salad so much too. See you soon!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We visited today for lunch. I've been vegetarian since I was 4 and these types of places are so few and far between.

Upon arrival we were given a choice of where to sit and opted for the garden which is a lovely sun trap. The menu board was bought outside and I had a difficult time choosing from the options. As a veggie I'm used to not having an option on a menu!

We had the butternut squash with polenta triangles and salad. The salad was unlike anything I've had before - it was varied with lettuce, grapes, strawberries, peach, avacado, carrot, red cabbage to name but a few! Whatever they dress it with is incredibly tasty. Even my boyfriend who isn't a big salad fan ate it!

The casserole itself was delicious. I've never tasted anything like it....when I think of casserole I think vegetables in gravy but this was thick, beautifully seasoned and full of butternut squash. The polenta triangles were perfectly cooked - one was sage flavoured and the other plain.

We finished off with lemon cake which was yummy.

The service was excellent - friendly and efficient.

We will definitely return.

3  Thank Vickyandy0901

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our cafe :) I am really pleased that you love it as much as we do. Glad that you loved your salad and casserole, as veggies ourselves we know how great it is to go somewhere and have full choice from the menu :) Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We visited The Green Way Cafe recently. It's off the main high street slightly up a hill.There is a cashpoint just before the cafe which is very handy.

The cafe was very clean.

The drinks menu was well priced. We chose nettle and elderflower cordials which were very nice.

On the menu chalk board there were about 3 soups and 4 main courses to choose.

In addition there were cakes and scones and other delights on offer from their menu.
There were also gluten free and many vegan choices to choose from.

On reading the menu we felt impressed to discover that there was a choice of portion sizes, obviously ; small, medium, or large and the price reflected accordingly what a great idea.

We had cashew and sunflower seed roast with butternut squash layer with redcurrant sauce.
Whilst we waited we were given a small plate of vegetable flavoured crisps,vegetables and corn chips with a hummous dip, this was a pleasant surprise and thoughtful.
Our order soon arrived. It came with a luscious and cleverly flavoured salad. It was so delicious, one of those meals that you dont want to ever end.

For dessert I chose an ample slice of chocolate sandwich cake with vegan buttercream type icing, and my partner had an apple and almond cake.
They were fantastically tasty.
The service was second to none.Also the chef seemed very pleasant with a peaceful vibe about him which leant to a very nice atmosphere.

It really was a Diamond find and we are looking forward to going back whenever we return to Matlock.

4  Thank Aurthur B

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our cafe :) I am really pleased that you love it as much as we do. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Greenway opened up especially for dinner as part of my hen do. Every one raved about how amazing the food was and Greenway even printed a special menu for us all. The food not only tasted divine but was beautifully presented. Lots of photos were taken of the dishes. The attention to detail was apparent and I can't have imagined a nicer place for dinner with my best friends. Thank you so much. Can't wait to come again soon.

3  Thank Abigail S

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our cafe :) I am really pleased that you love it as much as we do. I am glad that you enjoyed your hen do evening at the cafe :)