Review Highlights

Reviewed September 20, 2018
kathyww1
Wirksworth, United Kingdom
via mobile
Change but not for the better

Reviewed December 16, 2018
casasuzy
Darley Dale, United Kingdom

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 16, 2018

I have been going to the Arc for excercise classes for around 6 years. I am a member and have seen first hand the recent change over from council run to a private company. Thankfully the staff are staying, however you can tell from them that they aren't happy. A particular problem is that the air conditioning in the exercise studio has been broken since around October, resulting in people not coming or feeling unwell during classes. Instead of getting it fixed, we have had some hired portable air conditioning units for a few weeks, however the money now seems to have run out for these and we are back to a couple of fans. The fans in my office are more effective than these. I keep coming because I like the classes and the staff - Becky and Dave are real highlights... but the lack of care and investment by the new owners is really shocking.

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank casasuzy
Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

I have been swimming at the Arc Leisure Centre since April 2018 as part of a physical recovery after illness. I have therefore seen the change to the partnership with freedom leisure. I have found the original staff from the council helpful despite a period of uncertainty for them.
The swimming pool itself is a great resource and when I started swimming it was clean and the changing area and showers were well maintained. However the standards do seem to be slipping. In particular there is a lot of chewing gum and black lumps on the floor and two toilets have been out of order for some time. I hope the management will address this.
The team running the cafe produce good food and accommodate gluten free needs well.

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank kathyww1
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

We have now been visiting this leisure centre on a weekly basis to swim. I can safely say this is the poorest leisure centre I have ever been to. The only reason we still use it, is purely because it is the most local.

The council and staff should be absolutely ashamed!! The changing facilities are disgusting; clumps of hair all over the floor, filthy floors, filthy showers and the toilets absolutely stink and look they haven't been cleaned for a week.

The swimming pool is absolutely freezing. It has been getting steadily colder week on week and I think they have just given up heating it altogether!

Absolutely appalling. The old lido that was pulled down was better than this new facility!

It has also taken 2 months to fix the ramp from the car park to the building and work is still not finished!

Date of experience: September 2017
9  Thank Colden0
Reviewed September 6, 2017

Visited for a spin class in their new room last Saturday morning... the instructor obviously hated her job and barely spoke let alone exhibited any enthusiasm or encouragement. Not worth paying for.

Date of experience: September 2017
2  Thank 2017rain
Reviewed August 15, 2017

Ordered a sandwich in the cafe after badminton! Will be the first and last time. Bread a little stale and not much filling.

Date of experience: August 2017