“Comfortable,warm and quiet.”
Review of Ellen House

Ellen House
Ranked #8 of 53 Matlock B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed one night on a sightseeing trip to Chatsworth house.
Lovely twin room with ensuite bathroom. Anne's homemade flapjacks were waiting for us on the tea and coffee tray. Don't miss them,they are in the biscuit jar. I would have stayed another night just to have some more of these.
Johns breakfast was perfectly cooked with little extras like cheese topped mushroom and Potato dish,something a bit like Dauphinois. Fresh fruit to start and Anne's sisters award winning jams and marmalades to finish. My friend said she found the cooked breakfast a bit small but it was quality over quantity. Forgot to say at the beginning,very comfy bed. We had a room at the front and it was very quiet and I'm a light sleeper.

Room Tip: This was an ensuite twin room at the front of the house on the first floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us. We are so glad to hear that you were pleased with our room. John does take great care with his breakfast, and we use sausages and bacon from our local award winning butcher (and of course free range eggs!). Our amazing range of home made jams and marmalades are also very popular with our guests. So sorry to hear your friend's comment, please come back soon so that we can rectify that.
Anne & John

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Another lovely stay at this fantastic bed and breakfast. The weekend went too quickly! John's Eggs Benedict was beautiful, I shall definately have this again next year! Thank you Anne for the muffins on Saturday, they was lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us again and for posting such a lovely review. I have warned John that he must get ready to do his Eggs Benedict on a daily basis when you move in! Hoping to see you again next year.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

So many wonderful things to say about Ellen House. Location was perfect to village center, to the rail station and both bus stops, so no rental car is even needed. (The bus stop at the Co-op Grocery Store offers frequent and easy, easy access to Chatsworth). Also, the house had access to two different trails (Limestone Way, Derwent Valley Heritage Trail). I took the Derwent river trail from Darley Dale right to the street leading up to Ellen House.

Anne had left some fudgy, homebaked cookies for my arrival, and the room was lovely, and so comfortable. Bath was ensuite, with a bathtub, and everything was very clean and well-maintained. Rooms were very quiet.

My breakfast order was put in the night before, and John made a wonderful vegetarian breakfast for me (oatcakes with various garden veggies). Even the jams were made by Anne’s sister and were wonderful. I'm trying to remember the quirky combination of fruits, and wish I would've written it down. (But it was delicious.)

For my one night there, I explored the village, and had dinner at the Thorntree Inn up the hill in the village. A little under a mile, but up a very steep hill which offers great views enroute. Wednesdays is “Pie Night” and I got there early. Once there, the people were extraordinarily friendly to me, and I was invited to sit with a couple of the locals.

John and Anne are lovely, warm people and I had a lovely time at their b&b. A great place to stay, and I thought the rate was wonderful for the experience I received.

Room Tip: A great b&b, especially if you don't want to rent a car. Rail station and bus stations offe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

What a lovely review, thank you very much! We are indeed situated in a very convenient spot, close to everything but on a quiet road. We do try to offer our vegetarian and vegan guests something different and have a menu with several choices. Do not feel bad if you can't remember all Adri's jams, there are too many to remember as she is constantly on the look out for new combinations! So glad you enjoyed your stay in Matlock, we also think it is a lovely place!

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I came here for a getaway with my boyfriend. I can honestly say we have never felt so welcome anywhere. Anne and John were so welcoming and polite, taking time to speak to us and get to know us. Our room was lovely and spacious, very clean and felt like a home from home. Every day we were left little home baked goods in our room which we felt was such a nice personal touch.

Every breakfast we were treated to fruit and home made crumbles, as well as home made jams and marmalades. The cooked breakfasts were healthy and fuelled you up for the day. Safe to say we loved the grilled mushrooms with Stilton cheese!

The location is excellent, a less than five minute walk from the station/Sainsburys, yet it is a quiet location off the main road. The village shops and restaurants were a short walk away too.

We cannot wait to come back here again next year. It was simply beautiful. Thank you, John and Anne.

Steph and Bonn x

• Stayed: September 2013
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

A lovely review, thank you very much! I am lucky to have a sister who makes my jams and marmalades, and our bacon and sausages come from our local butcher who recently won the best local producer award, so we know our products are top quality. My crunchies are always a crowd pleaser and what can I say about John's mushrooms, they are so popular I have promised to include them in a recipe book when we retire! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, you were lovely guests and it will be great to have you back again.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Everything about this place is top quality: The rooms are very high standard with great attention to detail; the breakfasts are a gastronomic feast; and Anne and John are the perfect hosts. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your recommendation. We do try hard to maintain our high standards. We are so glad that the breakfasts were a hit, we add something new to the menus from time to time so that returning guests can have something new to look forward to - that is if we can pursuade them to change from their favourites!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Full marks here! What a fantastic wellcome and the feeling of being part of the family persists. As a Dutchman I could speak my language and they could understand me and the other way around. The rooms are fine and everywhere those African artifacts in furniture and fittings (I had the "Ilanga"room (ilanga). John & Anne run the place and breakfast is John's specialty. You won't regret and you'll never forget staying with them.

Room Tip: On the backside (Ilanga-room) you can oversea their vegetable garden/market garden and you see the s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest and we are glad you were able to speak your home language and be understood! Our home does show our African roots as all rooms have at least one piece of furniture or art that we brought over with us from South Africa (even the rooms have Zulu names). It is pleasing to know that you appreciate the character of our house.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed at Ellen House each Chatsworth Show weekend for the last decade. When Ruth, the original landlady, left to care for her father, we were a bit concerned that whoever took the B&B on would not match up, we shouldnt have worried, John and Anne are fantastic hosts, always chatty and welcoming, they keep the house and garden in superb condition, Also John makes the most scrumptious breakfasts.
The view from the garden takes in the castle and lots of wildlife, most amusing is the squirrel which nicks all the birds nuts, much to Johns disdane.
The house is well situated as a base for wider exploring and a stones throw from the railway station, this also encompasses the Peak Steam rail line.
Great place and great people

Room Tip: Have reduced Sleep Quality by a notch as the wall between the garden room and the room at front is n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you so much for posting this review, a decade, who can believe it! Very pleased that we met your expectations all those years ago and that you are still enjoying your annual stay with us. We work hard to keep the house and garden in tip top condition, apart from making scrumptious breakfasts, John is also a great handyman! We do have a lovely garden (and a squirrel!) He is so busy collecting nuts at the moment that he is not too interested in the bird seed, I think John is actually missing him! Thank you once again and see you next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matlock
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#4 of 53 in Matlock
Sheriff Lodge
Sheriff Lodge
#3 of 53 in Matlock

Been to Ellen House? Share your experiences!