“ok. but not brilliant.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thailand No. 1

Thailand No. 1
Ranked #25 of 121 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“ok. but not brilliant.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

9/10 service
10/10 speed of service
3/10 food
price 6/10

Being a connoisseur of Thai food, and trying a different Thai restaurant in London every week or two, was quite disappointed with this restaurant. Starters were fine, but main course was just a little bland. Wife had a very bad reaction to *something* in the food, though as we shared the same dishes and I was fine, it would be unfair to state that the re was anything wrong with the food.. it just wasnt very exciting. Would not bother going again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Mike R

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Service with a capital S”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Fabulous service, attentive staff, excellent menu. Worth searching this one out, read the menu with regard to the heat/spicyness of the dishes. Best Thai I have eaten in the UK.

• Visited October 2012
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Fishy.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I recently ate here with a party of eleven as part of a complicated series of birthdays which overlapped and dragged out like the queens.
I haven't really eaten much in the way of thai food so bear that in mind when reading on...

The restaurant is quite "opulent" looking when you first go inside and the owners have appeared to have thai'dy'd (geddit..) up the place really well - lovely thai wall mural behind the small bar. We ate upstairs and were completely crammed in in too small an area for eleven, which was a poor start - another set of cutlery and more squashing together had to be organised even though we had booked for the exact number who turned up. But not as poor as our waitress's English.....she was quite pleasantly brusk in a "you don't like it? I dare you!" way, and was obviously struggling with the native lingo but, to her credit (and despite several mutterings and sighs under her breath in her own fair tongue) she managed to take our orders fairly efficiently.
The food - well, like I said, I don't eat much thai food, don't really know why...perhaps it's because it's not a popular cuisine in the dales? My thai crispy fish came presented on a large fish-shaped silver dish above a candle burner...all very theatrical...I was looking forward to eating it, but then I ate it....
The sauce was from a generic sweet chilli sauce bottle, heated up with some shredded unfathomable vegetables in it. The fish itself was battered but so greasy that I felt sick after eating half of it and gave the rest to my partner. Before I get reported for spousal cruelty, she wolfed it down because her own meal was so tiny that she was sitting staring straight ahead with a tear in her eye and wishing she had suggested somewhere else to eat. Her thai prawn dish was bland and mean and the £7.50 "special" noodles (which three of our party had ordered to share thinking that "£7.50 is going to be a big side dish of noodles") she managed to get two mouthfuls of, were quite clearly the best "mark up" joke in catering history. Also, "special" in this case meant the inclusion of.....egg. That was it! My coconut rice was ok but someone else's didn't actually taste of coconut.
I suspect the presence of large amounts of pre-cooked food and lots of microwaves, our order for eleven took fifteen minutes to arrive even though the restaurant was packed! But the finishing piece of evidence was when, during ordering, one of our party asked if her dish could be changed slightly, it was a simple dish, the answer..."No!".

I don't think I'll be going back. Perhaps Thai no1 is a true reflection of thai food? Perhaps I'm not naturally drawn to thai food? Perhaps my partner and I were in the middle of a nervous breakdown? Whatever it was, I was still feeling like throwing up an hour later.

• Visited September 2012
cheshire
“Excellent service, delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed two lovely meals here recently, the food was amazing and the service excellent, this would be a regular for me if I lived in the area, the best Thai food I have ever tasted.

Derbyshire
“Consistently Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have visited Thailand No. 1 a few times now and it has become one of our favourite restaurants in the area. It is around a half an hour drive for us, but is certainly worth making the journey. The atmosphere is great, it is beautifully decorated and always busy. The food is superbly presented, consistently delicious and they can alter the heat of the dishes to suit your taste. Some of the reviews complain about the food being bland; I would say that you have to be careful what you choose. In my opinion, they cater for everyone's tastes very well indeed. At the end of the meal, you are serve customised Thailand No. 1 chocolates; they are so tasty, we always ask for more!

• Visited August 2012