“Nice but very Expensive. Half our party left hungry.”
Review of Stones Restaurant

Stones Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 130 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Dinner - Tuesday to Saturday 6.30-9pm. Lunch - Wednesday to Saturday 12-2pm. Tucked away in the heart of idyllic Matlock, Derbyshire, Stones is a modern, eclectic restaurant with a stylish, welcoming interior and a superb modern British menu. The restaurant, which added a new riverside conservatory in May 2013, is jointly run by Kevin Stone, Head Chef, partner, Jade Himsworth and sister, Katie Temple. Stones' riverside conservatory overlooks the babbling River Derwent. The menus change seasonally to reflect the very best in local produce, and the wine to match the food. Stones' philosophy is to provide a fantastic dining experience in a relaxed setting. The dining room which is popular with couples, locals and visitors, is a perfect place for romantic, family or business meals. Stones has been awarded two AA Rosettes for culinary excellence.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We visited Stones in September, we had an early sitting on a Saturday night.

I should state that the service was brilliant. The female owner? served us and she was friendly, lovely and exactly what you would want from a server. We had a 2 year old with us and she looked after her very well. She took the time to chat to us and made us feel very welcome.

We started with complimentary breads which were gorgeous, home made and warm. The different flavoured butters were a nice touch.

We were intending on ordering from the set menu, but there was a very small selection and no one fancied anything from it- It was just chicken or fish.

We all ordered starters and Mains. The food was nice but such small portions. I ordered beef and had maybe three little potatoes with it. It was very tasty, but most of our party were still hungry.

We ordered deserts and they were fairly large portions, but we would have much preferred a decent sized main course.

It was lovely food, but I think we paid in excess of £60 per person and my boyfriend asked for a bag of chips on the way home. We are a family that appreciates good food and have been to some very nice restaurants, we will happily pay for a lovely meal, but if the trade off is eating nice food, but not feeling satisfied, it makes the overall experience less enjoyable.

For this reason I wouldn't go again.

Looking at the other reviews, we must be in the minority, but I wanted to give an honest opinion.

2  Thank HHH1984

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding restaurant in Matlock. A real treat as its not cheap but it's brilliant on every level. Not our normal area but we stayed locally and were recommended to go. The staff are very good which made the night but the chef's delivered quality on every course.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Visited this restaurant on a number of times,and it never disappoints. The food and service are unbeatable, and Its intimate atmosphere makes it perfect for special occasions.Although there was outdoor seating,i think this may have been taken over by an extension to the restaurant? Stones is a place i would recommend without hesitation.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I chose this restaurant for my birthday on the reviews, and I was not disappointed. It's tiny, but this means that the service is great. Even on a thursday it was full and I know early booking is advised.
We started with champagne cocktails and complimentary breads with homemade butters. I honestly wanted to eat everyone else's portions, they were just that good. The menu only comprises of five of each course, and on first glance I wasn't sure I fancied any of them, but no matter what you order, all of these will be exceptional. I actually ended up having salmon for a starter and a main, but the imaginative use of ingredients meant that this was good anyway.
We weren't rushed and the food was delivered promptly but with enough time to break, and in between we were well looked after with drinks.
Yet again, with desserts, there were five gorgeous choices and with little room left we ended up sharing. We were then presented with homemade chocolates which is such a lovely finish.
It is quite expensive but it's far and away worth it. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I visited Stones for our anniversary dinner, and it was just fantastic. The service was prompt and friendly but not overbearing, and the waitress's recommendation for wine was spot on! You can tell the passion of the place when the staff can genuinely rave about the produce they serve. Everything was cooked perfectly, all fantastic quality but not pretentious. The highlight for me were the petit fours that come with tea or coffee, the most perfect chocolates I have ever eaten. For my husband it was the port, very smooth.

I've seen on the website that since we visited they've had a fire on the property - I hope they recover quickly, it is a fantastic establishment, and we hope to be able to visit it again when they reopen in March.

1  Thank beckyw81