“Good value home cooked food”
Review of The Duke William

The Duke William
Ranked #72 of 126 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Belper, Derbyshire
“Good value home cooked food”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We ate here last Friday as a group of four, not busy but it was early. It started livening up around eight for the evening entertainment. We ordered mains and desserts, one steak, one homemade pie and two shredded pork. The pork was excellent, masses of it with beautiful gravy, homemade chips and peas. My husband enjoyed his steak and I am certain by the speed the homemade pie disappeared that my stepson enjoyed his too. We all ordered dessert, the cheese and biscuits was plentiful and we ordered two chocolate fudge cakes. Unfortunately my cake came out with cream that was clearly sour and past best. I sent it back but got no apology just the waitress said that it had only just been opened so it could not be off. However, I know off cream when I taste it! I did get a fresh slice with fresh cream so all was well again, but they need to consider how they deal with complaints. A short "sorry about that, I'll sort that for you" would suffice. The landlord is a very genial host and we will definitely go back

Visited September 2013

“Superb traditional pub grub”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Traditional pub offering English pub grub, generous portions, very tasty, well cooked and served with a smile and friendly banter.

Nothing too much trouble, good value for money, great for relaxed family mealtimes.

• Visited July 2013
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
“Great Pub with secluded small campsite”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent a weekend here with a lot of friends, the welcome was superb and we all had a great time on the Saturday night with a bit of live entertainment. Food was great, a bit slow cos they were busy, not an issue. Good real ales. Campsite is well situated for walking into Matlock, (turn left out of the pub cross the road. Pic Tor lane) either by the High Tor route with spectacular views, cliff edges and a scary footpath (off the main path, you don't have to take it) that has a one way system due to the drop. Take the Pic Tor route for an easier walk, still lovely views, Campsite has limited facilities, one shower in the disabled loo, one male and one female toilet, It is though a gem, and if you didn't know it was there you'd never find it :-) We'll be back , Oh ,, If you're a light sleeper, camp at the back of the field, church clock bells starts at 5am and every 15 mins after !!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Andy E
“Lovely landlord, bad ploughman's.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I was met with a lovely warm welcome from the landlord who was very helpful when serving me. The food unfortunately was not up to scratch. I ordered a ploughman's. I asked about the cheeses they used because I'm unable to have certain cheeses at present. The landlord reassured me that his wife would talk to me about this. This encounter was not a patch on that with the landlord. She appeared disinterested and sounded a little irritated with my request. The food arrived and my heart sank. I'd been really looking forward to a green crispy salad with pickles and crusty bread. The lettuce was iceberg with no green showing, only the white core which was clumped together and not very crisp, the peppers were wrinkly and bendy and the pickled onions tasted like they'd been kept too long. The butter was all melted inside the packet, despite this being a cold meal. I sent it all back explaining very pleasantly that I was dissatisfied with the salad, it was taken back and then returned, no apology given, but the same pieces of pepper were still present and the amount of lettuce on the plate had more than halved. I took it back again asking for something better. It came out again with very little change. I gave up with my attempts to sort this out. I had a nibble at the bit of ham they had put on and took a nibble from the enormous slab of cheddar and after putting the pepper slice into my mouth and finding it just squish inside my mouth rather than crunch my knife and fork went down. It was priced at just over £8.00, maybe almost £9.00. I almost asked them if they would be happy with what they had served if they were paying at a different pub. I decided not to make any more attempts to discuss my disappointment because I was with my friends set up for a good night at the karaoke. The karaoke was excellent. The landlord was too, just a need for some better people skills behind the scenes and maybe a little empathy when serving food, asking 'would I pay £8 + for this?' I will go back because other people seem to say great things about the food and I guess everyone has their off days. :)

• Visited June 2013
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great homecooked pub food”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went as a family of 4 early evening so the pub had only 4 other people dining. Lanlord was very welcoming & happy to chat about the menu & explain which dishes were homemade etc. Homemade lasgne was a very good pub version & the homemade turkey & ham pie was very tasty. Kids meals were good value & nice to see a kids lasagne which is a rarity & one my son loved. Extensive menu to suit all tastes & would definately return if we are in the area again. One gripe - the puddings were too big!!!

• Visited May 2013